Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2009, 18:55   #16
God Member

Re: Tony Blair a bigger liar than Pinicchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pope View Post
Steeljack - there isn't a build-up of NATO forces in the sense that you imply. Obviously, there are extra NATO forces in Afghanistan but they are not on Iran's eastern border, the are centred in southern and eastern Afghanistan.

Iran's President has threatened to "wipe Israel off the map". In these circumstances do you think Iran should be allowed to develop nuclear weapons and, if not, what do you think the international community should do about?
Seems to me most people have forgotten that Iran has had atomic/nuclear power stations for the last 30 yrs , think Abadan was the first, followed by the plant at Isfahan both supplied by the Russians so they, the Iranians are not new to the technology .
My thinking is ..if I were the Govt. in Tehran and looked around and saw foreign armies occupying the neighbouring countries to the east and west of me (Iraq and Afghanistan) , looked north and saw a giant international air base in Kyrgyzstan , and to the south saw a Battle fleet including a couple of Aircraft carriers, and probably if I looked up saw my airspace full of unoccupied drones carrying cameras I think I would tend to be a bit paranoid and think someone was out to "get me" and want to protect myself .
The "West" has 'had it in' for Iran since the Shah's Govt. fell (and lets not forget the parts played by the UK and US in that), and the 'wrong' type of Govt. took control .

Re. Israel ....don't you find it strange that the 'West' allows Israel to have atomic weapons and not only never says a word but also contiues to supply them with the technology to deliver them . Has Israel ever signed a Nuclear proliferation treaty ? . Seems to me there is more than a bit of racisim here , an Israeli/Jewish bomb is okay , but not an Iranian/Shia muslim bomb.
Just one simple question ...which country has used and is still using military force to expand its borders, Israel or Iran ?
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-12-2009, 19:03   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Seems to me most people have forgotten that Iran has had atomic/nuclear power stations for the last 30 yrs , think Abadan was the first, followed by the plant at Isfahan both supplied by the Russians so they, the Iranians are not new to the technology .
My thinking is ..if I were the Govt. in Tehran and looked around and saw foreign armies occupying the neighbouring countries to the east and west of me (Iraq and Afghanistan) , looked north and saw a giant international air base in Kyrgyzstan , and to the south saw a Battle fleet including a couple of Aircraft carriers, and probably if I looked up saw my airspace full of unoccupied drones carrying cameras I think I would tend to be a bit paranoid and think someone was out to "get me" and want to protect myself .
The "West" has 'had it in' for Iran since the Shah's Govt. fell (and lets not forget the parts played by the UK and US in that), and the 'wrong' type of Govt. took control .

Re. Israel ....don't you find it strange that the 'West' allows Israel to have atomic weapons and not only never says a word but also contiues to supply them with the technology to deliver them . Has Israel ever signed a Nuclear proliferation treaty ? . Seems to me there is more than a bit of racisim here , an Israeli/Jewish bomb is okay , but not an Iranian/Shia muslim bomb.
Just one simple question ...which country has used and is still using military force to expand its borders, Israel or Iran ?
That's a tough question ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2009, 08:19   #18
Resting in Peace

I think the answer to your question is its six of one and half a dozen of the other SJ
Old 15-12-2009, 13:06   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think the answer to your question is its six of one and half a dozen of the other SJ
I disagree wi that, whilst i have no love fer the iranian regime, Israel was n still is a law unto itself, n all the western goverments do sod all but "Kiss Israeli ass"
Old 15-12-2009, 17:05   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I disagree wi that, whilst i have no love fer the iranian regime, Israel was n still is a law unto itself, n all the western goverments do sod all but "Kiss Israeli ass"
Not too sure about this one ... Israel is a "client state" of the USA. The US may or may not tell them what to do directly; it could be that as long as Israel acts in a way that the US considers is in the best interests of the US, they can do what they want in their sphere of influence. However, Israel is not out of control. It is controlled by Washington. If Washington pulls the plug, Israel is off down the tubes.

But however one may feel about Israel, I do think it's quite obvious that their military policy is an inevitable consequence of being in a position where losing is not an option. And I still believe that the only nation in the world which is truly a law unto itself is the United States of America.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 00:06   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Seems to be a fact , according to this news report Israel has demanded a change in British Law and Gordon Brown has agreed to it.

Brown calls Livni to express regret at arrest warrant - Telegraph

seems a bit strange since his predecessor Tony Blair and neighbouring MP Jack Straw had no qualms about allowing the arrest and detention Augusto Pinochet on similar charges in 2000 ...... Pinochet was the guy who provided air bases in Chile for use by the RAF during the Falklands war . Could it be that the UK Labour party has no memory of who its (Britains ) friends are or the fact that they just don't care .
So much for the independance of the British justice system

Last edited by steeljack; 17-12-2009 at 00:06. Reason: spelling error
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 07:42   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Seems to be a fact , according to this news report Israel has demanded a change in British Law and Gordon Brown has agreed to it.

Brown calls Livni to express regret at arrest warrant - Telegraph

seems a bit strange since his predecessor Tony Blair and neighbouring MP Jack Straw had no qualms about allowing the arrest and detention Augusto Pinochet on similar charges in 2000 ...... Pinochet was the guy who provided air bases in Chile for use by the RAF during the Falklands war . Could it be that the UK Labour party has no memory of who its (Britains ) friends are or the fact that they just don't care .
So much for the independance of the British justice system
I would imagine the Labour government, and party, are very twitchy about the whole subject of former politicians being arrested whilst abroad on war crimes charges. After all, Blair does a lot of travelling these days, doesn't he?
Old 17-12-2009, 08:23   #23
Resting in Peace

Re: Tony Blair a bigger liar than Pinocchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
I would imagine the Labour government, and party, are very twitchy about the whole subject of former politicians being arrested whilst abroad on war crimes charges. After all, Blair does a lot of travelling these days, doesn't he?
Not enough for me Wynonie, he's seen in this country far to often

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..