Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2007, 05:06   #1
God Member

Surname origins

Surname Profiler
There is loads of info on BBC news today about UK emigration and ex-pats.
Amongst it all I found this link which shows you where in UK your family is likely to have been living in 1881
Before the age of rail travel families rarely moved out of the area where they were born.
I recall snipetts of family info about Cornwall in the origins of my maternal grandmother, and was pleased to have it confirmed by this search. I know very little of my maternal grandfather, and found his name concentrated there too, so both families were part of the large migration out of Cornwall when the tin mining industry declined.

(just another interesting site to visit for us folks with too much time on our hands )

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-08-2007, 07:35   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Surname origins

That was interesting, thanks.

Cornwall, Sussex and Shetland for our name, in three far flung corners of the British Isles. The part of my family whose surname I carry were actually in Oswaldtwistle in 1881, having come down from what's now Cumbria, in 1840.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 11:08   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Blackburn was the main area then and still is, so that confirms cashy is a PROPER Lancastrian.
Old 23-08-2007, 12:48   #4
Senior Member+

Oldham was the main area in 1881 for me and is Blackburn now. Hmmm... wonder where Smith comes from??
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 12:58   #5
Super Moderator

Top postal town for my name in 1881 and 1998 is...Accrington. I always knew we were an unadventurous lot!

Thanks for that, Margaret. Very interesting.
Old 23-08-2007, 13:01   #6
God Member

Looks like Blackburn for me ... but a whole bunch in NE Scotland and the Islands ... Not too many in the south, thank god. I guess that this wild colonial boy has solid Lancashire roots.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 13:07   #7
Beacon of light

What an interesting site......Blackburn was the top town for my maiden name in 1881....but them after doing some family tree research I suspected that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 13:35   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That was interesting, thanks.

Cornwall, Sussex and Shetland for our name, in three far flung corners of the British Isles. The part of my family whose surname I carry were actually in Oswaldtwistle in 1881, having come down from what's now Cumbria, in 1840.
I think I need a geography lesson on the British Isles. It's actually the Hebrides and not the Shetland Islands, as well as Cornwall and Sussex that had the greatest density of people sharing my surname.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2007, 14:56   #9
Passed away 25-11-09

My family (maiden) name - there were less than 100 of us in 1998 so we're not there. In 1881 it was all of Lancashire with a stronger concentration around the Fylde. I knew that, they were all my ancestors in Preston and Fleetwood.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..