Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2007, 18:11   #1

Unhappy So Busy

I work in a shop in Accy (don't wanna say which one) every Saturday. I've been there for two and a half years and loved it.... but it can get very busy.... and we get alot of complaints.... alot... I've even had people been very abusive over how big the queues are... but the company won't employ anyone... people shout like it's our fault the queues are huge.
When I'm shopping and have to wait ages, I don't bat an eyelid... It's stressful enough that we have huge queues... but they just won't take on more staff.
Lea
x
ploppysirploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-06-2007, 18:20   #2
God Member

Re: So Busy

How frustrating for you.You don't know how rude some people can be until you've had a job dealing with the general public do you? I know I've had to bite my tongue on a few occasions at work when people have become abusive.I say to them something like 'I can understand your frustrations but please don't speak to me like that,I'm doing my best to help you.If you carry on with your abusive language I shall terminate the call.'
I deal with customers over the phone rather than face to face you see.Keeping calm and assertive usually has the desired effect and they calm down.If you're lucky they might even apologise! It's not easy though when you just feel like telling them to shove it,I know.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 18:27   #3
God Member

I'd tell them "My employer won't employ additional staff to meet the demand so please take it up with them" and give them an address.
Old 23-06-2007, 18:28   #4

Thank god someone else knows the feeling... it's horrible... even been brought to tears in the middle of the shop because of stress and customers throwing a paddy... that was even more embarrassing than being called all sorts in front of a huge queue. I wish I had you're patience... I just go bright red and stutter hehe
Lea
x
Old 23-06-2007, 18:29   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

know what you mean, suppose i was lucky,used to have my own business, if i used to get an obnoxious customer my favourite line was - Never mistake me for someone who gives a s***, worked very well most of the time.
Old 23-06-2007, 18:35   #6

Lol, I should use that line....don't care if i get sacked... I'm leaving for Uni anyway
Lea
x
Old 23-06-2007, 21:17   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploppysirploppy View Post
Lol, I should use that line....don't care if i get sacked... I'm leaving for Uni anyway
Lea
x
Never leave a job on those terms ploppy ..even a Saturday job looks good on a CV .. bite yer tongue til then..x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2007, 21:31   #8
Resting in Peace

What's know as professionalism .. summat you may find is important in today's 'buzz' world of commercial enterprises.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 17:15   #9
Senior Member+

Ploppy if they actually do recruit then will you send us a pm im after a job

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 18:06   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Never leave a job on those terms ploppy ..even a Saturday job looks good on a CV .. bite yer tongue til then..x
I'm with Katex on this one......in fact I used to say...
Be sure your words are soft and sweet, you never know from day to day which ones of them you'll have to eat!

There is never any justification for rudeness, be it from a sales assistant to a customer or vice versa.
If a customer is rude and you are rude, back then you have just lowered your standards down to theirs......and that can't be a good thing.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2007, 18:07   #11
Beacon of light

And who knows....you may want to work during those long Uni holidays.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 06:52   #12

All true indeedy... I've already been suspended in the passed.... not for those reasons.. in fact I think it was very unfair I got suspended.... (it was paid suspension and apparently I wasn't meant to be suspended so I'm not fussy!).. do you think people looking for staff would take that into account.... My reasons are fair!
Lea
x
Old 25-06-2007, 07:35   #13
Resident Waffler

Unfortunately yes anyone looking for staff will draw up a short list and if there's any reason to suspect you might not be an ideal member of staff you are likely not to make the short list.

I had a job which involved dealing with the general public and sometimes the general public can be a total pain in the posterior, especially when they are complaining about something over which you have no control.

They used to moan about us having less staff on the counter during the busy lunchtime periods but we actually took on part time staff to work those specific hours so that the full time staff could have staggered lunch breaks.

You just can't please some people but it's best to learn to distance yourself from the aggro. You can choose to let it upset you and get you stressed or you can choose to ignore them, be pleasant to them, and just get on with it. They are then the ones who look like unreasonable idiots and you look like a professional who does a good job. If someone is shouting and bawling at you you can choose not to acknowledge them until they calm down and behave in a civilised manner.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 07:57   #14
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Oh dear, I have to agree that working with the general public sometimes leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. If you struggle with abuse from the public then don't ever apply for a job in the NHS....

We are terminally short staffed and most Trusts have a recruitment freeze at the moment as far as nursing staff are concerned. We tend to find that patient's relatives are the worst when it comes to abusing staff, the poor patient usually apologises for their relative's outburst after they have gone.

I usually recommend that complaints about waiting times etc are directed to your MP. It's no good complaining to NHS managers, you will receive an apology but nothing will ever be done about the lack of nursing staff on the wards until the government realise that the cash poured into the NHS is being vastly mis-spent on needless managers, accountants and hare-brained schemes.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 08:14   #15

I know exactly how you feel Ploppy!! I work in a really busy service station.... we are so busy that we never have less than 6 cars lined up at each petrol pump... from the minute we open until almost closing time... people have to wait to get petrol.. then they have to wait to pay... we have 8 pumps and 2 cash registers.... its mad... we get abused constantly about waiting times, and we get the blame when the cost goes up... which really is nothing to do with us... the oil company sets the price.. not the retail outlet... and if a customer decides to wander round the shop to buy something, then we get abused even more by the ones waiting behind them at the pump, because they were held up longer waiting for the person to find what they want to buy.

Still life is never dull there and the days fly by because its so busy!!
eggstoocool is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..