Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2006, 13:18   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry The One To Watch.

Did anyone watch the repeat of “Cathy Come Home” on BBC4 last night?

This was a 1966 documentary about a homeless couple and their children in their desperate search for a place to just live.

This documentary has such an impact that it indirectly inspired the charity Shelter.

On Wednesday 29th November at 10:40 on BBC One is the DOCUMENTARY OF THE WEEK – Evicted.

Evicted allows three children of homeless families to tell their own stories and judging from the written preview by Alison Graham in the current Radio Times, it is a harrowing tale that has absolutely no place in 2006.

Even for a hard bitten old salt like myself I just know that I will shed more than a tear or two and I’m sure that the nation will be drawn to tears of first sympathy and then anger. Anger for how can such things happen today when this government, who is supposed to look after the citizens, are wasting billions on everything but what the citizens have a right to expect.

Watch it, but don’t blame me if you cannot get to sleep on Wednesday night. Blame the government.
Old 27-11-2006, 13:24   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: The One To Watch.

I watched it. I was too young to see it when it was first broadcast in the sixties, but could quite see why this powerful programme had such a big impact at the time, and still does.

I also watched the programmes sandwiched around it about the journalist and television presenter Ray Gosling. Very sad how he also became homeless.

Great television for a change.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 13:46   #3
white rabbits

I Watched The Origonal, What An Impact It Had At The Time,,,
Old 27-11-2006, 13:54   #4
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I watched it. I was too young to see it when it was first broadcast in the sixties, but could quite see why this powerful programme had such a big impact at the time, and still does.

I also watched the programmes sandwiched around it about the journalist and television presenter Ray Gosling. Very sad how he also became homeless.

Great television for a change.
Very moving documentary, things were different then the nanny state has swung to far the other way now. Ray Gosling was a very good tv presenter, the program was very well done, the piece I liked the most was his attempts to hold on to his teasured manuscripts, when Notingham University stepted in at the eleventh hour was like the cavalry appearing. Getting back on thread children should never have to suffer as Cathy's did ever again, what was allowed to develop was a disgrace, and has no place in the 21st century.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 14:06   #5
Resident Waffler

Until hearing about this new program I rather naively believed that nothing like this ever happened now in this day and age.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 15:02   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
On Wednesday 29th November at 10:40 on BBC One is the DOCUMENTARY OF THE WEEK – Evicted.

Evicted allows three children of homeless families to tell their own stories and judging from the written preview by Alison Graham in the current Radio Times, it is a harrowing tale that has absolutely no place in 2006.

Even for a hard bitten old salt like myself I just know that I will shed more than a tear or two and I’m sure that the nation will be drawn to tears of first sympathy and then anger. Anger for how can such things happen today when this government, who is supposed to look after the citizens, are wasting billions on everything but what the citizens have a right to expect.

Watch it, but don’t blame me if you cannot get to sleep on Wednesday night. Blame the government.
This is the usual do-gooding nancy-pancy wet liberal nonsense from Jambutty. I have no doubt the politically-correct BBC will present a heart rendering picture of some poor, unfotunate families deliberatly let down and made homeless by a cruel and heartless system.

In reality, these people will be will be crack-dealers, prostitutes, burglars, dodgy asylum seekers and whatever else social and criminal thrash so besmear our streets and neighbourhoods.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 27-11-2006 at 15:06.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 15:09   #7
Resident Waffler

All very nicely pre-judged without watching any of the trailers or hearing the maker's views?

Old 27-11-2006, 15:23   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
All very nicely pre-judged without watching any of the trailers or hearing the maker's views?
I have seen the trailers and all they confirm is that it is the usual BBC political codswallop.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 15:46   #9
Resident Waffler

Well I was moved to tears just by the guy on this morning's Breakfast show on BBC1 but this is another one of those things that it's easy to condemn people for when it isn't happening to you.

Old 27-11-2006, 21:29   #10
Accy Goddess

I missed Cathy come home this time round. But it's one of the best films Ive ever seen.
I can remember watching it the first time around when I was very small.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 22:32   #11
Resting in Peace

makes one wonder if anything's changed... not a lot in my opinion .... I remember at the time whoever was in power said they were going to make big changes: but this issues is still A MAJOR PROBLEM today: I could go on and on here, it makes me really, really mad that we still have this problem and its getting worse: what with more and more private Land Lords ( in some cases ) not all of course but the word Rachman springs to mind and where have all the council houses gone:

Magpie
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 22:38   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
This is the usual do-gooding nancy-pancy wet liberal nonsense from Jambutty. I have no doubt the politically-correct BBC will present a heart rendering picture of some poor, unfotunate families deliberatly let down and made homeless by a cruel and heartless system.

In reality, these people will be will be crack-dealers, prostitutes, burglars, dodgy asylum seekers and whatever else social and criminal thrash so besmear our streets and neighbourhoods.
For some reason a high percentage of homeless people are ex-servicemen. Go down Charing Cross Road and try talking to some if you don't believe me, and ask them how they became homeless. Quite eye opening at the ease of circumstance at which it can happen.

I hope you never find yourself down on your luck. Still you could always rely on your wit and charitableness to get by.

Old 27-11-2006, 22:53   #13
Resting in peace

The cynical member for Church/Wapping, to wit tealeaf, should take note, the innocent victims in these senarios is the young children, who can hardly be blamed for the shortcomings of their parents, be it drug abuse or alchohol related problems. It it easy to be judge and jury from the relative comfort of an 'ivory tower'.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2006, 22:57   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
The cynical member for Church/Wapping, to wit tealeaf, should take note, the innocent victims in these senarios is the young children, who can hardly be blamed for the shortcomings of their parents, be it drug abuse or alchohol related problems. It it easy to be judge and jury from the relative comfort of an 'ivory tower'.

Don't worry, he's really a bleeding heart. A bit of pretend cynicism for show, but a bleeding heart none the less.

Monday nights he'll be found down the soup kitchen in Vauxhall, then it's over to hand out free Johnnies to the working girls up King's Cross.

Old 27-11-2006, 23:02   #15

I do think tealeaf has a fair point, although I think that unfortunately it seems our so called systems seems to fail the very people who are most needy. If you are an asylum seeker or an immigrant coming to work in this country then we seem to bend over backwards to house them and give them all the help they need! Perhaps the government have a lot to answer for. Political correctness has gone overboard somewhere along the way.
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..