Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-03-2010, 22:32   #16
God Member

Re: Spring

The trees around my place show no signs of spring yet

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-03-2010, 22:50   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
The trees around my place show no signs of spring yet
As every knows - The first day of Spring is 20/3/ 10. just in time to wake Paddy up after the 17th.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 23:15   #18
God Member

8c this afternoon .... bbq weather; most of my neighbours were out burning meat on the grill .... general concensus was "nice day, eh" ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 09:32   #19
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
depends yerself .. if they start singing at 4am like they did this morning .. then they may just not be around again to see the sun coming up ..
The little sods were at it at 11pm last night in Rishton but it serves me right for feeding them all every day.

We've just started the gardening round in earnest and I think we're due a collossal ladybird infestation this year as we've noticed them as early as January.

That's very good news for the birds though, plenty of extra food!

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 15:46   #20
Senior Member+

17 deg today, Acacia in full bloom as is the Camelia (expected), bulbs flowering, hazel catkins, new shoots evrywhere and of course the weeds are trying to get a head start on everything else. Left the uoutside light on late last nigh - when i went to turn it off at about 2230 there were birds at the feeders and a mouse scavenging under the feeders. - Spring is here for me.
Old 17-03-2010, 17:55   #21
God Member

About 8c today, with lots of sunshine ... more flights of geese heading north ... a couple of dozen squirrels in my yard .... and the coons out in force at night ... snowdrops out, tulips pushing up .... and if it were not for the snow in the long range forecast, I would say spring is here.
Old 17-03-2010, 18:20   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
About 8c today, with lots of sunshine ... more flights of geese heading north ... a couple of dozen squirrels in my yard .... and the coons out in force at night ... snowdrops out, tulips pushing up .... and if it were not for the snow in the long range forecast, I would say spring is here.
Our UK winter seems to have been as long and almost as cold/snowy as yours this time, but maybe we have suffered more hardship because our municiple services didn't cope like yours.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 18:28   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Our UK winter seems to have been as long and almost as cold/snowy as yours this time, but maybe we have suffered more hardship because our municiple services didn't cope like yours.
In general, Canada seems to have had one of the warmest, shortest winters on record ... and there are lots of negatives on this one ... heard on the news yesterday that the govt. of Manitoba has closed the winter roads heading to their northern communties ... this is about a month earlier than usual. The muskeg is thawing ... trucks are stranded in the mud ... truckers are being airlifted out from their abandoned vehicles, and northern communities (all First Nations) are running short of supplies ... those living in the Red River valley are bracing for the floods both in southern Manitoba and in North Dakota ...

But I do agree that we are better prepared for winter weather than most.
Old 18-03-2010, 18:30   #24
God Member

Ooops ... "muskeg" ... well anyone interested has Google ... of course, for those among you who speak Algonquian, it shouldn't be a problem

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..