Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-12-2011, 15:12   #1

The British Economy falling to 7th.

The UK now has only the 7th largest economy in the world. We have been overtaken by Brazil. Germany and France are 4th and 5th respectively.

Time for the UK to re-establish our own 'Mittelstand' like Germany and abandon the focus on the service sector and consumerism.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-12-2011, 15:15   #2
JFT96

Re: The British Economy falling to 7th.

Well maybe it would help if we pulled out of Europe?
Where did you read this, everything I have seen puts us in 6th, above Brazil
So what do you suggest, we should start manufacturing our own textiles, electronics and cars again?

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 15:18   #3
JFT96

Found here:
BBC News - Brazil economy overtakes UK, says CEBR

Old 26-12-2011, 15:21   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Well maybe it would help if we pulled out of Europe?
Where did you read this, everything I have seen puts us in 6th, above Brazil
So what do you suggest, we should start manufacturing our own textiles, electronics and cars again?
It's hard to find anything that isn't manufactured in China these days...

Just bought myself a new printer/scanner/photocopier (HP) thinking it was made in the USA but it was made in China -and they didn't put the USB connector in so I can't try it out, ****!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 15:22   #5

Germany and France are 4th and 5th. Personally I'd hitch a ride on their economies and we might make it back up to 6th.

The problem is short-termism in this country. Companies are looking for a quick buck instead of long term gains and investment like they do in Germany.

Of course Germany had the advantage of investing in their manufacturing economy after the war because they couldn't spend on armaments. This has paid off for them ever since. Same in Japan.
Old 26-12-2011, 15:25   #6
JFT96

True, but I would not ever buy a car, or for that matter a large kitchen appliance again that was not made in Germany. The build quality is excellent. Shame that even at our best, Aston, Morgan, Jaguar we cannot compete.

Old 26-12-2011, 15:29   #7

Dr. Ulrich Bez (b. November 1943 in Bad Cannstatt, Germany) is a German-businessman and currently CEO of Aston Martin motorcars.

Jaguar Cars Ltd is part of the Jaguar Land Rover business a subsidiary of the Indian company Tata Motors.
Old 26-12-2011, 15:35   #8
JFT96

I am aware, also Rolls Royce, owned by BMW and Bentley Volkswagen group.
If I am ever in the position I would love a Aston, DBS preferably. But the simple fact remains, the Range Rover is no where near as well built as its rivals, the Cayenne, the Toureg, X5, Land Cruiser, they have never ever built a good one. Heck it's not even as well built as my Brother in laws Nissan Micra (which is built in Sunderland)

Is this a discussion about who owns who? What do you suggest we do?

Old 26-12-2011, 19:14   #9
God Member

so we got a slightly more poop economey than france or gemanys poop economey's .

now im not saying dodgy figure shifting is at work but isnt it strange how cameron stands up to the EU and all of a sudden two major EU counties are shown in such good light.

well good luck to them they can waste whatever money they have clawed back recusing the more poop countries like greece's economey

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 19:27   #10
God Member

This is akin to kids in a schoolyard arguing about who has the most conkers.

In fact none of them have any.

All they have is spent matchsticks representing conkers, because the banker holds the lot (for safekeeping) .

He has loaned them out elswhere and is pretending to still have them.

There are no conkers

Last edited by MargaretR; 26-12-2011 at 19:34.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 19:32   #11
Senior Member+

The interesting bit is that they forecast the UK will drop one place but will be higher on the list than France(dropping 4 places) by 2020. Also we'll overtake France by 2016.
So if we're on the edge of recession the French must be in a really bad way!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 09:23   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
This is akin to kids in a schoolyard arguing about who has the most conkers.

In fact none of them have any.

All they have is spent matchsticks representing conkers, because the banker holds the lot (for safekeeping) .

He has loaned them out elswhere and is pretending to still have them.

There are no conkers
The trouble is lads in the schoolyard didn't argue about conkers
Old 27-12-2011, 17:16   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The trouble is lads in the schoolyard didn't argue about conkers
nah just kicked them if the owner got on our nerves

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 17:53   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
nah just kicked them if the owner got on our nerves
Exactly
Old 28-12-2011, 10:10   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Interesting ... I don't know what the top ten table means in terms of quality of life. None of the countries on this list are on the list of the Top 10 Happiest Countries:

Top 10 happiest countries in the world | Financial Jesus

Which leads me to think that lists like this don't mean all that much.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..