Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2005, 18:13   #1
Give, give, give member

State Lottery.

Most countries in the world have a state lottery, we have one run by a private company.

Most people agree that the idea of giving a percentage of the profits to good causes is a great idea, even though some of the causes may appear suspect sometimes.

It was the charity thread that got me thinking about this again. So much of our health service, and to a smaller part education, is reliant on fund raising.

All the profits from the lottery could be ploughed back into our country. How many lifeboats/air ambulances/computers or books in schools could be bought and maintained with the proceeds, rather than into the already bulging pockets of the directors of Camelot?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2005, 18:21   #2
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!
Re: State Lottery.

I agree that lottery funding should be put to good causes which would benefit all and not just a lucky few. In a perfect world, our taxes and national insurance contributions would cover all of these things.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 18:22   #3
God Member

I think everyone would agree with you Rind, but we mere mortals have common sense
Old 25-10-2005, 18:41   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Most people agree that the idea of giving a percentage of the profits to good causes is a great idea, even though some of the causes may appear suspect sometimes
SOME
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 18:53   #5
Beacon of light

I don't do the lottery because it doesn't give you any say in where the proceeds go. I know that most people do the lottery with the vain hope that they might win, and really don't care where the money goes if they don't win.

If you buy a lottery ticket, I think you should be able to say where the proceeds should go.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 18:58   #6
God Member

If Comrade president Blair spent a little less than £2.5billion of Taxpayers Money on consultancy fees and £50,000 per year on running a bulletproof car for his millionairess wife then perhaps the country wouldn't need a lottery to pay for all the shortcomings listed by previous posters. Just a thought.
Old 25-10-2005, 19:57   #7
God Member

Like most thingf concerning money at present the President is using it like any other pile of money to fill in his errors.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 21:10   #8
God Member

I would like to see some of the lottery money funding hospitals, education etc but cant see it ever happen either.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2005, 22:02   #9
Give, give, give member

Although the lottery was brought in under the last Conservative government, Camalot was re-awarded the contract even though Richard Branson's bid for it would have meant all the profits would have been ploughed back into Britain's infrastructure, under a Labour government.

Last edited by garinda; 25-10-2005 at 22:05.
Old 25-10-2005, 22:56   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
I think everyone would agree with you Rind, but we mere mortals have common sense
thats about the size of it tinks! i stopped doing the lottery about 18 months ago,never did expect to win but just became disheartend at were some of the funds were going, also the fact that branson (who i detest) made a far better proposition to run it than camelot and was ignored.
Old 25-10-2005, 23:04   #11
God Member

The money never seemed to go where it was needed and there is an alledged pot waiting to be distributed but its in limbo earning somebody interest.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 25-10-2005, 23:07   #12
Give, give, give member

Does anyone know someone who has won a significant amount of money playing the lottery?

I only bought a ticket the first week. If you've bought a ticket aweek since it was introduced,you've now spent the same money as a fortnights winter holiday in the Canaries, plus your money will have been spent funding a Turkish lesbian centre in Hackney.

Old 25-10-2005, 23:09   #13
God Member

That is a scary thought all that money spent on the wrong kind of life hoping to get 6 numbers.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 25-10-2005, 23:13   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Does anyone know someone who has won a significant amount of money playing the lottery?

I only bought a ticket the first week. If you've bought a ticket aweek since it was introduced,you've now spent the same money as a fortnights winter holiday in the Canaries, plus your money will have been spent funding a Turkish lesbian centre in Hackney.
yeh there was an asian guy i knew worked at blythes hapton,won 18 million never seen him since i suppose thats significant?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..