Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-09-2006, 18:58   #1
Senior Member+

Speed Camera's

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the "English Law" thread started by Jambutty or not.

It's just been stated on channel 4 news that a speed camera can only be erected if there has been 4 deaths on a certain stretch of road in a 12 month period. I live opposite a speed camera, & i can definately say that there hasn't even been 4 minor accidents outside my house, let alone 4 deaths. Does this make the camera illegal?

I've lived at my current address for 2 and a half years, before that, i lived about 200 yards away from the camera. I was at that address before the camera was installed.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-09-2006, 19:17   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Speed Camera's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyJay
Does this make the camera illegal?
No.

Don't believe everything you hear on the TV. They use several criteria on selecting camera sites not just deaths. This was explained by the chap responsible for it in Lancashire at one of the Ossy Area Council Meetings. The Local Council can also request for a camera to be installed as well, I can't remember the reasons for this. Supposedly Lancashire pretty much has camera's everywhere that meets the criteria. I think the Council can request for an road to be made a mobile speed trap area as well
Old 27-09-2006, 19:22   #3
Senior Member+

The guy making the comment was a govenment minister though.

Old 27-09-2006, 19:25   #4
God Member

Well, that says it all really!!!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 19:44   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Iraq has weapons of mass destruction. Enough said?
Old 27-09-2006, 20:29   #6
Resident Waffler

Quote:
In that case I'd be even less inclined to take notice.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 20:49   #7
God Member

A govenment minister can spread more cowpats in one day than a 250 head of Friesians.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2006, 22:48   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
talk about shoot yerself in the foot.
Old 27-09-2006, 23:14   #9
Senior Member+

lol. You all know what i was getting at.

Nearly forgot my smiley then, don't want people thinking that i can't take a joke. lol

Old 30-09-2006, 10:14   #10

I think they put speed camera,s were there going to make most money,it must catch a lot of people speeding,while we have speed cameras the goverment will not spend money on marked road crossings, underpasses,educating people to cross roads correctly,pedestrian bridges,even the good old Zebra crossing,not only that I think if they are going to invest more money on cameras what about making one that checks the braking distance of the person behind you,
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 16:34   #11
Senior Member+

The one thing that always amazes me, is that, there never seems to be a camera outside a school. Is it just me, doesn't this seem like one of the most logical places to put one?

Old 30-09-2006, 17:03   #12
God Member

Good point. Sadley at certain times of the day the trafic is that slow that the only thing that could be speeding is a school kid on a racer.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 30-09-2006, 17:09   #13
Senior Member+

I live near to a school, & although the surrounding area is a 20MPH zone, a lot of the parents seem to forget this after their little cherub is safely in the back seat.

I think it was the top police officer from Sheffield, who said that he wanted more camera's near schools, & that he also wanted certain the camera's in the city turned off after 11:30pm.

Old 30-09-2006, 19:17   #14
God Member

We have a nursery a high school and a primary school in a abot a 3rd of a mile stretch of road which is restricted to 20mph. It also has flashing 20mph signs to remind then. There is also a set of bottle necking points at each of the sites yet it seems a damned site more dangerous because of it, hence I would like to see cameras.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 30-09-2006, 23:19   #15
Junior Member+

Quote:
I wasn't sure whether to put this in the "English Law" thread started by Jambutty or not.

It's just been stated on channel 4 news that a speed camera can only be erected if there has been 4 deaths on a certain stretch of road in a 12 month period. I live opposite a speed camera, & i can definately say that there hasn't even been 4 minor accidents outside my house, let alone 4 deaths. Does this make the camera illegal?

I've lived at my current address for 2 and a half years, before that, i lived about 200 yards away from the camera. I was at that address before the camera was installed.
Doesn't matter. If there have to be 4 deaths they will either say there were or they will probably just kill 4 people anyway, job done.
LenWeekes is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..