Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2005, 19:28   #16
God Member

Re: Spitfire

Apparently there's a timer thing on the Spitfire that's unique. The guns are really close to the body of the plane and so there is a clever bit of technology that means that the bullets don't rip the propellors to shreds by shooting out exactly in between them. This is according to Chris by the way, I know nothing about planes.

Don't know why that would relate to anything today but that's why I suggested wristwatches.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle Knight; 16-09-2005 at 19:35.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-09-2005, 19:49   #17
Resident Waffler

I'm brain dead tonight but I seem to recollect there being a timer on some planes in WWI but don't ask me what because I can't remember.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 19:50   #18
Resident Waffler

I'm brain dead tonight but I seem to recollect there being a timer on some planes in WWI but don't ask me what because I can't remember.

Old 16-09-2005, 19:51   #19
Resident Waffler

Old 16-09-2005, 19:58   #20
God Member

I'll keep the 100 ackers and put you all out of your misery. Bearing in mind the uniform Gayle is pictured wearing in this week's 'Observer' I thought she may have been nearer. The item referred to has probably been used by some of the ladies on Accyweb.

The Maclaren Baby Buggy is one of those great stories of British invention. The book "Century Makers" lists the Maclaren buggy as one of the hundred clever things we take for granted which have changed our lives over the last century.

It all began in 1965 when Owen Maclaren designed and patented his prototype Baby Buggy. As a former test pilot and aeronautical designer, Owen Maclaren had been involved in the design of the Spitfire fighter plane undercarriage before World War II and therefore had immense knowledge of lightweight, rigid, load-bearing structures capable of folding neatly.
He was spurred on by a visit from his daughter, her airline director husband, and his first grandchild who was born in the United States. The trip to England meant coping with an unwieldy pram. So, after finding himself wheeling his grandchild around in a clumsy, heavy conventional pushchair, he had the inspiration to improve the humble vehicle. He did more. He invented a new generation of baby transport.

Full story here:http://www.maclaren.co.uk/

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 16-09-2005 at 20:11.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 20:45   #21
God Member

Just because I was wearing an RAF uniform don't be fooled that I may have any knowledge about planes whatsoever. I wore it because it fit. Actually, it was too big and the Army uniform fitted me far better but it wouldn't have been fair to put Clare into the RAF uniform, she'd have been swamped by it.

By the way, it was so big I started way below the surface of it.

Old 16-09-2005, 20:46   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
You can wait for hours and then three come along all at once.

Old 16-09-2005, 21:55   #23
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
You can wait for hours and then three come along all at once.
Now I feel like a number 7 bus!

I haven't a clue what happened there Gayle. The last post was the one I was aiming for but the two before it both have something missing (one a smiley and the other the colour!)

On the subject of baby buggies. Yes I used them but I'd never have guessed the answer.

Old 18-09-2005, 12:09   #24

The wheels possibly, are they not used as caravan wheels or something? Or was it wheelbarrows?

Last edited by Phylum; 18-09-2005 at 12:30.
Phylum is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..