Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2010, 09:01   #1

The Commonwealth Games 2010

Would you really want to stay in accomodation like this? No wonder Athletes are pulling out.

BBC Sport - Photographs expose athletes' village concerns in Delhi
Old 23-09-2010, 09:49   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: The Commonwealth Games 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by accysimon View Post
Would you really want to stay in accomodation like this? No wonder Athletes are pulling out.

BBC Sport - Photographs expose athletes' village concerns in Delhi
Seems we can agree on something accysimon, the thing is its not like they've not had enough time to get ready, they've been preparing since 2003
Old 23-09-2010, 10:38   #3
God Member

I found this gallery of 20 pics

Latest news, comment and reviews from the Guardian | guardian.co.uk

The ones showing women transporting bowls of cement on their heads speak volumes.

India is still a '3rd world' country and should never have been given the games.
Some news sites imply that corrupt bribes were given to secure India being chosen.
They now reap the shame of failure.

Those areas of flooding around the competitors housing blocks will be rife with mosquitoes which spread denge fever.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 12:44   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I found this gallery of 20 pics

Latest news, comment and reviews from the Guardian | guardian.co.uk

The ones showing women transporting bowls of cement on their heads speak volumes.

India is still a '3rd world' country and should never have been given the games.
Some news sites imply that corrupt bribes were given to secure India being chosen.
They now reap the shame of failure.

Those areas of flooding around the competitors housing blocks will be rife with mosquitoes which spread denge fever.
Carrying building materials on their heads is normal throughout the sub-continent. I did note that they had steel scaffolding - in Pakistan 2 years ago they wanted to use bamboo scaffolding when we were constructing a 25m diameter radome - I said NO, and yes I did shout.
Old 27-09-2010, 07:28   #5
Full Member+

I for one wouldnt want to part
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 08:36   #6
Resting in Peace

For cheap accommodation visit competitors.com.
For 5 star accommodation visit commentators.com.

Simples.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 09:18   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
For cheap accommodation visit competitors.com.
For 5 star accommodation visit commentators.com.

Simples.
Ya seems about right Beni, won't find Sue Barker staying in the Olympic Village
Old 07-10-2010, 05:18   #8
Senior Member+

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Games official calls Camilla Princess Diana

Seems the Commonwealth Games has descended into farce, with the lack of preparation, empty stadia and now major gaffes by the organisers.

Yesterday, I was trying to explain to a Brazilian friend of mine what exactly the Commonwealth Games are about, i.e. a get together of the members of the former British Empire who still want to be associated with us. The reaction I got was a mixture of amazement and laughter that such a thing is going on in 2010.........

......and do you know what? I have to agree!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:53   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Games official calls Camilla Princess Diana

Seems the Commonwealth Games has descended into farce, with the lack of preparation, empty stadia and now major gaffes by the organisers.

Yesterday, I was trying to explain to a Brazilian friend of mine what exactly the Commonwealth Games are about, i.e. a get together of the members of the former British Empire who still want to be associated with us. The reaction I got was a mixture of amazement and laughter that such a thing is going on in 2010.........

Well to me there's nothing wrong with the games, but the organisation leaves a lot to be desired, its a racing cert that there are people going to these games would end up with Deli Belly, which was highlighted by one of our swimmers yesterday, when she got out of the pool she looked fit to drop
Old 07-10-2010, 16:11   #10
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
a get together of the members of the former British Empire who still want to be associated with us. The reaction I got was a mixture of amazement and laughter that such a thing is going on in 2010.........

Why ? look at it this way for years we shaped & formed these Countries bringing them advances they wouldn't have had, had they been left to their own devices. Added to that we were an umbrella covering & protecting these lands under the auspices of British rule so any Johnny Foreigner who thought he could just come on in & take over had second thoughts when faced with the Military might of Britain as opposed to a small divided populace.

While admittedly we were an "Occupying force" our input also benefited the people we oversaw. It was, much as some will detract a 2 way exchange & both sides reaped rewards from it, as ruling powers go we obviously weren't to bad as the present relationship shows, if we were so bad how come these Countries after their independence adopted & maintained our ways which we gave to them ?

Put simply we (UK) were their parents, we nurtured & raised them, then sent them off into the big wide World to stand on their own two feet, some have turned out fine others have fallen by the wayside, but that is the nature of family ! A mutual respect for each other reinforces these ties & that my friend, is why they are happy to humour their doting parents ! Much as I do mine & I would assume you do with yours ?

As to your friend, he's from a Republic, young independent upstarts who know no better !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 16:28   #11
God Member

I disagree - occupied countries had no choice, and may have preferred to retain their own culture. Who are we to decide that 'our way is best'.
There is no justification in saying that 'we prevented them from being invaded by other empire building invaders'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 16:50   #12

I think we probably only occupied countries that had something we wanted without having to pay for it.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 16:52   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I disagree - occupied countries had no choice, and may have preferred to retain their own culture. Who are we to decide that 'our way is best'.
There is no justification in saying that 'we prevented them from being invaded by other empire building invaders'
These occupied Countries did retain their own cultures but some of their citizens chose to come round to the British way of their own choice. Those Countries that had no desire rose up & fought back.

You disagree, that is your choice & right because we live in a Country that allows you these freedoms. So I would say that answers your point :-
Who are we to decide that 'our way is best'. As it gives you those liberties.

In recent history two names spring very much to the forefront when we talk World domination, Napoleon & Hitler. Now if we British hadn't stood tall with the assistance of our allies in these instances the world would've been speaking French or German, take your pick ! So in those instances I do believe we prevented these not so pleasant (as us Brits) invaders from colonizing our foreign partners.
Old 07-10-2010, 16:57   #14
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
I think we probably only occupied countries that had something we wanted without having to pay for it.
Falkland Islands ? British Columbia ? Australia ? At the time of exploration in the 17-1800's what did they have to offer ?
Old 07-10-2010, 17:02   #15
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Still interesting as these digressions are "The Commonwealth games" are a celebration of our shared interests in sports, most of which we brought to these Countries, (which nowadays we usually lose) the apprentices having surpassed the master in most cases. Now that has got to be worth something to our former colonies the chance to get one over on the boss !

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..