Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-08-2006, 12:25   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Tom’s In Trouble.

I don’t know about anyone else but I have spent years laughing at the antics of Tom and Jerry ever since I saw my first cartoon as a child. So much so that I have just sent for 6 Tom and Jerry DVD’s.

This cat and mouse together with the black mamma, whose face you never saw and who had more underskirts than Marks and Sparks, didn’t influence me to take up smoking or trying to annihilate anyone. Nor did I go around bashing people over the head with a frying pan. I just laughed and laughed at the Fred Quimby productions. The newer Chuck something or other productions are just not the same.

Yet some busybody has objected to these cartoons being shown to children because once in a while Tom is seen smoking a big fat cigar. Yet the cartoon violence has been totally ignored, or is that next on the list.

However it is not the first time that some busybody (Mary Whitehouse and Malcolm Muggridge) who has nothing better to do than to spoil children’s fun has objected to Tom and Jerry cartoons. They didn’t like the violence.

What is going to be next? No more old black and white films because the actors strut their stuff with a fag in the gob. Would Bogey as Phillip Marlow be the same without that fag hanging out of the corner of his mouth? What about those great cowboy films where the hero rolls a fag with one hand? Are they to be banned too?

Long live Tom and Jerry.
Old 23-08-2006, 12:35   #2
Member.

Re: Tom’s In Trouble.

I can’t really bring myself to comment on these subjects other than to say that these people are bloody idiots and its time that the authorities woke up and put a stop to it.

A interesting note is the Health and Safety Executive in the same week have told mardy arsed teachers, heads and other groups to stop using the threat of being sued as an excurse to taking out our kids and educating them. About time.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 13:29   #3

I LOVE TOM AND JERRY..... I'm 18 in a month and I still watch it now on Boomerang. It legendary. People who object to these CARTOONS really do need to get a life...Same with Bugs Bunny and road runner etc....... Love 'em!!!

Lea
x
ploppysirploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 15:36   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

always loved and laughed at these cartoons, these people who object are a classic example of whats wrong with society today.
Old 23-08-2006, 16:12   #5
Senior Member+

We still enjoy watching tom and jerry here if we catch them on tv and we are at the ages of 38 and 15 ..lol
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 16:17   #6
Resting in Peace

Nowt wrong with Tom and Jerry would love to know where JB got them from.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 18:32   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber999T
Nowt wrong with Tom and Jerry would love to know where JB got them from.
Probably the same place that the creator of Magic Roundabout got his from ....
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 20:42   #8
Senior Member+

They will be banning "ACME" anvils dropping on characters next!
Old 23-08-2006, 21:32   #9

Its PC gone mad. What is this country coming too.. =[
morgan_brotherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 22:11   #10
God Member

What will be next violence in films and computer games. Someone needs to wire this bunch of mard assed numpties to the real world and make the realise we aint as thick as they think we are.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 08:25   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Tom’s In Trouble.

Banning supposed ‘bad influence’ films and broadcasts and the like is nothing new. Back in the late forties on the Light Programme at 6.45pm every weekday evening, we youngsters of the day listen avidly to “Dick Barton Special Agent”. Dick Barton and his two sidekicks Jock and Snowy would keep Britain free from scoundrels in some exciting adventures.

Some nosey parker wanted to get the programme banned because they thought that the kids would try to emulate the programme and do ourselves some harm. They were darned tooting right we would! We did play at Dick Barton Special Agent in the same way that we played at Flash Gordon or Cowboys and Indians, BUT, and here is the real point, we KNEW it was make believe and did not go around thumping ten bells out of supposed criminals or firing guns killing all and sundry.

I got the Tom and Jerry DVD’s from Amazon Ber999T. Volumes 1 to 6 of “Tom And Jerry - Classic Collection” at £5.97 each volume. And to make my life complete they have just this minute arrived after just two days.
Old 24-08-2006, 10:39   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Tom’s In Trouble.

I’ve just got to add this.

Each DVD contains between 23 and 34 cartoons or if you like about THREE HOURS of fun. At £5.97 per DVD they have to be the bargain of the millennium. That is around 25 pence per cartoon.

If you happen to be Swedish, Norwegian, Danish or Finish you can watch them in your own language and have Icelandic subtitles. You have to be aware though because all the cartoons contain frequent, mild slapstick violence and could fall foul of the namby pamby PC brigade. I have just one word for the PC mob. BUNKUM!

Each DVD is in the TWO SIDED FORMAT. I’ve never come across that before so each one will be handled with the kid gloves until I can make copies of them. I hasten to add that copies WILL NOT BE FOR SALE OR GIVE AWAY but for my own personal use so that the originals will remain in pristine condition forever and ever.
Old 24-08-2006, 12:55   #13
God Member

Sock it to em Jambutty, the PC brigase that is.

Have only ever had one doublesided DVD and yes personal copies are need as they aint as tough as old Tom is.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..