Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2008, 23:34   #31
Loz

Re: the accrington acorn

Does everybody get one of these papers or do you have to live in a certain area?
Old 20-06-2008, 23:38   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Does everybody get one of these papers or do you have to live in a certain area?
Think I read that it was an initial run of 6000 publications, so we all wont have got one.Dunno how they decided which areas did get a delivery
Old 20-06-2008, 23:38   #33
God Member

I haven't got one, I live in the centre of town
Old 20-06-2008, 23:42   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
About what ?

Is some of that info wrong
Sorry I was Quoting Willow and the comp.went on the blink - had to do a restart.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 23:44   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
Sorry I was Quoting Willow and the comp.went on the blink - had to do a restart.
Heck No, dont be sorry , ya just confused me a little...the beer on my side of the PC dont help
Old 20-06-2008, 23:47   #36

I live in Church and I didn't get one either
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 14:19   #37
ste

it seems theres some chat about the acorn on here and was kindly passed on to it by a friend.

so allow me to clear a few things up for you

i shall try and do it in order to keep things simple for you.

1. it was my bright idea Tosh, thanks for asking. and its only my ink and paper im wasting so dont have to worry there.

2. Its full of advertisements for one reason, its an advertsing paper! when i set up my own business i needed to advertise it, on requesting an ad in another local paper, i found it was to cost me in the region of £400. an amount i just couldnt afford, on doing a bit of market research, i was finding that quite a few other businesses in town where also struggling, and also couldnt afford to advertise. i placed an ad in the great harwood Herald ( a paper similar to mine, adverts and snippets) for a much cheaper price, and i got results. This resulted in me "coming up with my bright idea" to do one for accrington. I have had a great response from pretty much everyone who advertised, and who also want to go back in the next issue, i fully inderstand how it may just seem another circular doing the rounds, i also know that it was far too many adverts, but it had to start somewhere, the first three issues will have been completely non profit, all advertisers paying a percentage of the printing costs, and thats all. From small acorn large oaks grow as they say, we now have moved up to 12 pages, less adverts, more things to read and so on, hopefully next issue it will expand more, and next issue and next. it was a start we had to make and the encouragers far outway the disgruntled.

3. If the little stories of accrington are not what you want, dont sit there writing bad things ona forum, write some good things and send them in, get involved, help me change it into something for everyone.

4. Hi Garinda, no oaks trees where harmed in the production of the paper and recycled paper is something we are already looking into, just need to find right weight and and new tint. your comment did make laugh tho, thanks

5. cashman, and anyone else for that matter, if you do not want to recive a copy, then please send me addresses, all completely confidential, and i will personally take you all off the database we are building. And likewise if anyone has not had on delivered but would like one, send address and will make sure one is in the post to you.

6. Pam, if you liked the classifieds, (had more response about them than ANYTHING ha) then next issue is full of stuff like that, like said before, any jokes or stories you may wish to see in the paper, send them in.

7. mani, thanks, you seem to get the initial concept, similar but no real news, we get enough of that, and most of that aint real, so keeping it on the fun side, facts, stories and jokes, and advertisements of course.

8. Benipete. if you have any other stories and facts like that, is that kind of stuff we would like to put in, ive found out some amazing stuff about accrington since doing this and lived here pretty much all my life. Please contribute if you have anything you wish to add.

9. I live in centre of town too bernadette, I can post you one, no trouble or if you want one you can pick one up from the library every first week of the month.

10. thanks for discussing it though, was nice surprise. All you can ask is for it to be even mentioned. hope this clears some things up ( if anyone even cares) but one thing you should really understand is that this town is on its last legs at the very moment, you will be very surprised at how much things are turning for the worst, the bars are all closing, businesses are struggling, the market is on the verge of disappearing, and i could go on.. all the while, the supermarkets are booming, the pound shops flourishing and crimes on the up. It doesn't take long to work out the future state of play. Im not looking forward to that right much. I like accrington, we have some amazing people here and fascinating history, and i dont want to follow many others and leave because everyone else just gave up, i cant at least give it my best shot and get involved in my own way.
I certainly hope others will too. Thanks for reading if you did.
ste @ the Acorn.
ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 17:15   #38
ste

Old 01-07-2008, 17:27   #39
Senior Member+

thanks for coming on and clearing that up for us ste.... i havent recieved one so im not really sure what people are on about but good luck

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 17:32   #40
Senior Member+

I enjoyed it Ste and if you want to cover our success story down at Accrington cricket club drop me a pm and we can sort something out !
Old 01-07-2008, 17:49   #41
ste

hi emamum

thanks for that, and if you do want one, let me know and can arrange it or you can pick one up from the library from thursday.
Old 01-07-2008, 20:54   #42
Resident Waffler

Hi Ste, thanks for that bit of insight into the background of the Acorn. It sounds like it could end up being really interesting as well as practical if enough people contribute to it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:14   #43
Resident Waffler

Thanks for the delivery of Issues 1 & 2 this morning.

Old 04-07-2008, 15:19   #44

got issue1 but have not got issue 2 as yet, looking forward to the classifieds.
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 15:50   #45
Resident Waffler

Could do to encourage people to place some serious classifieds but I'm wondering if they would be taken seriously amongst the spoof ones.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..