Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-01-2005, 21:25   #1
Senior Member+

Traffic Lights for Town Hall

Todays Observer http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/..._id=11948.html

Is it not the Buses (20mph+though the no go zone) that are causing the problem
Trust our Council, to come up with a fantastic solution.

Why not just "CLOSE IT TO ALL TRAFFIC" between 9AM to 6PM
park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-01-2005, 22:52   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Traffic Lights for Town Hall

The buses are supposed to do 5mph along there. We've got a thread somewhere where one of our members sees nothing wrong with cars zooming through at 20 -25mph and that really is a problem.

Can't see this solution working for long because Peter Britcliffe doesn't like it. He says it isn't a road, it's a bed settee remember.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2005, 04:57   #3
God Member

I see that the Council is still on form. And have come up with the usual solution, which is no solution at all. After all that has been said on this problem, after the accidents, the steaming half-wits go for temporary traffic lights. Why is it such a problem for them to get their heads round the idea that the bed-settee should be closed to all traffic,full stop.
Why do we need yet more bl**dy street furniture cluttering the area. Looking towards the Town Hall from little Blackburn Road all you can see is a forest of poles and signs. Atrractive it is not, and evidently motorists take not a blind bit of bl**dy notice of them anyway!

Now we begin to get some idea of where the council squanders it's money - Road signs!
Old 15-01-2005, 08:10   #4
Senior Member+

Yep, the cheapest and most effective solution would be to close it to all traffic, the whole area including blackburn road is a mess, an the new traffic wardens don't seem to have made much difference Plus the same article talks about opening up St James street again, what problems would that cause. The bus companies state in the article that it would be dangerous for the buses to use Church street as access to "the bus station" Church street is another as bad as blackburn road, so what are the "wardens" doing, don't seem to have had much impact on these areas, cars still park anywhere
Old 15-01-2005, 21:32   #5
Resident Waffler

Why would Church Street be dangerous? Some buses approach from that direction already.

They are also able to approach from Little Blackburn Rd Peel Street and Infant Street. Perhaps the route in from Blackburn needs to be re-thought.

Old 15-01-2005, 21:41   #6
Senior Member+

Read the article in the Observer, thats what the bus companies are saying

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

Old 15-01-2005, 21:48   #7
Resident Waffler

Yes I see that they say that but I don't see why it would be particularly dangerous. Maybe I'm missing something that another Accywebber could enlighten me on.

Old 15-01-2005, 21:56   #8
God Member

I've just had another squint at the article and I think they are refering to Paradise Street which connects Eagle Street with Church Street. The concern is about people walking up and down St.James' Street.
Old 15-01-2005, 21:59   #9
Resident Waffler

In that case they'll have to provide a crossing - hmm come to think of it HBC don't approve of crossings do they? They would rather use traffic calming measures such as chicanes and road humps.

Old 15-01-2005, 22:00   #10
Senior Member+

I was just pointing out the thoughts of the bus companies,
would a better route for the blackburn buses not be to turn left at the traffic lights (before the railway arch blackburn road) down to round about, up past the Castle pub, keeping to the right hand lane, on to the lights at Avenue parade, turn right and the straight down in to the Bus Station, busses leaving accrington for blackburn could take the same route. "Just a suggestion"

Albert Einstein.

Old 15-01-2005, 22:03   #11
God Member

Ooo! Joined up thinking. I can tell you don't work for HBC
Old 15-01-2005, 22:03   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
In that case they'll have to provide a crossing - hmm come to think of it HBC don't approve of crossings do they? They would rather use traffic calming measures such as chicanes and road humps.
Are traffic calming measures not down to Lancashire County Council

Albert Einstein.

Old 15-01-2005, 22:04   #13
Resident Waffler

That's the sort of suggestion I was meaning when I said they could do to rethink the whole approach from Blackburn. We'd lose one or two bus stops on Blackburn Rd but if the buses went up Eagle Street we'd some those too. There is sometimes a bit of congestion at the roundabout which would probably cause complaints if the buses were delayed but you can't win em all.

Old 15-01-2005, 22:05   #14
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Perhaps the route in from Blackburn needs to be re-thought.
I know it might be over-simplistic but, what if the Blackburn road was turned into a throughfare that ALL traffic could use? This in itself would solve a few problems all at once! For example buses could travel along it saving them from having to divert along unsuitable side streets, Motorists could use it as a short cut from one side of Accrington to the other, Pedestrians could be re-trained to use pavements & look before they cross.
Strangers to the town would be able to see that we actually do have some shops left as they hurried through from Blackburn to Burnley (some may even be tempted to stop & spend a pound!).
Introducing this system could also mean that our blue boxes & paper sacks would no longer be required because Hyndburn would be able to reach their re-cycling quota just by scrapping the street signs.

But whatever happens it won't have anything at all to do with what the majority of us want.

Last edited by Less; 15-01-2005 at 22:07.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2005, 22:06   #15
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Are traffic calming measures not down to Lancashire County Council
I could be wrong but when I approached with the suggestion of a crossing on Queens Road West following my daughter's accident last year it was HBC who said that they didn't consider it necessary.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..