Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2010, 18:31   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Take your Life in yer Hands.

We ventured into town today as i was fed up of being stuck in the house due to the bad weather, but won't be going again until it improves out there.

I'm quietly hoping they close the school tomorrow.

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-01-2010, 18:42   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonsmum View Post
We ventured into town today as i was fed up of being stuck in the house due to the bad weather, but won't be going again until it improves out there.
don't blame ya, i was making that point, i sure won't n bet theres many others, who suffers? the traders. still at least the mayor will be on steady ground.
Old 04-01-2010, 18:49   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
don't blame ya, i was making that point, i sure won't n bet theres many others, who suffers? the traders. still at least the mayor will be on steady ground.

Don't think the Mayor makes decisions Cashy, the buck stops at the top, or at least it would do if the top man had the decency to take responsibility
Old 04-01-2010, 19:09   #19
God Member

Just took a walk down to the off-leash park with the critters ... all the sidewalks have been plowed and sanded ... all major roads and streets in the city have been cleared ... the city promises that every street will have had a least one plowing and sanding by this evening ... and, it is still snowing ... all major highways in the area reporting normal winter driving conditions.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 19:09   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Don't think the Mayor makes decisions Cashy, the buck stops at the top, or at least it would do if the top man had the decency to take responsibility
i know that dave, but as the top man has no decency, i will question his rationale fer clearing the town hall front n sod the shoppers.
Old 04-01-2010, 19:11   #21
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
i know that dave, but as the top man has no decency, i will question his rationale fer clearing the town hall front n sod the shoppers.
Tsk, not like you to be slow on the uptake cashy, it's "sod you Jack I'm O.K.".

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 19:12   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Tsk, not like you to be slow on the uptake cashy, it's "sod you Jack I'm O.K.".

oh i aint mate, just want others to realise what a clown is at the helm.
Old 04-01-2010, 19:17   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It's to clear the way for us council payers that will be making complaints Cashy ... wouldn't do to have an injury complaint on top of that would it ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 19:22   #24
God Member

Quote:
Maybe he got out there with his own shovel and did it himself
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 19:24   #25
Beacon of light

They haven't the money to grit the pavements, but they might have to find the money for compensation claims from folk who fall and hurt themselves on the icy ungritted streets.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 19:31   #26
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Liverpool have run out of grit as well according to the news and won't be getting supplies for the foreseeable future

Should the Government step in to help public safety? After all I pay road tax to the Government not the local Councils.

Maybe Greg Pope could explain why the roads I pay for are becoming unsafe to drive on?
Old 04-01-2010, 19:35   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Liverpool have run out of grit as well according to the news and won't be getting supplies for the foreseeable future

Should the Government step in to help public safety? After all I pay road tax to the Government not the local Councils.
yeh starting wi Iraq.
Old 04-01-2010, 19:44   #28
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe Greg Pope could explain why the roads I pay for are becoming unsafe to drive on?
Look at it this way Neil the roads were dangerous before it snowed but at least now the ice has filled in the pot holes and evened out those stupid sleeping Policemen.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 20:34   #29
God Member

Do you think it might be possible that the council (or possibly even just the staff who work at the town hall) cleared the area in front of the town hall because a lot of people go in there for the tourist information desk? My guess is that they wouldn't want an accident to happen right outside.

And probably the reason that no one has done the rest is because LCC has run out of grit/salt - not Hyndburn's fault.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 20:39   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Do you think it might be possible that the council (or possibly even just the staff who work at the town hall) cleared the area in front of the town hall because a lot of people go in there for the tourist information desk? My guess is that they wouldn't want an accident to happen right outside.

And probably the reason that no one has done the rest is because LCC has run out of grit/salt - not Hyndburn's fault.
The workmen clearing the area outside the town hall didn't look like town hall staff to me, they were the same ones clearing the botton of Union St late this afternoon, and the same ones who started to clear the area near the bus station/market and then abandoned the idea.

Are the pedestrian areas of Hyndburn under the jurisdiction of the county council ? If so why are all the road sweepers/bin emptiers Hyndburn Council employees ?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..