Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-01-2011, 10:39   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Toll Roads and HOV lanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
There used to be a toll bridge at Cartford on the way to Knott End . The bridge has been rebuilt , and it's free now .
Can remember going to Knott End with my Father when I was just a kid and remember him having to pay
Old 30-01-2011, 11:09   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Can remember going to Knott End with my Father when I was just a kid and remember him having to pay
They charged for a Pony and Trap?

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 11:17   #18
Resting in Peace

[quote=Margaret Pilkington;878840]I know of only one other little road (and it is in Wales) where a toll is levied(5 pence per journey)........to go over a bridge built by a farmer, rather than a longer journey.

quote]

There is (or was) a little toll road owned by a farmer that I used to take whilst dropping down the A36/A350 from Bath to Shaftesbury. Sorry, can't remember exactly where. Payment was taken on trust with a tin to deposit the toll in .... minimal charge.

As for the M6 toll road, used it many times whilst travelling on business, could never tell how long you would be held up around that section of Birmingham. Bit of a gamble really .. it could be flowing, more often not though ... have been held there for up to an hour sometimes. The reason the toll keeps increasing is because it is not being used as much as was predicted.

Spain, Cashy ... the toll motorway is very well used on the Costa Bravo from Alicante airport, North and South.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 11:20   #19
Senior Member+

have to say i've never paid to use either the m6 or the severn bridge when I was coach driving. I always planned my rest stop for Norton Caines services where coaches got a free voucher to use the m6 toll if we stopped. and as for the severn bridge I just never went that route into south wales it was just as quick to take the scenic route or the M50.
Only had to cross the humber bridge once and that cost me over £12.00
(good job I got the money back)
as for the hov lanes they do have these on certain busy stretches of motorway up and down the country nearest one to here is the m62 just before bradford where they have the 2+ lane.
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 11:22   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

wouldn't have a clue about that un kate, i referred to the one by the south coast, near empty every time ive seen it.
Old 30-01-2011, 11:28   #21
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimaster View Post
as for the hov lanes they do have these on certain busy stretches of motorway up and down the country nearest one to here is the m62 just before bradford where they have the 2+ lane.
Yes, I have been down that a couple of times .. was experimental then, but think they have adopted it permanently ? Was first one I had been on and bit confusing the first time, trying to read the notices, etc.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 11:43   #22
Beacon of light

Quote:
have to say i've never paid to use either the m6 or the severn bridge when I was coach driving. I always planned my rest stop for Norton Caines services where coaches got a free voucher to use the m6 toll if we stopped. and as for the severn bridge I just never went that route into south wales it was just as quick to take the scenic route or the M50.
Only had to cross the humber bridge once and that cost me over £12.00
(good job I got the money back)

I think the coach drivers who took us on the toll bit of the motorway used the Norton Caines Service station so that they didn't pay for the use of the road either.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 12:20   #23
Senior Member+

The Tamar Bridge at Saltash is also a one way Toll Bridge, but I have forgotten in which direction you pay?????
Old 30-01-2011, 12:32   #24
Senior Member+

the little box idea is great especially abroad, the ones we used could adjusted for each country you were in. You just pulled up to the barrier,youre box was registered and away you went. Did have a couple of problems though.

1. didn't work in spain
2. wasn't accepted on the Pont Normande ( resulted in rather a large queue behind me
while I tried every fuel card until one was accepted)
3. Boss forgot to pay the bill (as above)
4. sent out in a replacement coach as mine was being serviced. Said replacement coach
didn't have magic box or a payage window so had to open door to pay by card at
every payage through France (and there's quite a few)

all in all it was damn good fun.
Old 30-01-2011, 12:33   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
The Tamar Bridge at Saltash is also a one way Toll Bridge, but I have forgotten in which direction you pay?????
Northbound I think.
Old 30-01-2011, 12:50   #26
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Up until 2008 the Tay road bridge into Dundee was free to get in, but you had to pay to get out ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 16:38   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Northbound I think.
Just looked on Google Earth - Toll Booths are on the eastern end of the bridge and it looks as though they are paying to leave Cornwall
Old 30-01-2011, 17:20   #28

Yes, you're right, it's free to get into cornwall over the bridge and on the ferry, but you pay to get back.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..