Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2016, 16:27   #16
Senior Member+

Re: The day the earth stood still!

I agree with most of what is being said,but I don't think folk can just decide to stay at home when it suits.
Let's not forget that nowadays there is a lot more traffic (and tools driving) on our roads...that increases the risk to our kids.
Perhaps those folk from the 'I remember when' days could fight the weather and make their way to our schools to care for the kids who get stranded by bad weather and difficult driving conditions.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2016, 16:39   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Rubbish its yer usual back tracking nowt else.
Less and dotti34 like this.
Old 05-03-2016, 16:39   #18
Beacon of light

There might be more traffic in the normal course of events, but if those who think they have no responsibility to even try to get to their job, pull the duvet up under their chin and point two fingers to their duties.....then there is less traffic, add to this the lack of public service vehicles, the bin wagons the bread vans etc......then I guess the roads would be relatively quiet.

Those who see a dusting of snow as a good reason to absolve themselves of the responsibility of going to work do not deserve to have a job.
As I say, in all the time I was working I never EVER missed work because of the weather.
Even if this meant I had to walk it.
My total concerns were for my patients and for the colleagues I was relieving. It was they who needed me to be there......and my work ethic was to get there by whatever means....motorbike or milk float. Usually though it was shanks pony.
KiTChener, dotti34, Turtle and 1 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 17:19   #19
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I agree with most of what is being said,but I don't think folk can just decide to stay at home when it suits.
Let's not forget that nowadays there is a lot more traffic (and tools driving) on our roads...that increases the risk to our kids.
Perhaps those folk from the 'I remember when' days could fight the weather and make their way to our schools to care for the kids who get stranded by bad weather and difficult driving conditions.
Well Cashy got there first, (he often does), U turn, we were brought up by parents that faught for a future, that future didn't include mamby pamby I need an excuse to allow others to work but not me.

I suspect this attitude came in somewhere around the 80's, when a certain lady said stuff the rest, 'the rest' in reply said, stuff you, what a mess we now have, no-one want's to walk that extra mile, you, me or Joe Bloggs. We all want everyone else to do that little extra.

Any excuse especially from those in charge not to do anything if anything is too much (for them).

Lead by example, Politicians, you volunteered for the job, if you can't travel 10 miles travel 2, turn up at a depot, ask how you can help, you volunteered for the job lead us into a positive, we can do, attitude not a simpering hand wringing, well, nothing I can do about it, I may as well stay at home. You show yourself, maybe the real workers will be encouraged?

Too much to ask in reality isn't it?

Last edited by Less; 05-03-2016 at 17:25.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 17:22   #20
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Our children have grown up with this increased level of traffic, so this invalidates your argument.
They deal with these risks every day.....and the same fools are driving around in all weathers.
We cannot wrap our children in cotton wool.....though many would have us do this on grounds of health and safety.....but we do our children a disservice in believing that they do not have the strategies to cope with what they meet on a day to day basis.....and we also do them a disservice in not allowing them to deal with risks,you have to be exposed to some risks in your life or you will never learn how to handle risks in your life.
We also have a duty to instil in our children a healthy work ethic....a 'can do' attitude rather than a give up attitude.
KiTChener, Eric and Turtle like this.
Old 05-03-2016, 17:26   #21
Beacon of light

Less, you got in there before me...I agree that we should always always encourage the 'can do' approach, the undaunted attitude.
And it is about attitudes, and seeing those who consider themselves to be better than us, giving up,is a very poor example.
dotti34 and Turtle like this.
Old 05-03-2016, 17:40   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less, you got in there before me...I agree that we should always always encourage the 'can do' approach, the undaunted attitude.
And it is about attitudes, and seeing those who consider themselves to be better than us, giving up,is a very poor example.
Plain and simple, if we all say, 'Nowt I can do' nowt will be done.

My parents went through a hell of alot, (mustn't mention Hilter) they still managed to bring up a family, maybe they spoilt us a little, with what was their gift of not wanting us to have their life repeated, we have certainly spoilt the next generation, they are in power and prefare to do nothing if it involves themselves.

