Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 13:45   #1
God Member

Should there be Community Festivals?

Hyndburn Borough Council have pulled funding for the Community Festivals - this includes The Wizard of Ozzy, Baxenden Bash, Go Scatty in Gatty, etc and the big Mela and Community Festival in Oakhill Park.

I'm on the committee for the Mela and Community Festival and we currently have £300 in the bank. We need about £12,000 to put on a free event similar to last year. We're in the process of applying to lots of people - Big Lottery, etc to get the funding we need.

So the question is simple - do you want these events to go ahead?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-04-2006, 13:51   #2
God Member

Re: Should there be Community Festivals?

How can it be free when it is going to cost £12,000pds?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 13:57   #3
Resting in Peace

These events Gail are good for thoses that go and like that sort of thing. An entry fee would help in planning for the year after as that would give you a start on the costings, but given the way some folks are fickle with parting with their hard earned brass guess that option out of the window.

Dont get me wrong I think that they should be carried on as otherwise there be no events for the people to go to (and later complain about) and enjoy the different asspects that are on offer.

If the events didn't go ahead it would also mean that (if asked to be in attendence) St John Ambulance would not have the duties which help to fund the local Division.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 14:11   #4
God Member

It's free to the public of Hyndburn.

That £12,000 will be sourced from places like the Big Lottery and/or Government funding. It will actually then be invested in the local area - for example, local bands who perform will be paid a fee, the stage hire is a local firm, the toilet hire is a local company, the printers who do the marketing literature are local. So by free - I mean free to people to attend.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 14:26   #5
God Member

So when did the ground rules on lottery funding change? I always believed that lottery grants were available for investment purposes only and that any project had to display both long-term sustainability and matching direct or local funding? How can a saturday afternoon singalong in the park, led by a bunch of third-rate flunkys, match this criteria?

Have this festival by all means, but don't expect us taxpayers & lottery users to pay for it. It should not be difficult to take the risk, organise the do, charge admission & make a profit out of it. Most other festivals appear to do so, otherwise they would not reaccur. But please - if you do go ahead, keep the volume down....some of us prefer a quiet saturday afternoon instead of having to listen to that rubbish being blasted all across town.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 14:30   #6
I am Banned

I thought you needed an organisation premesis to apply for a Lottery Grant. I think some festivals are good and worth spending money on... such as the Ossy Carnival and Accy Carnival, Christmas Displays etc. But I think there's so many that it gets boring now and again seeing the same old raffle stalls etc. But by all means good look with it.
thomas_045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 15:26   #7
God Member

These events are fine as long as it is for the local community and that that same community benifits from it.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 16:59   #8

I have seen the front page of the Observer about the short fall of Community money and festivals. Really I thought it was ridiculous and very typical of Hyndburn Brough Council. What I'd like to know is why is there only £300 in the pot? Where is the money and what do you spend it on? And when me and my mates organized the Community Festival in Oakhill Park with a few bands on (a few years ago) it didn't cost us £12,000.

Removals - no Job too small....or BIG

Last edited by mantrabooks; 03-04-2006 at 17:04.
mantrabooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 17:08   #9
I am Banned

Talking community festivals reply.

simply........no.
bad breath brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 17:47   #10
Resting in Peace

Blame the Government not the council

I think you will find that its not HBC that has cut the funding for these events but HMG, I;m sure we can't expect the council to carry on with this funding without government backing. It seems that the government keep withdrawing funding and expect councils to carry on finding alternative funding as well as keeping the council tax at exceptable levels:engsmil:
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 17:59   #11
I am Banned

Yeah true suppose. Want more money for festivals here and there. Then council tax is going to to up!
Old 03-04-2006, 18:02   #12
God Member

Yes, community spirit, civic pride, yet again.
I do think you should think about charging though, we're having a roman day here,as the last battle of boudica was here and instead of being in the town square(yes it's like trumpton) we've moved it to the carnival field. It's £5 per adult, I think thats steep, but the romans obviously don't think so. SO if your event is decent and it should be for 12,000 why not consider it.
The only council that funds anything here is the town council, usually out of the 714 pot.

Can you not involve the shops with these events?
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 18:04   #13

Events like this don't hold any interest for me so my answer is a resounding no, personally I think they are a complete waste of money.
Old 03-04-2006, 18:11   #14
I am Banned

Yeah waste of money. Unless there is some major attraction there which will get people to come. Such as McFLY performing or sommat? lol. Put a £5 charge on that and you will be rolling in it!

No1 is interested in these unknown bands these days.
Old 03-04-2006, 18:29   #15

Angry Re: Should there be Community Festivals?

Party in the park used to be good at Oakhill Park. It was a regular on my calendar every year. But for some reason it changed into the Mela in the park thing! music for the masses I suppose.
ChrisMG is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..