Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 09:40   #16
Super Moderator

Re: T.V. licence.

...and for Wossy's contract - £18m over three years.

...and for arts supremo Alan Yentob's pension pot - £6.3m.

...and for fomer Director-General, John Birt's leaving do - £150,000.

...oh, the list is endless!
Old 08-07-2009, 10:08   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
...and for Wossy's contract - £18m over three years.

...and for arts supremo Alan Yentob's pension pot - £6.3m.

...and for fomer Director-General, John Birt's leaving do - £150,000.

...oh, the list is endless!
Not forgetting the £60,000 of our money the BBC spent on Tracey Emin's sparrow on top of a tall pole in Liverpool.

Though not so tall that some thieving scousers haven't nicked it
...more than once.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Merseyside | Emin unveils 'sparrow' sculpture

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:17   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Not forgetting the £60,000 of our money the BBC spent on Tracey Emin's sparrow on top of a tall pole in Liverpool.

...more than once.

£60,000 is that how much it cost Rindi, I can remember hearing about it, but didn't think it was so much. I know they say art is in the eye of the beholder, whats art to some people is crap to others, but 60k for that out of our money their having a larf
Old 08-07-2009, 13:01   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It does look like there is a move to abolish the licence fee, but before you all start cheering, it may be levied from the council tax instead.......at this stage it is just a proposal....but it might just happen.

typical govenment tactic to give with one hand to look good and take away with teh other in a sneaky stealth type way

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 13:09   #20
Beacon of light

Yes, and while I know there are not many people who do not have a TV set, they will be paying for something they choose not to receive....that can't be right.

I am waiting for them to bring in a licence for broadband access.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 13:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am waiting for them to bring in a licence for broadband access.
Do you think that is maybe why Gordon Brown wants every household in Britain to have broadband access ????
Old 08-07-2009, 14:19   #22
God Member

iv said before that the bbc asked teh govenment to bring in an internet licence but got refused

now they have established their iplayer after been refused its only a matter of time before they go back asking for an internet licence and argue that the iplayer is now a good enough reason for the govenment to allow one

channel 4 pay for their player by adverts etc do you really think the bbc provide the iplayer for free or at no extra cost ?

i gurentee it is provided as a short term loss where tehy provide it at no extra cost so that it will lead to reaping in more revenue in teh future when an internet licence is enforced

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 08-07-2009 at 14:21.
Old 08-07-2009, 15:59   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
iv said before that the bbc asked teh govenment to bring in an internet licence but got refused

now they have established their iplayer after been refused its only a matter of time before they go back asking for an internet licence and argue that the iplayer is now a good enough reason for the govenment to allow one

channel 4 pay for their player by adverts etc do you really think the bbc provide the iplayer for free or at no extra cost ?

i gurentee it is provided as a short term loss where tehy provide it at no extra cost so that it will lead to reaping in more revenue in teh future when an internet licence is enforced
Think you might be spot on with that accyman
Old 08-07-2009, 16:49   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

...more than once.

Mmmm, "thieving scousers" .... I detect a little syntactical redundancy in this one.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 17:11   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Think you might be spot on with that accyman

also an internet licence will just be another thing the public will have to pay for wether or not they watch bbc's website or not.

the BBC is way to powerfull in my opinion and has too much influence over teh govenment if it can get laws passed simply to force us into paying for somthing regardless of if we want it or not.

the bbc shoudl be stripped down to the bare essentials like news and educational programs and have the licence fee cut to a quater of what it is now, any other programs they run should be funded by advertisements or sponsorships so that way they still get funding for educational programs which is what the licence fee is supposedly justified for and any extra programs they shoudl fund themselves so that they are not only made at their expense but will teach them a few things in how to pay realistic wages

there have been many petitions sent to teh govenment both tory and labour govenments signed by hundreds of thousands of people yet it still remains in place and to me that alone says to me that no matter who is in power they will not take any notice of teh majority

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..