Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 18:15   #1
God Member

The Skate Park

I have just been watching the lads doing their stunts on the skate park and I must say they are pretty impressive. It makes a change to see kids actually outdoors instead of playing computer games. They are getting exercise and making good use of the facility provided for them. And best of all they aren't being disrespectful or damaging peoples property(a rare sight in these times sadly). If ever you are passing and see them I would suggest you watch them for a short time. I think you would be suitably impressed.
Old 04-09-2007, 19:47   #2
God Member

Re: The Skate Park

Whilst I agree with you Bernadette, I do think that it looks a bit of a sight. It's a shame it's so covered in graffitti, especially as it's on the direct route from town to the council office. I think they should have been a bit more careful where they positioned it.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 19:53   #3

Last time i was there i noticed quite i few of the ramps had panels missing with people inside smoking 'roll-ups' and there was even a couple having sex. Then again it is quite a while since i have been there. (Stopped going after my mate broke his wrist there).
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 19:55   #4
God Member

Yeah, these things are a great idea ... we have a couple in town and a BMX track in the west end. Gives the kids something active to do, esp. important with the increase in child obesity, which I hear is getting real bad in the UK.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 19:59   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Whilst I agree with you Bernadette, I do think that it looks a bit of a sight. It's a shame it's so covered in graffitti, especially as it's on the direct route from town to the council office. I think they should have been a bit more careful where they positioned it.
The council office wasn't there when it was built was it? If I remember rightly it was just across from us on Eagle Street. To be honest with you I don't often walk up that way, they just caught my eye when I was having a cigarette.
Old 04-09-2007, 20:04   #6
Resident Waffler

Some of the bricks are missing off the top of that nice fancy wavy wall which adds to the delapidated appearance. I've never seen skaters in there but seen bikers.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 20:09   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
The council office wasn't there when it was built was it? If I remember rightly it was just across from us on Eagle Street. To be honest with you I don't often walk up that way, they just caught my eye when I was having a cigarette.
You're perhaps right, I can't remember which came first. The building used to be SDL Trophies.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 20:19   #8
God Member

Quote:
You're perhaps right, I can't remember which came first. The building used to be SDL Trophies.
Yes it did and Eagle Street was as clean as a whistle when the offices were across the road. The cleaners were round first thing every morning, which is understandable because as you quite rightly say first impressions do count for a lot.
Old 04-09-2007, 22:55   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well will have a sneck next time i pass,its good to see kids enjoying themselves thesedays. p.s. i mean in a suitable way. i aint a perv speedy.
Old 04-09-2007, 23:12   #10
God Member

Quote:
I don't think the graffiti is a bad thing to be honest. People aren't going to deface something they appreciate and use regularly. They're intention will have been to personalise the place, not deface it, so the graffiti is to me a good thing about the skate park.

Maybe I read your post wrong, but why would the people visiting council offices be bothered by the 'graffiti'? Should they only be allowed to see the pristine, polished areas of Accy?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 23:23   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I don't think the graffiti is a bad thing to be honest. People aren't going to deface something they appreciate and use regularly. They're intention will have been to personalise the place, not deface it, so the graffiti is to me a good thing about the skate park.

Maybe I read your post wrong, but why would the people visiting council offices be bothered by the 'graffiti'? Should they only be allowed to see the pristine, polished areas of Accy?
thin end of the wedge shaker, graffiti is vandalism if you own the place its your choice,if not and is allowed then its ok anywhere.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:56   #12
Resident Waffler

Interesting article in that vein in todays Daily Mail Cashy - I was very impressed by it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:03   #13
Resting in Peace

I think some of the so called graffiti is very good and very artistic and well done.
i have not seen the skate park,anyone passing with a camera could we have a photo please.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 17:29   #14

It's great when random people stand and watch us skate at the park. haha
To be honest we don't skate accy park that much, it's just too much hassle. There are always grotty kids on bikes who want to cause trouble. I mean I'm 23, and i'm not scared of the kids, it's just I can't really do anything in "self defence" if they kick off, So we skate street spots around the town instead.

The park itself is more of a BMX park than a skate park, skaters are in the minority in accy now, which is a sad thing!
magaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2007, 17:40   #15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post

Take a look at some of the "graffiti" ... one of the panels is a memorial to a girl I know who died last year, a lot of her friends use the skate park and did it for her. If that graffiti is ever planned to be "cleaned" i'll be the first one down there to stop it.
, func);**
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..