Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 02:33   #1
Always EVIL within us

The Demise of Hyndburnlife

DO YOU REMEMBER - - -

HYNDBURNLIFE.COM - - The flagship site of the NorthWest of England - - £130,000 of OUR money buried without trace:e9: :e9:

Thats not entirely true! For those few lucky? people that were able to view and contribute to this "wonderful" site, all I can say is

Hyndburnlife is as dead as Monty Pythons Parrot but there were just a few comments made in their "Forum" which should be preserved forever which is the reason I am pasting onto the Accyweb instead of leaving it on Hyndburnlife!

My thanks go to:

AccyRoy

Tealeaf, (Why can't he be this funny on the Accyweb?)

Peg-a-Lantern (Alias Willow)

Greg Pope (As the bad guy)

Mr. Pope held an open forum earlier this year and invited members to ask him his views. Here are a sel;ection of his questions and replies:

Paul-John_www.hyndburnlife.co.uk

23-Jan-2005

EU
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:17

Are you in favor of the new EU constitution? And do you not think that this is just one step closer to a United States of Europe? Which is obviously the end to which Pro-Euro Politicians are pushing.And do you accept that this EU project is set to fail? as ultimately all Political unions do, Soviet Union, Roman Empire and the current unfair political union England finds itself in.
[Edited by: admin]

Greg.Pope.MP_www.hyndburnlife.co.uk

09-Dec-2004

Re: EU
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:36

On balance, I'm in favour of the EU constitution. As the EU enlarges it will become harder and harder for the federalists to get their way. When the 10 new countries joined the EU last year it tipped things much more our way - they tend to be proud nations who have just escaped one form of foreign domination (the
Soviet Union) and they don't want another. They share our view of nation states and tend to be more pro-American than say the French.

Tealeaf99_www.hyndburnlife.co.uk

20-Oct-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:45

The logic of your statement completely baffles me. The new EC constitution is no more than an overblown bag of federalist rubbish with everything from common defence and foreign policy through to superstate micro-management of the economy.I do not really think the Paris-Berlin axis is going to worry one bit about what the Poles or other newcomers think.

09-Dec-2004

Posted:
27-Jan-2005 13:31

The new EU constitution actually gives more powers back to member states. When completed it was hailed by most of the European media as a victory for the UK, that is for a less federalist vision of Europe. France has already found that it is difficult to ignore the smaller new EU countries as they all have votes in the Council of Ministers.

The Hyndburn/Blackburn merger.
council
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:18

Hi Greg

Do you see any benefit in Hyndburn being included in an extended
Blackburn with Darwen council?

09-Dec-2004

Re: Extended council
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:29

I realise that a merger between Hyndburn Council and Balckburn with Darwen would be unpopular with most Hyndburn people, especially as it would be seen as a takeover rather than a meeting of equals. There are benefits from being part of a larger council and probably we will have to think long and hard about merging with neighbours in the future. I've always thought that there was a case for an East Lancashire Council which would give us the clout and size of the cities whilst retaing our distinctive East Lancs identity.

20-Oct-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:35

In other words you're in favour of Hyndburn being taken over by Blackburn-with-Darwen. I do hope you remember to put that in your manifesto come election time in May or whenever.

09-Dec-2004

Posted:
27-Jan-2005 13:27

Dear Tealeaf

I'm not in favour of Hyndburn being taken over by
Blackburn with Darwen, indeed I camapigned against just such a move last year. I voted against my own Government on a three line whip and helped get the proposal dropped. If you look at the 'photos' page on my website (www.gregpope.co.uk) you will see a picture of me with a petition against the takeover outside the Commons.

Greg

THIS IS ONE FOR STAGGERINGMAN

lantern_www.hyndburnlife.co.uk

20-Oct-2004

Fox Hunting
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:18

Where do you stand on the issue of fox hunting?

09-Dec-2004

Re: Fox Hunting
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:24

I am in favour of a ban on fox hunting. I have voted for a ban on each occasion I have had the opportunity to do so since I became an MP as I think it is cruel to kill animals for fun. The ban is due to come into effect on
18 February 2005.

