Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-04-2007, 18:58   #1
God Member

Should we be letting supermarkets/chainstores establish in our town?

I ask this question as i've come across it quite a lot recently.

With the influx of chain stores and supermarkets, the homogenising of towns across the UK is well under way. Many, many towns are exactly the same, and I'd argue that although supermarkets bring jobs, and hence putting money in to our community, is that really the case? How much money do we lose from our town being just another chain store location?

I had the delight of wandering around the North Quarter (or at least thats what I think its called) in Manchester. There were a lot of independent shops all selling unique things that I hadn't come across before. It was really interesting unlike the countless clones of chain stores in Manchester town center.

Is it really to our benefit that supermarkets (namely Tesco) have so much power around the country? Forcing local shops to close, paying farmers a pittance, importing goods from around the world as they're cheaper than our homemade alternatives?

Tescos and other such companies have considerable influence in many places of power. They employ just under 300thousand people, thats a considerable amount of bargaining power with any government.

Do we really want a further expansion of profit driven supermarkets and unattractive, uninteresting clone towns?
Old 26-04-2007, 19:01   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Should we be letting supermarkets/chainstores establish in our town?

In a word......NO.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 19:02   #3
God Member

It's all down to Market Forces.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 19:14   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

used too have quite a few independants in accy, and in my opinion the town was much better for them, sadly as yerself said = Market Forces, dont make it more palatable, but thats the way of it.
Old 26-04-2007, 19:20   #5
God Member

I dont like it Cyfr, but I also dont like the amount of pound and charity shops we have either, I would love to see more independants in Accy but they probably couldn't afford the rent, esp in the Arndale.
Old 26-04-2007, 19:28   #6
God Member

in Blackburn we have 6 supermarkets...morrisons, asda, (several) tesco's, aldi, lidl and netto, even though they do create jobs they also kill jobs too....there was only 1 english butcher between Accrington and Blackburn (i mean between blackburn rd and accy rd) he wasnt making much profit thanx to cheaper supermarkets, his shop was just passed intack traffic lights, earlier this year he had to close the shop due to lack of trade, its not fair that such things are happening, i would rather go round a traditional market and buy traditional local food than go to the supermarkets which arent environmentally friendly, they import most of there groceries from other countries which doesn't help the earth at all.
Old 26-04-2007, 19:29   #7
Resting in Peace

Not just down to market forces, but also to the needs of modern society.
Before a council grant planning permission, the first question they ask themselves is 'Is there a need for this facility?'. Research is done incuding asking large slices of the community. Unfortunately, we are all busy people these days, and do not have the luxury of wandering around from shop to shop looking for unusual articles or going to the market for veg, local butcher for meat and hardware shop, etc. for varying items.

You still a student Cyfr .. wait 'til you have joined us workers, parents, etc., and see if you still can grant yourself the time to wander leisurely around. Reply in 10 years time.

Sad I grant you .. particularly with Tescos ... they are the bullies, and never been refused yet. Like the application for Gt.Harwood .. I don't see a need for them .. the Co-op/Whiteheads are excellent and to me no need for anymore, but let us see what happens.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 19:42   #8

I would say no but the Tesco Bakery is a god send. Chocolate Croissant
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 19:47   #9

sad as it is with money so tight and taxes so high most people look for econemy .
Old 26-04-2007, 19:52   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
sad as it is with money so tight and taxes so high most people look for econemy .
Exactly davo .. (hope your hand better,by the way) .. and with house prices rising so much now, have no choice, have we?

We are an enemy to ourselves.

By the way Cyfr did you, by any chance, buy anything ? x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 20:06   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Exactly davo .. (hope your hand better,by the way) .. and with house prices rising so much now, have no choice, have we?

We are an enemy to ourselves.

By the way Cyfr did you, by any chance, buy anything ? x
From Manchester? No, but thats because I had stopped over at a friends and had no money on me, if I had money on me i'd have bought items from several of the shops.

Actually I tell a lie, I did buy a tshirt with the £10 I had.
Old 26-04-2007, 20:45   #12

katex hand still bad waiting for mra scan
Old 26-04-2007, 21:17   #13
God Member

I rarely visit any shop of any kind - I can buy all I want and /or need on the internet and have it delivered. More and more people will realise that this is the new way to shop and the town centres will die anyway.

Ps - hairdressers,dentists, optcians,chiropodists, doctors need personal attendance but chemists deliver

Last edited by MargaretR; 26-04-2007 at 21:23.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 21:20   #14
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I have to agree with Flashytart on this one. Supermarkets not only create jobs but they cost the jobs of those working in smaller shops. I do like to get fresh stuff off the market and when I'm not working I will often go market shopping. On days out we will normally find an independent butchers or farmer's market and come home with enough different flavoured sausage to fill the freezer and tons of cheeses. I don't believe that supermarkets are much cheaper than smaller shops, if the cost of tonights shopping at Tesco is anything to go by......

I'm having to have a glass of wine to get over it..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 21:21   #15

and more jobs will go. lets get more lazy and stay in doors .

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..