Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2006, 13:12   #1

Tippng

I have just got back from an holiday in Sri lanka, while I enjoyed the holiday very much the one thing that I can't stand is Tipping every Tom Dick and Harry for the slightest thing, not that I am tight and don,t like parting with my money,you just don,t know how sincere people are. Here in Oz you pay a surcharge when you go to a restuarant so you don't have to tip, and the service staff don't expect it, so if a waiter is very helpfull, you know he is just being helpfull there's no other motive.I remember being in Seattle once and before we had managed the get off the airport shuttle bus some guy had put our bags on a trolley (which we could have quite easily have carried )took them 20 yards, and wanted a tip for that,I left him and my wife argueing she ended up giving him a tip but I don't think he put it where she told him to.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-10-2006, 13:21   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Tippng

not on topic i know...

but

i hope the mods cant lip read or that avatar wont last long

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 13:52   #3
Resident Waffler

Don't you tip anyone in England then?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 13:55   #4
God Member

back on topic ...........I totally agree with expat , tipping here in the US is completly out of control , waitrons in the San Francisco area think nothing of following patrons out into steet and berating them for leaving less than 20% , and make a point of informing customers with non american accents what they expect .
Bl**dy tip jars are appearing everywhere , every fastfood/coffee takeaway has a tip jar on the counter, and bar-tenders expect a buck for every drink poured .
I'm not sure who to blame , the business owners who allow the staff to behave this way , or the Govt which allows them to pay below market wages and expect tips to make up the wage , the owners whinge that if they had to pay a living/decent wage they would have to raise prices which would drive them out of business,
In some States ,employers in service/food industries are allowed to pay less than minimum wage and tips are expected to bring it up to that level, and waiters have to pay income tax on tips based on the gross reciepts of the business.

I'm not sure if this is a problem all over or just in urban/metro areas
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 13:55   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN RAVER
not on topic i know...

but

i hope the mods cant lip read or that avatar wont last long

Don't think you need to be able to lip-read to make that out.

On tipping - as a rule, I don't. Very occasionally I will, in a restaurant, if the service has been outstandingly good and there isn't already a service charge (which I consider a damned cheek anyway). Otherwise why pay more to someone who is getting paid to do their job in the first place?

I hate the American culture of tipping everything that moves, or even doesn't move, and I know someone who was pursued into the street, in New York, by the counter-jockey when he left a burger bar without leaving a tip. In a Burger Bar? What service? The guy had just handed him a carton with a burger in it, over the counter. He'd have had to chase me several blocks before he got a cent out of me.
Old 02-10-2006, 13:58   #6
Resident Waffler

Well I wouldn't tip in a burger bar but a taxi driver who helps with luggage, a waitress who gave good service in a restaurant that kind of thing - is it abnormal here to tip them?

Old 02-10-2006, 15:18   #7
Senior Member+

I tip here and know a few others that do too so its not that unusual here.

Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling,Edna Ferber.

check out our wedding pictures taken by the lovely gareth at studio25....
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...6&id=619840253
mrskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 20:50   #8
God Member

I generally tend to tip as I did that job and know just how much it means to the person receiving. Having said that its only if I feel they deserve it. In Croatia where we have just come back from the wages are so low in comparison( a graduate earns ~£400/month, bar staff etc significantly less) that a quid out of my pocket makes a big difference to the person. If you frequent a place often it also tends to get you that extra bit of attention the next time.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 22:41   #9
Resident Waffler

Just good to know I'm not abnormal then.

Old 02-10-2006, 22:52   #10
Give, give, give member

I hate the whole culture of tipping.

We sort of expect that some workers rely on tips to top up their relatively low salaries, such as waiting staff, the girl that washes your hair, and barworkers. Happily the minimum wage in this country goes someway to alleviate this guilt/blackmail tipping.

If service is good I tip, if it isn't they can whistle.
(If they whistle really well, like a nightingale, they might still earn a tip.)

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 00:42   #11
Senior Member+

We go to our local Spanish bar most evenings around five or six o'clock. A beer is a euro and our bill normally comes to seven euros (he always has one more than me).

A tip of a euro, sixty pence or so, seems reasonable to us and now and again we get a couple of free beers.

Come Christmas Eve, the staff treat the regulars and we all have free beer and tapas.

What comes around goes around.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 00:49   #12
God Member

I have worked in the hospitality area most of my working life and no matter where i have worked we have never demanded tips or made people feel they have to tip . and although it has always been minimum wage im a big believer in that if you give a good service and are polite you will be tipped .
In the last place i worked which were one of the local con clubs over here on a fri or sat night i could make just as much in tips as i would get in wages for that one night just by being given 20p tip of folk and then having to split between 5 of us .
so yes it is nice that people tip but certainly not important , in my view it is just a way of people saying thankyou for a good service .
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:02   #13
God Member

I rarely tip because I rarely go to the sort of places were I expect to tip. If i went brewers fayre I got up ordered the meal myself got up paid for it got my frinks etc so never did tip, now they keep pestering to bring drinks to the table and want me to pay at the table I feel like they expect something. Problems is unless theres somewhere the girl can take a card she wont get much because i pay for almost everything on plastic.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:31   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I rarely tip because I rarely go to the sort of places were I expect to tip. If i went brewers fayre I got up ordered the meal myself got up paid for it got my frinks etc so never did tip, now they keep pestering to bring drinks to the table and want me to pay at the table I feel like they expect something. Problems is unless theres somewhere the girl can take a card she wont get much because i pay for almost everything on plastic.

I agree to a certain extent MH, but do you do this deliberatly or is it the sort of place where you have to get up and order your own?
I certainly would not agree with tipping if I had to go to the bar and order then had to go back and pay . My idea of having to tip is purely based on table service ,ie sitting down at table , waitress taking order , same waitress dealing with you throughout your meal then waitress bringing bill , if service was good then yes tip by all means . even if you always pay by plastic it is always worth carrying a bit of loose change to tip for a good service I usually tip about £2 for a good meal
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:43   #15
God Member

I'm on about the brewers fayre pubs like the yeddon way one. not sure about accy, I know theres one towards rammy, the cobblers is a similar sort of thing too. you go to the table look at the menu get up, order your food and pay or open tab in my case, they bring the meal out. you go to the bar get drinks, and pay or put on tab, get up and order sweet and pay or put on tab.

BUT they've changed it now, and im not used to it, ONce you've ordered your meal and sat back down, everything else is ordered and paid for at the table. ( apart from at the scummy ones like tamworth brewers fayre) I feel very uncomfortable leaving without giving a tip, but i'm not going to start, I was happy with the old arrangment. our average bill at brewers fayre is about 12 quid for the two of us for two meals and two capucinos so thats £1.20
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..