Actually I do know several of the following generation that are wonderful caring people, strangely none are politicians, let's not change society, lets change politicians attitude.
Old 05-03-2016, 18:09   #23
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Actually I do know several of the following generation that are wonderful caring people, strangely none are politicians, let's not change society, lets change politicians attitude.
That is a really tough ask. I am not sure I would have any idea of how to change the attitude of a politician, since most of them have very poor opinions of the electorate...you know, those people who put them in place so that they could represent us and our needs
Old 05-03-2016, 18:23   #24

Quote:
That is a really tough ask. I am not sure I would have any idea of how to change the attitude of a politician, since most of them have very poor opinions of the electorate...you know, those people who put them in place so that they could represent us and our needs
Perhaps going back to, a politician doesn't get a wage, but does it because they have a calling? (Not really daft, a good politician (not necessarily an honest politician) would get sponsors to pay their way).

Of course if we re-introduced such a system we would also have to ignore any claims for expenses, every politician should be able to claim for his moat to be cleaned or indeed a place for his ducks:-

Last edited by Less; 05-03-2016 at 18:25.
Old 05-03-2016, 18:31   #25
Beacon of light

That suggestion would sort the wheat from the chaff....but I would be wary of sponsorship as the business world would want something in return,....there is no such thing as a free lunch.
Politicians should have a passion for doing what is in the best interests of those who elected them, rather than doing what the political party says they should do.
Attitudes are the hardest things to change and they often cannot be changed by external pressures...only by the politician in question WANTING to change
Old 05-03-2016, 18:38   #26

Quote:
That suggestion would sort the wheat from the chaff....but I would be wary of sponsorship as the business world would want something in return,....there is no such thing as a free lunch.
Politicians should have a passion for doing what is in the best interests of those who elected them, rather than doing what the political party says they should do.
Attitudes are the hardest things to change and they often cannot be changed by external pressures...only by the politician in question WANTING to change
Ah, yes I agree, but at least if a labour M.P. was only paid by sponsors from the labour community, s/he would only get a living wage making it difficult to forget where their roots lie, we've had it seems, 30 years of Tory leaders of the Labour party, done as much good for most folk as a wet fart.

Last edited by Less; 05-03-2016 at 18:40.
Old 05-03-2016, 18:53   #27
God Member

Quote:
Our children have grown up with this increased level of traffic, so this invalidates your argument.
They deal with these risks every day.....and the same fools are driving around in all weathers.
We cannot wrap our children in cotton wool.....though many would have us do this on grounds of health and safety.....but we do our children a disservice in believing that they do not have the strategies to cope with what they meet on a day to day basis.....and we also do them a disservice in not allowing them to deal with risks,you have to be exposed to some risks in your life or you will never learn how to handle risks in your life.
We also have a duty to instil in our children a healthy work ethic....a 'can do' attitude rather than a give up attitude.
Not to mention the alarming, and rapidly climbing incidence of childhood obesity. It's a kind of irony ... you think your kids are safe at home; but they ain't. They're chowing down on botulism burgers, pies, and fries while they rot their brains sitting in front of one screen or another.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 19:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
They're chowing down on botulism burgers, pies, and fries while they rot their brains sitting in front of one screen or another.
Ah, at last, I can connect with the yoof, I eat all the wrong things, drink far too much, and am at the moment sat in front of 3 screens, T.V. Computer & my 'phone.

Is my brain rotting? NO! It went years ago.

Last edited by Less; 05-03-2016 at 19:08.
Old 05-03-2016, 22:19   #29
Senior Member+

Cue Monty Python

Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 17:33   #30
Full Member+

Just read through this post and I too have to say as far as I remember Peel Park or the high school were never closed for snow while I was there. To go back to the original post about the lady who didnt go to Preston its a pity she didnt think to catch the train like ,y daughter did that day .She would have found no snow at all there.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..