Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2006, 20:14   #1

The Holy Grail.

Reports today are hailing the results of a new treatment that has proved to reverse coronary heart disease. Crestor, or Rosuvastatinis one of a group of Statin drugs, proved to reduce cholesterol. Rosuvastatin has ,in trials been founnd to reduce the fatty products Atheroma, that block up arteries, and cause heart disease. Lets hope that they do what they say. I went to see my doctor today and mentioned them to him. He immediately wrote me a prescription for them. Trouble is I took one at teatime and the wife wants to take me to bed already,,, I've heard of miracles but hey come on babe.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-03-2006, 20:40   #2
God Member

Re: The Holy Grail.

I was prescribed statins once due to my dads health record and they think I'm at risk. They gave me pains in the legs etc. Plus there is a LOT of bad press about them as well.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 20:42   #3

been on simvastatin for 9 years with no side effects this really is just an upgrade .
Old 14-03-2006, 21:06   #4
God Member

I was prescribed Statins following my heart attack, three years ago. I did about a month of them and found that the side effects were so painfull and distressing that I had to give them up. Because I gave them up our wonderful NHS has decided that I no longer conform to it's protocols on treatment for coronary disease and so refuses to treat me, unless I agree to continue taking them. So, for me, it's bye-bye bypass, should I ever need one.

Shortly after I finished taking them I read an American study which showed that not only were they no more effective than conventional treatments, but that they also contributed to an additional twenty four deaths from cancer.

Not so much a Holy Grail, more like a Sacred Cow.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 14-03-2006 at 21:12.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 21:12   #5

**** happens i am afraid in these cases. i have been lucky although i know several people who have sufferred bad effects from statins. sorry yoy could not take them.
Old 14-03-2006, 21:19   #6
God Member

I'm not. I'm quite happy on my low-carb diet and Asprin and Benson and Hedges and Gordon's Gin.

As a matter of interest, has your cholesterol level decreased at all since you have been taking statins?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 14-03-2006 at 21:22.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2006, 21:28   #7

yes from 6.6 to 4.2.
Old 14-03-2006, 21:31   #8

yes 6.6 down to 4.2. lpve gordons gin but cant beat bells whisky
Old 14-03-2006, 21:52   #9
white rabbits

it said on the news that they could affect your kidneys
Old 14-03-2006, 22:01   #10

because i hve been on simvastatin for so long that may not happen... fingers crossed.
Old 14-03-2006, 22:24   #11
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
because i hve been on simvastatin for so long that may not happen... fingers crossed.
is that like astravastatin?my husband is on them..
Old 17-03-2006, 21:12   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: The Holy Grail.

Like all medicines one man’s meat is another man’s poison.

I’ve been on Simvastatin for about 15 years and the only noticeable effect is my cholesterol level is down to 4.3 whatever that means. But I am assured that a level below 5 is considered normal. So Simvastatin has worked for me.

Now pass me that choclate eclaire - the one next to the crean doughnut on top of that victoria jam and cream sponge.
Old 18-03-2006, 19:55   #13
Beacon of light

Like all medications that are hailed as miracle cures.....this needs to be taken with a pinch of salt(metaphorically)......I remember the same being said about the Cox 2 drugs for arthritis (Vioxx and the like).... they proved to be hazardous to health.....and have now been withdrawn from use.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 16:58   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
yes from 6.6 to 4.2.
Similar result here. I've only been on them for about 4 months and mines down from 6.8 to 4.5 with no noticeable side-effects.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2006, 17:05   #15
God Member

I was prescribed simvastatin as my dad had problems and my BP was high. They made my legs ache so I stopped taking them.

I then started on the Atkins diet. My good chloresterol went up, the bad came down. My BP dropped from 140/98 to 120/78.

There are other 'natural' ways you see.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..