20-Oct-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:31

in that case, I assume you are in favour of poision entering the food chain or foxes dieing a slow death from shotgun pellets as farmers use other means to control this vermin.

09-Dec-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:59

Hunting is not a credible means of controlling the fox population as all the pro-hunt groups keep telling me. The vast majority of foxes are already killed by means other than being torn apart by dogs.

Peg-a-lantern_www.hyndburnlife.co.uk

20-Oct-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 19:06

So how many foxes are we actually worrying about if the vast majority of the ones killed are not killed by being hunted?

I note that you say the death is caused by being torn apart. I was under the impression that any tearing apart takes place after the fox is dead.

20-Oct-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 19:06

Yes they are. They're killed with far more pain and cruelty than the quick kill of the dog. Hunting will continue, that is for certain, but I have no doubt that however ineffectual, police resources will be diverted in pursuit of the newly criminalised, while violent crime continues to escalate. This is the legislation of the madhouse.

THATS A WICKED QUESTION TEALEAF!

20-Oct-2004

Civil Service Jobs
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:11

The government recently announced plans to relocate numerous civil service departments and jobs from
London to the provinces. Can you briefly summarise what attempts you may have made to ensure some of these jobs come to Hyndburn?

09-Dec-2004

Re: Civil Service Jobs
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:41

As far as I am aware the honest answer is that no-one has seriously looked at locating a civil service jobs in Hyndburn. The Government (and organisations like the BBC) have mainly been looking a re-locating in large cities such as
Manchester.

20-Oct-2004

Re: Civil Service Jobs
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:52

Surely that shows a complete lack of imagination on the part of government? House and job prices are an awful lot higher in Manchester than Hyndburn and in some respects are closer to London prices (like you, I'm typing this in London)...I can see no reason whatsoever where some medium size government facility can be located in Hynburn to offer employment in the service sector to the people of this town and it's neighbours.

IS GREG BRAVE ENOUGH TO ANSWER HIS OWN QUESTIONS?

anne.hunt_www.hyndburnlife.co.uk

26-Jan-2005

The next election
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:53

Is this your prefered medium to talk to constituents. I am an avid reader of political biograghys and from everything I have read the vast majority of back benchers grow to hate their constituents, seeing them as either mad bad or beyond help.

Do you think politicans have become detached from real life and this part of the reason why such apathy and mistrust of politicans exists.

In the world of spin in which we live has it become impossible for politicans to give a straight from the heart response. I daresay you have sum one vetting these questions and advising on the responses

20-Oct-2004

Re: The next election
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 19:01

Don't answer that, Greg.

09-Dec-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 19:03

No-one is assisting me in these replies as I am all alone in my office in the Commons! Some MPs do end up hating their constituents but they are obviously in the wrong job. I grew up in Hyndburn and I like the people here, and in fact the best part of my job is when I can help someone.

Part of the point of this forum was to cut through the spin so that electors can have direct dialogue with their MP. I hope it works!

09-Dec-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 19:04

Most amusing.

GOLDFISH??

20-Oct-2004

Goldfish
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:06

The Lancashire Evening Telegraph recently reported a debate you had with Nigel Evans. You wish to ban goldfish prizes in fairgrounds. Do you seriously believe that is of any concern whatsoever to the people of Hyndburn?

09-Dec-2004

Re: Goldfish
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:17

Well, that was certainly the view of the staff in my office! It's not a big deal, and I'm certainly a lot more bothered about jobs and schools and crime, but I just that the goldfish prizes are unnecessarily cruel.

20-Oct-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:23

I take it then, you will also be ensuring that the forthcoming legislation encompasses restrictions on the needless cruelty currently involved in the production of Halal meat?

09-Dec-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:46

The issue of Halal and Kosher methods of killing is a bit more sensitive than the fate of goldfish, striking as it does at the heart of the religious faith of individuals. My understanding is that the Government is trying build a consensus with faith groups to promote the stunning of animals before killing in order to prevent, or at least minimise, cruelty.

WHO IS TYPING?

