Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2006, 22:27   #1
Resting in Peace

Those Household Jobs

Come the New Year, must do summat about me house .. needs decorating top >> bottom. Get these flyers through my door which advertise 'No job too small' They do decorating, gardening, joinery, shelving, laying flooring, assembling flat-packed furniture, minor plumbing, fitting and replacing locks, window and door replacement, etc., etc., etc.

I have lots of little jobs as above which need doing as well as the decorating, and am very tempted to contact them.

Do you think they are 'Jack of all Trades; Master of None" ? Would be easier than contacting lots of different trades, which is extremely painstaking. Serious response only please..

On another note, suppose should be another thread: why do people feel the need to decorate prior to Christmas and clean the house throughout before adventuring on holiday? always been a mystery to me. Not that this is a bad thing mind you, gives you a sorta' target, doesn't it ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-12-2006, 22:32   #2
Member.

Re: Those Household Jobs

Use somebody you know or take a recommendation from someone who’s used them previously. I know you not the gullible type but there are that many bad buggers about today. I’d offer but I’m crap at it…..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 22:34   #3
Senior Member+

if i was you i would look in the paper to see if their are any semi retired odd job men,the chances are your gonna get a more honest job done at a decnt price,
jackyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 22:37   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Use somebody you know or take a recommendation from someone who’s used them previously. I know you not the gullible type but there are that many bad buggers about today. I’d offer but I’m crap at it…..
How do I find someone who has used them previously then ? Yes, may be a little gullible as feel they are just good guys trying to set up a business in their own right. Actually does say 'Very reliable with impeccable local references" How much reference do you think I will get if I ask for these ?
Old 09-12-2006, 22:38   #5
Resident Waffler

I'd be tempted to give them the benefit of the doubt at first, everybody has to start somewhere. Don't pay them up front and then if they do one job well get them to do another.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 22:49   #6
Give, give, give member

Sounds like you need to get a man in Kate, to tackle all those little jobs for you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 22:54   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I'd be tempted to give them the benefit of the doubt at first, everybody has to start somewhere. Don't pay them up front and then if they do one job well get them to do another.
Yeh, I thought that was the best way too Willow .. see what they do with my lawn, outside light bulb gone where I can't undo the screws, toilet roll holder broken away from tiles due to son and mates leaning on it whilst ... ? door handle off .. curtain rail dropped down side of me bed. Hek, sound in a bad way, don't I ? ... Better still, what are those husband thingies like ...
Old 09-12-2006, 22:57   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Sounds like you need to get a man in Kate, to tackle all those little jobs for you.
Hmmph know exactly what you mean hun That's never been a problem
Old 09-12-2006, 23:06   #9
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Better still, what are those husband thingies like ...
Erm............

I am plagued by a daughter who manages to demolish things quicker than Busman can keep up to fixing them. I think the bannuster rail thingummy has had it this time. It's been fixed so many times but she always manages to yank it off the wall.

Old 09-12-2006, 23:11   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Erm............

I am plagued by a daughter who manages to demolish things quicker than Busman can keep up to fixing them. I think the bannuster rail thingummy has had it this time. It's been fixed so many times but she always manages to yank it off the wall.
Will just have to put it down to the Energy of Youth Willow. Can't remember the last time I actually ran down the stairs or jumped off the last four steps... aaaaah, those were the days .. tee hee.
Old 09-12-2006, 23:12   #11
Resident Waffler

She's certainly got energy. She' like a human tornado.

Old 10-12-2006, 00:06   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Do It Yourself katex, women became equal in the 60s.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:57   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Do It Yourself katex, women became equal in the 60s.
Believe me, Cashman, have had to do lots of these jobs myself in the past without any help and wish I could do the bigger jobs, however, not enough time in the day when you working full time and the fact shelves fall off, door knobs drop, so have to admit not good at this. Would like a new shower, but wouldn't know one end of a pipe from t'other. Even had to send for AA man to change me flat tyre the other week ... only because can't undo those bloody wheel nuts that mechanics insist in screwing back in with a 'power screwer' .. they were brilliant anyway, had the lights to see, knew where to put the jack, understood the locking system .. 10 mins and he was away .. so why should I try ?

I agree with equality more than anybody, but there is a limit to what we ickle women can do .
Old 10-12-2006, 12:31   #14
Resting in peace

Quote:
katexDo you think they are 'Jack of all Trades; Master of None"?
You usually find these 'experts' who do 'owt' are nothing but bandits, Accrington is awash with these, most of them 'speciaise' in roof repairs, no one in their right mind goes on the roof to check their 'work'. What "no job to small" means is, as little work for as much money they can screw out of the hapless victim.

Last edited by Ianto.W.; 10-12-2006 at 12:37.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:35   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
You usually find these 'experts' who do 'owt' are nothing but bandits, Accrington is awash with these most of them 'speciaise' in roof repairs, no one in their right mind goes on the roof to check their 'work'. What "no job to small" means is, as little work for as much money they can screw out of the hapless victim.
Could be right Ian .. they describe themselves as intelligent, careful builders who are creative and can offer high quality workmanship.

'Twas that word 'creative' that worried me a little ..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..