Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 17:33   #31
Resting in Peace

Re: smoking at home???

Surely, if just the smell, cannot be a legitimate claim, the law is being brought in because of passive smoking, is it not? Lots of worse smells.

How would council workers know if you had been smoking one hour before they arrived anyway? one puff of me apple and honeysuckle air freshener and, Eh, Presto, all gone !

If they get away with it won't be long before the neighbour retaliates here on every little incident with regard to the complainer, and lots of waring neighbours will abound throughout the country.

I am troubled by certain air fresheners, and seeing its now a nation of plug-ins, sprays, blocks, scented cleaners, candles ... could start with that one. Don't even mention Vanilla.

As far as I am concerned 'An Englishman's home (in this case Englishwoman's home) is his castle' and having paid out heavy mortgage repayments in the past, that is the way it is going to Bl**dy well stay !!
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-01-2007, 17:40   #32
Resident Waffler

I know that some asthma sufferers do have problems with smoke (or even air fresheners or hair spray and aerosol deodorants) and an elderly friend of mine (now deceased) who had severe breathing difficulties was unable to live in a sheltered accomodation complex where other residents smoked but I've never known anyone else who had such severe problems. He couldn't even breathe in a flat whose previous residents had been smokers. The complex didn't ban all residents from smoking though - he found a alternative where he had his own bungalow with a warden.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 18:03   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I know that some asthma sufferers do have problems with smoke (or even air fresheners or hair spray and aerosol deodorants) and an elderly friend of mine (now deceased) who had severe breathing difficulties was unable to live in a sheltered accomodation complex where other residents smoked but I've never known anyone else who had such severe problems. He couldn't even breathe in a flat whose previous residents had been smokers. The complex didn't ban all residents from smoking though - he found a alternative where he had his own bungalow with a warden.
Ah, but there you go Willow, re. Jambutty's remarks on car fumes, these seemingly are the biggest killers of asthma sufferers.

Not really about people who already have a known disease though really is it ? More about the potential of contracting one. With lots of asthma sufferers, can also be pshycosomatic, animals, stress, etc., .. my friend's attacks are brought on by her cat whom she loves dearly, but no way will she get rid, even though it may prove fatal to her one day. So, do we get rid of those too (shut up Chav) and other triggers. Don't think a fair point.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 18:14   #34
God Member

Ok i smoke and if i go to my sisters who doesnt smoke i either dont smoke or stand out in the back garden with my bro in law who smokes cigars. If i go to my other sisters who does smoke but not in her house only at the back door exactly the same there smoke at the back door normally with her cadging a cig as well. If i go out anywhere to anybody's house i dont smoke unless they say i can do and even then most of the time i wont smoke because its their house and i dont want to make their house smell especially if they dont smoke. My house is a different story - its MY house so why cant i smoke in it. I've bought it - its mine so why should i be stopped doing something in my own house what i want to do? My mum & dad had a rule - only smoke downstairs not up in the bedrooms especially after my mum nearly set fire to house falling asleep with a cig in her mouth.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 00:32   #35
Give, give, give member

We mustn't forget that this is still a story in a newspaper. No one has been fined or even stopped from smoking in their own homes.

The council received a complaint, and are quite rightly investigating it.

I presume it was the two smokers who went to the press with the story. They might be quite happy if it turns out the council's enquiry reveals that infact their house is made out of straw, and could have been huffed, and puffed, and blown over by any passing evil wolf.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:36   #36
Resident Waffler

My point was that the chap who had breathing problems sorted out his own solution and I think it's up to the non-smoking couple to check where there house lets smoke through from next door and to sort that out themselves. If they have any holes it's up to them to block them up, npt demand that the neighbours stop smoking.

There could be an ironic 'solution' to this if the council insists that the neighbours smoke outside - the smoke could drift over the fence and in through the windows!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:56   #37
God Member

That will be the next complaint Willow, you cant smoke in your garden!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:33   #38
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: smoking at home???

The person who made the complaint has opened a whole can of worms, which the local authority can close by telling the complainant to go away and not to be so silly. But will they?

If I were the couple who are now facing an investigation I would come back with a counter complaint about the vehicle exhaust fumes coming into their home from the complainant’s car, if s/he has one and s/he probably does.

It seems to me that more and more people seem to think that the world revolves around them and demand that the world must change to their requirements.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:06   #39
God Member

I still cant work out how the smoke got into the house next door. Were they drilling holes into the wall through to the house next door and blow in smoke while having a fag? Mad ruddy mad.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 15:40   #40
Resident Waffler

Floorboards Spuggie - that's my theory. A gap between floorboards and skirting and am underfloor cavity.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..