Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-05-2007, 23:05   #76
Give, give, give member

Re: Tony Blair Mark Two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thindle View Post
Three cheers for Tony Blair. Hip, Hip Hurrah ETC.

Should that not be two cheers?

As one of your quoted hips is on a list, waiting for a replacement.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-05-2007, 23:08   #77
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Should that not be two cheers?

As one of your quoted hips is on a list, waiting for a replacement.
NHo garinda i'm waiting for new ar***e replacement Do you want to stand in till I get one.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2007, 23:15   #78
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
NHo garinda i'm waiting for new ar***e replacement Do you want to stand in till I get one.
Are you in BUPA?

Send me your credit card details, and I'm yours.

Old 24-05-2007, 23:26   #79
Resting in peace

Quote:
Are you in BUPA?

Send me your credit card details, and I'm yours.
I'm in the system gary and I am anybody's, I had that lovely lady from the NHS round this morning, What a nice person ,she was called a disabilaty assesment person 'I think' the gear arrives tomorrow, no need for BUPA they can't hold a candle to our Health Service, waste of money in my humble opinion.
Old 24-05-2007, 23:28   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i,ll second that a complete waste of money.
Old 24-05-2007, 23:29   #81
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'm in the system gary and I am anybody's, I had that lovely lady from the NHS round this morning, What a nice person ,she was called a disabilaty assesment person 'I think' the gear arrives tomorrow, no need for BUPA they can't hold a candle to our Health Service, waste of money in my humble opinion.
Well since you are happy with the NHS, and refuse to pay the going rate, I'm unable to be your arsehole.

Old 25-05-2007, 00:10   #82
Resting in peace

Quote:
Well since you are happy with the NHS, and refuse to pay the going rate, I'm unable to be your arsehole.
When The'll have me gary I'll have them. I cant even get holiday insurance never mind BUPA.
Old 25-05-2007, 15:51   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billcat View Post
I was not talking about the Federal government specifically.

Home schooling is growing, in large part, because there are folks who wish their kids to remain ignorant on certain subjects, such as evolution.
No, but I was......as I believe my previous comments made perfectly clear.

Your take on home schooling is way behind the times. Initially, it was parents of strong religious conviction who chose this method of education. Nowadays, it's across the board. And if you'd bother to check, you would find that home schooled kids test extremely well and are better prepared for college.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 15:58   #84

Quote:
We are all now speaking with benefit of hindsight, the outcome of these conflicts will be the judge of both Dubya Bush and Tony Blairs foreign policies.As regard to local education and other day to day problems these really are the remit of the appointed ministers and the Mandarins, yes at the end of the day the leader is ultimatley responsible. In my opinion the education system of our country is a shambles, I cannot speak for the USA or any other country. The basic three 'R's are not the primary subjects anymore, the teaching of basic English has first to be taught, as the families of some immigrants cannot, or do not teach their siblings English, but the language of their country of birth. Thus we have a situation where if you are trapped in an area where you are a minority, amongst immigrants through poverty or circumstances your children will be held back whilst the others 'cach up', this time can never be given back as it is to late, the end product is semi illiteracy. I am not a racist this is just common sense, this is why you have 'Ghetto's', a prime example are the two schools where I received my primary education and secondary education, Spring Hill and Hyndburn Park Schools. 99.9% Asian. This has got to be said painfull or not!
I agree with you, Ian. But with or without the immigration question, the schools are still not offering the same sort of rigorous education that you and I received. My sister, who teaches in the Midlands, is retiring in July after more than 30 years. All of the joy of teaching went by the wayside some time ago and she has had more than enough. She is not alone. The system is losing so many of it's good, well trained people.
Old 25-05-2007, 16:46   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
The system is losing so many of it's good, well trained people.
its true some of the so called teachers that i know are very poorly educated and thick too. one teacher i know failed her gcses several times and had to retake her maths gcse 4 times! she needed the maths gcse to indicate she did have some sort of brain. it was essential to the teaching course. did they bother that she had to retake it so many times to pass? nocause they know people just dont want to teach anymore so the half wits are left to take the jobs.
spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 18:12   #86
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinner View Post
its true some of the so called teachers that i know are very poorly educated and thick too. one teacher i know failed her gcses several times and had to retake her maths gcse 4 times! she needed the maths gcse to indicate she did have some sort of brain. it was essential to the teaching course. did they bother that she had to retake it so many times to pass? nocause they know people just dont want to teach anymore so the half wits are left to take the jobs.
In fact you need more qualifications to teach today then you ever did in the past. You are right, you do need GSCE Maths, but you also need a degree, ot a post-grad teaching qualification, to enter the profession. Something that wasn't prerequisite in the past.

Miss Moore, former Head of Rhyddings didn't have a degree.

Old 25-05-2007, 18:41   #87

Quote:
Miss Moore, former Head of Rhyddings didn't have a degree.
And I'll bet Miss Moore was better educated! If what my sister says is true about the current crop of incoming teachers, perhaps the standards at teachers' training colleges have been lowered significantly. The newbies at her school apparently leave a lot to be desired.
Old 25-05-2007, 21:58   #88
Resting in peace

As you all know life is not about pieces of paper that proffess what or what not you are capable of, it is a hands on profession, some can and some cant do and undo the nuts and bolts, but have the paper work that say they can. All I know is that teaching used to be like the legal profession sons/ daughters followed fathers/mothers into the job thus already forearmed with what and how to handle a class of students. Children then were just as unruly and mischeavous in my day as they are now nothing changes human nature, I mighn't just add that the classes were well in excess of 40 as there was a population boom after WW2, so there is really no excuse for illiteracy with todays school leavers.
Old 25-05-2007, 22:15   #89
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullseyebarb View Post
And I'll bet Miss Moore was better educated! If what my sister says is true about the current crop of incoming teachers, perhaps the standards at teachers' training colleges have been lowered significantly. The newbies at her school apparently leave a lot to be desired.
According to my mum the majority of teachers at Rhyddings in the 1950's, were a collection of numskulls and perverts. Happily that is not the case today.

Old 27-05-2007, 19:54   #90

Quote:
According to my mum the majority of teachers at Rhyddings in the 1950's, were a collection of numskulls and perverts. Happily that is not the case today.
Your mother's opinions, along with those of my sister, are purely anecdotal. The proof is in the pudding. Which generation was better educated and more prepared for life? Time will tell.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..