Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 13:57   #1
Senior Member+

Stanhill POW Camp

I have read the previous old threds on this, and there is some excellent information.

I wonder if there are any structures, bunkers, Pill Boxs,ect left on the site where it was?

Has anyone been to the site or know its location, the nearest I can think it could be is around here.
Flash Earth ...satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash

The reason I am interested is I would like to see, photograph any remaining evidence there.

I get the feeling though its long gone.

Thanks for any info.

Ps if there are any other remains of historic/forgotten places in accrington that would make a good visit, search for please let me know as I would like to document them also.
Old 03-08-2007, 16:10   #2
God Member

Re: Stanhill POW Camp

This site includes an acual plan of Stanhill camp but doesnt show where it was in Stanhill
Prisoners of War
PS a bit more info here - sounds like there are some visible remains
Highways Agency - Roads to the Past: Trunk Roads and Archaeology - 1999 report

Last edited by MargaretR; 03-08-2007 at 16:12.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 16:25   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This site includes an acual plan of Stanhill camp but doesnt show where it was in Stanhill
Prisoners of War
PS a bit more info here - sounds like there are some visible remains
Highways Agency - Roads to the Past: Trunk Roads and Archaeology - 1999 report
Thanks for the Info, I had seen the first link, which shows the map of the place, One of the main things that got me wanting to find it.

Shame though as the second link kinda spoiled it.

Quote:
All that remains of the camp are the concrete foundations and floors of the barrack block.
Still might take a look up sometime though.

Ah well, on to find another hidden/Unseen part of our wonderfull area.
Old 03-08-2007, 16:25   #4
God Member

It appears that some of the camp has been covered by the motorway.

The Christmas when enemies became friends: Town recalls a memorable day in history

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 16:56   #5
God Member

this is interesting , I have allways been under the impression the camp housed Italian POWs not Germans , just going off the recollections of my Mum and her friends who were teenage girls at the time and living around West End
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 17:14   #6

The motorway was built over most of it a few years ago, the BBC did a Timewatch documentary on it just before it happened. My grandad was one of the German POW's kept at Stanhill and was interviewed for the programme at the site.
Old 03-08-2007, 17:33   #7
Give, give, give member

My grandparents, as well as my great aunt and uncle who had a farm up Stanhill, were on the programme, some details of which are on this site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british..._pows_01.shtml

There's information on here too, although there is a mistake, it was York Street Methodist Church which took the prisoners in for Christmas dinner, and not Mount Pleasant.

TV tale of how Germans PoWs became friends

There is more information and photographs at Ossy Mills for anyone interested.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 18:28   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
this is interesting , I have allways been under the impression the camp housed Italian POWs not Germans , just going off the recollections of my Mum and her friends who were teenage girls at the time and living around West End

There were Italians in the camp but, later, it was Germans. I can just about remember them (I was only 2 when the war ended) as they used to be allowed out of the camp on "passes".
Old 03-08-2007, 20:29   #9
Resting in peace

I knew a bloke that was a prisoner of war in Stanhill, he was the production manager at a hardware/diy company in Darwen. he called himself Joe, he was a Parachute Regiment soldier in the German Army. He married a local girl and settled in Lower Darwen. It is a few years since I last saw him, but I would like to bet he is still living in 'L D' the firm he worked for was called Woodside Products. If anyone knows if Joe is still living there, please let me know. Thank's Ian.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 20:34   #10

recently went on a cruise first port of call kirkhall orkney islands went to see the italian chapel which was built by italian prisoners of war during the second world war roundabout 1944 The inside of the chapel is unbelievable the decorations take your breath away you have to touch the walls to make sure its real outside its a old nissan hut apparently the british commandent gave the prisoners the old hut to turn into a mess which they could use after they finished work which was blocking all holes up round scapa flow to stop the germans sneaking through and sinking our ships the story goes that the only things they had to renovate the hut were empty cornbeef tins and any old scrap from round the camp and that one italian designed it all and that up to when he died he came back every other year to touch up and make sure everthing was alright now I believe the work is done by locals All the cruises make the italian chapel one of there first itinerarystops
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 21:45   #11
God Member

bit of a thread wander ...but sort of ties in with original thread.
Years back I worked with an Italian guy called Angelo , his wartime service included being 4 different armies , he started out as a young conscript in Mussolini's Army , when Italy surrendered he was 'shanghied' into the German Army they were serving alongside , When the Germans forces surrendered and he told his story to his British captors he was allowed to join the British army in an Italian regiment ( Italy was now an ally) , Later on finding out the Yank G.I.s got paid more he wangled a transfer over to them .
Four uniforms in one war ! Last time I saw him he was wearing the colours of the Rhodesian Defence Forces , another uniform
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 22:00   #12
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
bit of a thread wander ...but sort of ties in with original thread.
Years back I worked with an Italian guy called Angelo , his wartime service included being 4 different armies , he started out as a young conscript in Mussolini's Army , when Italy surrendered he was 'shanghied' into the German Army they were serving alongside , When the Germans forces surrendered and he told his story to his British captors he was allowed to join the British army in an Italian regiment ( Italy was now an ally) , Later on finding out the Yank G.I.s got paid more he wangled a transfer over to them .
Four uniforms in one war ! Last time I saw him he was wearing the colours of the Rhodesian Defence Forces , another uniform
I think I know the guy steeljack, I once had a meal in his very expensive resturant, fortunatly my brother was paying.:
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 22:05   #13
God Member

Italian ex soldiers are allowed to receive their retirement pension benefits early - by the numbers of years they served -not bad for the losing side - pity our soldiers couldnt get the same perk.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 21:15   #14

Here´s a couple of photo´s from the Lancashire County Council site. Taken the the sixty´s and forties. Ties up very well with the plan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marioexternal_MAPSRV4356028561262.jpg (248.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg marioexternal_MAPSRV4356026521266.jpg (139.9 KB, 65 views)
jimboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 13:51   #15

I have not been back to Ozzy for over 50 years.I dont know what it is like now but I knew what it was like then. During the war 1939-1945 we lived opposite the Old Mother Red Cap in Brantwood Avenue.Across the field was the farm run by Sam Lofthouse and his family and behind that was the Italian Prisoner-of-War camp.At the top end of Knuzden was a track leading to the farm and then on to the camp.In 1945 with some of my mates from Knuzden and Intack we played football against a team of Italians from the camp.It poured with rain and we got beat easily.I think the Eyeties got Sundays off because they were allowed out of the camp and they could stroll around with the girls who came flocking from Blackburn.Me and my pals had great fun creeping up on a couple and seeing what they were getting up to in the long grass.Happy Days.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..