Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2012, 18:04   #1
Senior Member+

St Swithin's Day 15th July

St Swithin's day falls on a Sunday this year - 15th July
Going off the weather we have been having, I thought St Swithin's day HAD ALREADY HAPPENED.

St Swithin's Day is the day that people traditionally keep an eye on the weather. This custom arose as, according to old folklore dating back to the Elizabethan times, whatever the weather is like on St Swithin's Day it will continue to be so for the next forty days.
St Swithin's Day Poem

St Swithin's day if thou dost rain
For forty days it will remain
St Swithin's day if thou be fair
For forty days twill rain nae mair.

So if it rains on St Swithin's Day, you can expect to have rain for the next forty days. If it's fine and sunny this is what you can expect instead.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-07-2012, 18:29   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: St Swithin's Day 15th July

Ya as I saw this on another web site, in the bible it rained for 40 days and 40 nights and was called a disaster, in Britain we call it Summer
Old 13-07-2012, 18:41   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya as I saw this on another web site, in the bible it rained for 40 days and 40 nights and was called a disaster, in Britain we call it Summer
You guys are lucky ... we are going thru the hottest summer on record. And very little rain. There is already a fire ban in this part of the province. The corn will soon start to suffer, although the winter wheat crop was good. The hay crop is way down this year; so, we can expect to pay more for dairy products and beef. And it looks like there will be no relief, and very little rain, until at least Labour Day
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 21:05   #4
Beacon of light

So that means the whole of the school holidays will be wet if it rains on St Swithins day.
I think I will see if I can get a bed on the psychiatric wing.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2012, 22:07   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
So that means the whole of the school holidays will be wet if it rains on St Swithins day.
I think I will see if I can get a bed on the psychiatric wing.
Get your hypodemic nurdles out and sedate the little beggars.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 01:34   #6
God Member

as long as rhianna dosnt re-release umbrella song we may get a sniff at some sunshine.I swear the whole time that song was at number 1 it rained

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 09:02   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
as long as rhianna dosnt re-release umbrella song we may get a sniff at some sunshine.I swear the whole time that song was at number 1 it rained
Who's Rhianna
Old 14-07-2012, 09:44   #8
God Member

Quote:
Who's Rhianna
a woman who won the american lotto the other year and paid for her own production of a song then bought enough coppies to get it to number one

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 14-07-2012, 09:52   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
a woman who won the american lotto the other year and paid for her own production of a song then bought enough coppies to get it to number one
Oh just another self important Yank then
Old 14-07-2012, 10:28   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
You guys are lucky ... we are going thru the hottest summer on record. And very little rain. There is already a fire ban in this part of the province. The corn will soon start to suffer, although the winter wheat crop was good. The hay crop is way down this year; so, we can expect to pay more for dairy products and beef. And it looks like there will be no relief, and very little rain, until at least Labour Day
Same here Eric -we've just finished one heat wave after another -now Minos the Minotaur is up on it's way from Africa and we're due to go up to 42°C by all accounts next week! (Minos is an anti-cyclone BTW, Carontes has just passed off!)

Could do with some of that lovely British rain....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 10:31   #11
God Member

Quote:
Oh just another self important Yank then
nah was only kidding mate shes actually got a good voice and pretty pleasing to the eye

Old 14-07-2012, 10:34   #12
God Member

Quote:
nah was only kidding mate shes actually got a good voice and pretty pleasing to the eye
Do you mean the rihanna who sings with Coldplay on Princess of China? Great song - love it!! Am listening to it now

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 10:45   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Don't do modern day whining accyman that's why I probably didn't know her

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..