Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2004, 12:51   #1

Teens

As some people say youths are horrible people! well some are but not all.
But round church were i live we have youth workers and they take us on trips that should cost hundreds of pounds for free, to get young people off the streets its great i've been ski-ing, Kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, abseiling, snow boarding and three residentials its fantastic and a great experience. Do they have these people near were any one lives ??

mel3ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-12-2004, 13:02   #2
Resting in peace

Re: Teens

I wouldn't know.

Have they got anything for the worn-out over 50s?!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 13:04   #3

Sometimes they have taken over 50's to blackpool ball dancing and to that thing wer u bend down on one knee and throw a ball

Old 17-12-2004, 13:13   #4
Resting in peace

Gee, thanks - that puts me in my place as a clapped-out wrinklie, only fit for ballroom dancing and bowls! - don't like skiing, never seen the point of strapping planks to my feet and throwing myself off a mountain, but love the apres-ski scene - perhaps we could do that .....
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 14:51   #5
I am Band

Talking Re: Teens

The apres-ski scene, eh Pendy? In which case, you should hot-foot it to St Ann's Square in Manchester, where there is a Christmas Continental Market. One of the stalls sells Gluhwein, and delicious it is too. It certainly has a warming effect, lettie can vouch for this.

I apologise for digressing into the realms of thread-rot, Mel, but us old 'uns have to grab hold of what pleasures are available.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!

Last edited by Sparkologist; 17-12-2004 at 14:55.
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 14:56   #6
God Member

>>its great i've been ski-ing, Kayaking, canoeing, rock climbing, abseiling, snow boarding and three residentials its fantastic and a great experience.<<

Was there any chance of doing this sort of thing when we were kids?

And then the little darlings have the temerity to trot out the old excuse "I was bored. There's nothing to do" to excuse their apalling lack of respect for property and person. What makes me angrier still is that the blessed magistrates fall for it...every time!
Old 17-12-2004, 15:10   #7
Senior Member+

You put it better than I could A-B.

I would have been less subtle.

When I was a kid I used to go and mess around out in the countryside, climbing trees in the woods and exploring.

It cost nothing, and in the summer it was lovely (except perhaps for the sunburn!)

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 15:16   #8

I have 2 teenage children (not so much children 1 is 18 and the other 16) they were both brought up to respect themselves and other people and their property, they always gave up their seat on public transport for older people. They also knew if they cheeked anyone whilst out playing they would get a clip round the ear (good enough for me, good enough for them) I have often been complimented on how well my children behave. I definately agree with Mel that not all teenagers are bad. I also feel that upbringing plays a great part in how we ALL turn out.

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 15:49   #9
God Member

And quite right too fibi!

Your children are probably a credit to you and are a poke in the agenda for the "Thou shalt not smack" brigade.
Old 17-12-2004, 16:07   #10
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I will vouch for the Gluhwein in Manchester Pendy, I was really quite tiddled...

I remember going skiing as a teenager, but I had to pay for it myself. I had an after school job 5 days a week in our chippy. I came home from school, went straight to work, then did homework then I was allowed out if there were any daylight hours left. Needless to say I didn't get out much in winter, I was about 13 at the time. I also used to go horseriding which was quite expensive. Me and Grego worked every saturday and sunday at the stables from about 6.30am until 5pm. We never got paid a penny, but could have free rides all weekend. Some teenagers are nice, well mannered and you know that they'll turn out ok. Others are horrible and you know they'll end up in one of her majesty's nastier establishments. Whatever happened to instilling the value of working for a living. I'm sure that providing all this free stuff is setting people up to believe that they are entitled to a free and easy life.
I like to travel and see the world, meet new people and will have a go at most things, skiing, climbing/fell walking/rafting etc, but I also expect to have to earn the money to pay for it.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 16:30   #11
Senior Member+

Another well-put post.

My sister had her house bought for her by her then-husband's parents.

They subsequently remortgaged the house (which wasn't theirs to remortgage), undoubtedly to pay for his alcohol and heroin addictions.

Then they had to move to a cheaper house as they couldn't keep up the repayments.

That's what can happen if it's handed to you on a plate.

I worked for my house. And my car (my mother paid for their one). And the best thing is, I only owe money by way of mortgage (oops - forgot the credit cards!!!!)

As has been mentioned, their kids are growing up with the knowledge that things come to you - no work required. I expect they will be in for a rude shock, and will have time to reflect, while waiting to sign on in years to come...

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 17:19   #12

i have to admit im not a perfect little girl that everyone thinks i am but im deffinately not into smoking or drugs and i know for a fact i will never be, and am deffinately not goin to end up in prison For stuff like that

Old 17-12-2004, 17:27   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

That's a good attitude to have Mel. I'm glad you have been enjoying your outdoor pursuits and you have been very lucky to get them for free. I would have loved to not have had to work to pay for my hobbies, but the good thing about it was that it taught me the value of money and how to save up and handle money.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 17:58   #14
land of hope and glory

this was amusing, driving up the motorway at the back of a mobile home, sign in the window says.......retired spending kids inheritance!!!!
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2004, 19:36   #15
Beacon of light

I want to know How I go about becoming a teenager again.......I would love to do some of those things.....I am quite adventurous for a wrinkly......I roller blade(how sad is that?) and a few weeks ago I was giving surfing a go at Fistral beach......loved the wet suit!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..