Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2006, 16:19   #1
Senior Member+

Town vs City

which is better?

in a discussion with a relative from birmingham i argued that the town was better due to its smaller size hence safer, cleaner and better local amenities. comparing it to b'ham where the hospital waiting times are ridiculous unless ur on the verge of dying, where the streets are alot worse than in towns, alot dirtier and crime ridden.

but then he argued that it was the cities where the investment was happening and things are improving and most of the money goes to such areas and the towns are given the left overs...

whaddya think?
Old 21-06-2006, 18:06   #2
God Member

Re: Town vs City

Towns are fine but can die easier than a city especially if close enough to a city. More pubs clubs shops etc so ideally live in a small town close enough to a vibrent city.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 00:32   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

have lived in towns most of my life,but have lived a few years in citys prefer towns cos they are far more sociable in my opinion.the 2 citys i lived in were very unfriendly places.
Old 22-06-2006, 01:45   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani
which is better?

in a discussion with a relative from birmingham i argued that the town was better due to its smaller size hence safer, cleaner and better local amenities. comparing it to b'ham where the hospital waiting times are ridiculous unless ur on the verge of dying, where the streets are alot worse than in towns, alot dirtier and crime ridden.

but then he argued that it was the cities where the investment was happening and things are improving and most of the money goes to such areas and the towns are given the left overs...

whaddya think?
lesson in life here. The town, and why?, because all the above is true, ALL the bove is true, both sides, in other words the town dweller wins, cos we get the best of the town, the best of the city, as it's so near and easy to get to, and not the worst of the city. The worst of the town is far better than the worst of the city, we get the best of their facilities if we choose, the best of ours, hospitals, cinema, leisure, shops, less crime, less chance of getting shot plus open roling countryside and fresh air on our doorsteps.
The investment in cities is mainly in the centre, where the shops are, which suits me fine. Ask his about aston and lozells lmao. I've been to pubs in brum and the doormen carry machette's. I wouldn't live in birmingham if they paid me a grand a day.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 06:33   #5
God Member

Aye, I'd agree, I'm not a city person at all. They are OK to visit for a day or two above that I just feel uncomfortable.

I've mentioned before that I get asked at work quite a lot why I live so far away(54 miles each way every day). I respond that Accrington is perfectly located, its 30 mins into Manchester city centre, 45 gets me to Blackpool, fleetwood, an hour and I can be in the Lakes, the Ribble Valley is on our doorstep. House prices are cheap(yes really, I showed my workmate the supplement from the observer last week, he couldn't believe we can still buy semi's for under £200K). For shopping we have at least 5 good market towns within 30 mins drive. I can be walking in the countryside within 5 minutes.
Why would I want to live anywhere else?(OK the weather but we can't do much about that one )

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 07:57   #6
Give, give, give member

I've lived in both towns and cities. Living in London in my twenties and thirties was fun, there is simply everything you could possibly want to do on your doorstep.

I made the best decision of my life moving back to Oswaldtwistle though, and will enjoy spending my twenties and thirties all over again here.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 09:41   #7
Resting in peace

I'm lucky because I have the best of both worlds. Most of the time I spend in London, but come up frequently to Ossy. When in Ossy, I never want to leave, but once I'm back in London I enjoy our life here. It is not quite true, though, that cities are unfriendly. Our local area is very much like a village, we have our local shops, and chat on the pavement - I can go out to buy a newspaper and take an hour because I bump into neighbours and chat for a while. Some parts of cities are grim, I agree, there are areas in London where I lock the car doors when I drive through them, and there are some areas where I wouldn't go for a very large pension. But do agree with Madhatter, I wouldn't want to live in Brum!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 13:26   #8
God Member

Quote:
I've lived in both towns and cities. Living in London in my twenties and thirties was fun, there is simply everything you could possibly want to do on your doorstep.
countryside, fields, fresh air, safety, lack of guns and street crime, drugs crimes. we get very few of those.

Quote:
I'm lucky because I have the best of both worlds.
so do we though, we just don't live there, we go enjoy, use the facilities and leg it before it gets dark.
Brum has it's nice safe areas as does london, liverpool, manchester and all cities, just that the larger the city, the more rough areas it seems to have, and brum is the second largest, infact the largest real city, as london centre is a fake ponsed up tourist attraction to hide the rat infested deprevation of a lot of areas on the outskirts of the centre. It's that side that makes londons worst bits bareable. birmingham has no tourist centre to ballance the bad bits, it only has it's good areas. If I was going to go to a city, it would be chester, not brum, I've always felt more welcome up north, than down south or in the midlands, and I'd have happily moved to rawtenstall to be with my ex.
Old 22-06-2006, 14:08   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
countryside, fields, fresh air, safety, lack of guns and street crime, drugs crimes. we get very few of those.
When I lived in London I was lucky as it was only a two minute walk to the common and Lido. When I had a day off in the week it was so deserted it was like being in the country.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 14:12   #10
God Member

ah, it was 'like' thats like being in that bubble in the new forrest and pretending your out in the countryside.
Old 22-06-2006, 14:53   #11
I am Banned

Though when your a townie coming into a city it can be quite scary because everything is larger & busier also strange whether those feelings are to do with media reports or whatever i feel safer in a town maybe cos thats more familiar & all i know....hence stayed a townie lol
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 15:03   #12
God Member

na, thats not to do with news papers, everything is larger busier, and more dangerous, you instantly aware or most are that they are more vulnerable than in a town, but it takes time to become city streetwise. I'm still not even after living in and visiting liverpool for all those years. I'd still be very wary of the city centre especially in the evening. I'd stick to the expensive touristy bit round the caves. The amount of people and how busy it is one thing that hits you. In most cities it dies even on the weekend after a certain time. I could walk down the centre of the main dual carriage way out of liverpool and dodge a dozen cars, it's so quiet at night.
London is different, it never sleeps, and the main roads are never that quiet.

I'll always be a townie too mel, I just couldn't live in that soert of environment. I think I'm too much of a softy to really.
Old 22-06-2006, 19:34   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Living in London in my forties and fifties was fun, there is simply everything you could possibly want to do on your doorstep.
You were verging on giving us too much information then Gary. What you got up to would scare most of us mere mortals

Last edited by Neil; 22-06-2006 at 19:39.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 19:51   #14
God Member

I bet it would lol. I'm sure you had loads on your doorstep that I wouldn't want
Old 23-06-2006, 02:57   #15
Senior Member+

i totally agree with the brum statement - that place is a cesspool its just goin crazier day by day. the amount of drugs adn crime that goes on is amazingly high. the cops know but what do they go in with? a baton? and the other guy has a sawn off shotgun.

within a certain degree i cud let kids out adn play on the st - no chance in a city

quite a few yrs back my inlaws got robbed - thieves broke in - cleaned out the upstairs bedrooms etc took loads of gold jewellery - best thing about it?

my inlaws with their kids were sittin down stairs...

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..