Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2004, 10:36   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Smoking

willow my example was of one car in an enclosed space in reality we are talking hundreds of thousands of cars in an open space out come in a few years wont be far from the same!
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-11-2004, 10:37   #32
God Member

I think the general thrust of comments so far is that there are far more things that can kill you, quicker than passive smoking. But these things are not legislated against. Passive smoking on the other hand is the current fashionable moral panic. It is hysteria whipped up by the media and politicians are only too happy to jump on any bandwagon they see as having the potential to improve their flagging popularity.

Despite protestations to the contrary, there is no proven 100% watertight link between passive smoking and cancer in non smokers. The environment and the food we eat and our sedentary lifestyles contibute every bit as much to the increasing incidence of cancer, if not more so.

"Oh but Roy Castle Died of Passive Smoking". No he didn't, he died of lung cancer, which was just as likley to have been caused by environmental factors or genetic predisposition. The media is very good at finding people who will testify in support of any thesis it wishes to advance, on the basis that people are, by and large, sheep in search of a shepherd.

Flat-pack Furniture. Now there's a little known hazard. It gives off formaldehyde, a recognised carcinogen, and yet you fill your house with the stuff, breathe in the fumes and then wonder why, twenty years later, you have developed lung cancer!
Old 26-11-2004, 11:00   #33
Resident Waffler

Can you explain to me how my computer desk is currently giving off formaldehyde? Does this happen on a daily basis? Are there any situations which cause it to happen to a greater or lesser degree? Should I be wearing a gas mask as I type?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 11:27   #34
God Member

Yes. If it is made of MDF or Chipboard it gives off the formaldehyde continually. It is due to the glues they use to keep the wood chips and fibres together. this is why it is advised that you wear masks when cutting MDF. Chuck it out and get a metal or glass one. Better still see if you can find an old office desk. a bit of sanding and a couple of coats of varnish and hey presto, a piece of furniture that is attractive, solid and is an example of recycling in action. Mucho brownie points!
Old 26-11-2004, 11:34   #35
Senior Member+

Looks I be dead soon then...
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 11:36   #36
God Member

That's life mate. Make the most of it while you've got it.
Old 26-11-2004, 11:54   #37
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Better still see if you can find an old office desk. a bit of sanding and a couple of coats of varnish and hey presto, a piece of furniture that is attractive, solid and is an example of recycling in action. Mucho brownie points!
Except for the bits about about sanding, varnishing looking attractive etc you've just described my desk A-B. It's one of those utility jobbies made during the post war years. As well as having plenty of space on top for all my p.c. equipment it has lots of drawers, a little tray thing for pens paperclips etc. and the best thing of all this must have been put on here by some guy that could see into the future, a little slide in & out piece of wood that is ideal for my mouse, puts it right were I want it. If I was ever to clear the accumulated litter from the top of my desk I would probably need to give it a coat of varnish but as it is I think it has that homely appeal to it that means I'll never part with it.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2004, 14:57   #38
God Member

This is from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

"Formaldehyde, a colorless, pungent-smelling gas, can cause watery eyes, burning sensations in the eyes and throat, nausea, and difficulty in breathing in some humans exposed at elevated levels (above 0.1 parts per million). High concentrations may trigger attacks in people with asthma. There is evidence that some people can develop a sensitivity to formaldehyde. It has also been shown to cause cancer in animals and may cause cancer in humans. Health effects include eye, nose, and throat irritation; wheezing and coughing; fatigue; skin rash; severe allergic reactions. May cause cancer. May also cause other effects listed under "organic gases." EPA's Integrated Risk Information System profile -..."
Old 26-11-2004, 15:38   #39
Senior Member+

i dont see why non smokers av 2 suffer
Old 26-11-2004, 15:57   #40
Resident Waffler

And all these years I thought people wore masks when cutting MDF so they didn't breathe in the little diddy dust particles just because dust makes you cough etc. Maybe all MDF should carry a government health warning.

Old 29-11-2004, 12:45   #41
Resting in peace

Can't remember where I read it, think it was the Evening Standard, but somebody worked out that if you walk the length of Oxford Street, you take in as much pollution as smoking 20 cigarettes!

The only sure way is to do a Bill Clinton - don't inhale!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2004, 14:18   #42
Beacon of light

Bill Clinton SAID he didn't inhale, but do we believe him after he was caught cheating??
That's just a by the by.......I have to say I have learned some very interesting bits of information from this thread......and I am glad to be able to say that my PC sits on an unvarnished pine desk.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 05:24   #43

I thought Formaldehyde was what they used when embalming?

And that ants were full of the stuff?

So does my aunt need embalming?? or shall I buy a new desk?
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2004, 07:38   #44
Resident Waffler

If I were your aunt I'd be worrying round about now.

I'll stick with the desk I've got - otherwise I'd only be contributing to global pollution by dumping the thing anyway.

Formalin is a trade name for a solution containing 40 per cent methanal (formaldehyde)and 60 per cent water or water and methyl alcohol; it is employed as a disinfectant, insecticide, fungicide, and deodorant. Formaldehyde is used extensively in the chemical industry in the synthesis of organic compounds. Its most important use is in the manufacture of synthetic resins. Recent tests have indicated that it is a carcinogen

Maybe we should all check our disinfectants and deodorants too. (not to mention the insecticides and fungicides - what do they use on good old traditional fly paper?)

Old 30-11-2004, 07:52   #45
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

We use Formalin quite extensively at work. It is used to preserve body tissues which are going to the lab for histology examination. It's nasty stuff to work with, it is also used in the cleaning of some instruments.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..