Replies: 3 Pages: 1

20-Oct-2004

Are you typing.........
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:27

the replies or is it your secretary?

09-Dec-2004

Re: Are you typing.........
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:31

I am typing them. My staff all work in
Accrington and I am in my office in the Commons at moment waiting for the division bells to call me to vote (hopefully after 7.00 pm when this forum ends!).

20-Oct-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:36

I thought so. Your typing speed is worse than mine.

09-Dec-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:42

As long as you don't tell anyone I'm rubbish at typing!

IRAN / IRAQ

Paul-John_www.hyndburnlife.co.uk

23-Jan-2005

Iran
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:01

Good Evening Mr Pope

As is well know in the International community
Iran is actively seeking WMD's. Do you support the use of military action against Iran as you did with Iraq?

09-Dec-2004

Re: Iran
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:06

Good evening

The situation in
Iran is not identical to that of Iraq - Iraq was in breach of over one dozen UN Security Council Resolutions going back to the first Gulf War. I certainly do not want to see Iran develop nuclear weapons but at the moment the European initiative (from the UK, France and Germany) seems to be paying dividends as Iran has suspended developing enriched uranium from which it could make weapons.

20-Oct-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:13

Weren't
Britain and the USA in breach of something too with the invasion of Iraq?

09-Dec-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:22

No, the legal basis for the war with
Iraq is set out in UN Security Council Resolution 1441 as well as previous UNSCRs including the one which concluded the first Gulf War. I realise that not everyone accepts this but it is the view of the British Attorney-General.

anne.hunt_www.hyndburnlife.co.uk

26-Jan-2005

Iraq
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 17:56

Hi Mr Pope.
You were in favour of going to war with
Iraq last year. In view of the events since, do you still think it was the right thing to do?

09-Dec-2004

Re: Iraq
Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:00

Voting to go to war with
Iraq was the most difficult decision I have had to make in my time as MP. Yes, I still think it was the right thing to do as Iraq and the wider world are better places with Saddam in prison rather than in the presidential palace. Let us hope that the elections in a few days give Iraqis a taste of the democracy that has been denied to them for so long.

20-Oct-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:01

On the same track, Greg, the American administration is now making noises suggesting it will take out
Iran's nuclear facilities. Will you support this action or are you prepared to follow Straws line and kow-tow to the Atomic Ayatollahs?

09-Dec-2004

Posted:
26-Jan-2005 18:08

I wasn't thinking of kow-towing to the Atomic Ayatollahs as you put it! But I do think we have a chance of a dialogue with
Iran that may pay dividends in a way that was not an option with Iraq.

Replies

This forum by Greg Pope was the most exciting thing to happen to Hyndburnlife and was viewed by perhaps more than half a dozen people from around the world

This is the contribution from our honoured saviour Roy disguised as accyroy (shooch, don't tell anyone!)

accyroy_www.hyndburnlife.co.uk

26-Nov-2004

Thanks for showing me Jive Software..
Posted:
26-Nov-2004 16:51

The Jive forum you are using here was well above my budget when I was looking to upgrade the original CGI based software of http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum

Now I've seen it in action, I am more than glad I went for the excellent vBulletin.

I suppose having the advantage that jive is programmed in Java should make it pretty fast if used in a busy enviroment... ho hum....

Then again, I suppose I shouldn't really judge the software on only one implementation, especially THIS implementation!

letsgo_www.hyndburnlife.co.uk

17-Nov-2004

Re: Thanks for showing me Jive Software..
Posted:
28-Nov-2004 00:20

waht a star you are , but your site is down

20-Oct-2004

Re: Thanks for showing me Jive Software..
Posted:
28-Nov-2004 00:43

How odd that you should say that. I've been visiting it all evening without problems - and so have quite a few other people. Some of them posting on there at the time you say it was inaccessible.

And before you get any silly ideas - I'm not
Roy either.

AND FINALLY:

The last ever? comment on Hyndburnlife - - -

Re: london marathon 2005
Posted:
23-Jun-2005 15:34

felt fine after it ...

could have still carried on after crossing the finish line if i'm honest

i'd like to do it every year ...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..