Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 09:30   #1
Resting in Peace

Terms of endearment

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...gIqc2CtO70-X2A

So this this morning on Breakfast TV regarding a woman who took offence to being called Babe by a bus driver in Brighton, drivers have now been told not to use terms like this in case it offends. I have to say I'm not keen on that term myself but love, dear etc are things we say in every day life, with different takes depending where in the country you live, even the world, where sometime things don't travel too well
Old 01-02-2012, 09:47   #2
God Member

Re: Terms of endearment

I saw it too, ridiculous OLD baggage , looked like she had been hit in the gob with a bag of shillings one too many times. Gormless old trout should have been flattered that anyone would think it appropriate to offer the compliment in the first place.

But then there is that bunch of people who so love to be offended, almost anything will do, just to draw attention to themselves and their sad and empty existence, luv.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:48   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
[URL]

So this this morning on Breakfast TV regarding a woman who took offence to being called Babe by a bus driver in Brighton, drivers have now been told not to use terms like this in case it offends. I have to say I'm not keen on that term myself but love, dear etc are things we say in every day life, with different takes depending where in the country you live, even the world, where sometime things don't travel too well
I think you're absolutely correct

You old fart.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:50   #4
God Member

And did you hear her wingeing about people always wanting to kiss her on first meeting her. I cannot imagine that ever happening.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:53   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I think you're absolutely correct

You old fart.
Ahhhhhh didn't know you carred Less
Old 01-02-2012, 09:56   #6
Resting In Peace

This sort of thing really makes me mad. There are far more important things to get hot under the collar about. At least he didn't just say hey you and perhaps she wasn't old or distinguished enough to warrant Madam - which I must say is nice as you get older, and in France is used generally in shops etc. But they are more polite over there.

When we lived in the Midlands I didn't mind being called bab or mi duck which is the equivalent of luv up here. And when I was in hospital recently the nurses addressed the female patients as darlin' which no one seemed to object to and I found it quite comforting and reassuring. Don't know what they called the men!

And one lovely young female Indian doctor called me my dear which was nice.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:14   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
This sort of thing really makes me mad. There are far more important things to get hot under the collar about. At least he didn't just say hey you and perhaps she wasn't old or distinguished enough to warrant Madam - which I must say is nice as you get older, and in France is used generally in shops etc. But they are more polite over there.

When we lived in the Midlands I didn't mind being called bab or mi duck which is the equivalent of luv up here. And when I was in hospital recently the nurses addressed the female patients as darlin' which no one seemed to object to and I found it quite comforting and reassuring. Don't know what they called the men!

And one lovely young female Indian doctor called me my dear which was nice.
When I first worked in the est midlands Hinckley, Leicester etc the first time somebody said mi duck to wonder what the hell they were talking about. Up in Scotland they call young girls hen Carlisle they call blokes Gadgy
Old 01-02-2012, 10:19   #8
God Member

And in Yorkshire it is not uncommon to hear men call each other luv. Well, you have to say something. It just seems that communication with out the addition seems so cold, impersonal and unfriendly.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:26   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ahhhhhh didn't know you carred Less
No I don't, I walk wherever I can, though if the weather is really bad I sometimes get a taxi, (my nearest bus stop is more than a rain storm away, so no point using them).
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:35   #10
God Member

They can get a bit sensitive about things like this in Ossy you know. Does anyone remember the fuss kicked up by a woman who was addressed as cock by a sister at BRI? I just googled it, didn't realise it was back in 2003.

Hospital says sorry after patient's cock tale | Society | The Guardian

As she recovered in accident and emergency, the 64-year-old from Oswaldtwistle asked the ward sister for a glass of water.

"Right, cock, follow me," came the reply.

Offended at being so addressed, and by someone in a sister's uniform, the patient made an official complaint

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:06   #11
Beacon of light

I have just breathed a sigh of relief....I was retired by then.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:28   #12
God Member

Seems to me that these friendly forms of address are quite normal and inoffensive as long as one follows local custom. Over here, you might get a quizzical look at "love" or "luv", but "hon" and "dear" raise no eyebrows.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 13:24   #13
God Member

I remember during the time I spent at Walter Smiths as an apprentice, we were quite fond of taking the mick out of Tim Wilkinson, the owners son, because he had swapped his own accent for BBC RP. Consequently, even though he used the word a lot, he could not say 'luv', as we pronounced it, he had to say 'laahrve'. We thought it was very funny at the time, because we thought him a bit of a tit and his wife was a snooty piece too, so it served him right.

So, it does not always follow that following local custom is the right thing to do, quite often you can paint yourself as even more of an outsider than you perhaps intended, luv.
Old 01-02-2012, 16:02   #14
JFT96

I'm enjoying this luv thing, I might even become a 20 a day luv, luv morning, luv evening and luv all night

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 16:07   #15
God Member

Whoa, steady on there, luv.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..