Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2012, 13:07   #1

Trees???

I recently took the dog for a walk along the old railway lines in Baxenden and, for the first time in a long time, I walked up through the large meadow (commonly known by the Hollins schoolkids as "Killer Hill") next to the football pitches. I was met with the sight of hundreds of plastic things hiding young trees. Now I love trees as much as anybody (probably more than most) but I think some places are better without them. This particular meadow has sweeping views and plenty of space for dogs to run free, not to mention a safe place for women alone to walk the dog. I was frankly sickened by the sight of it.
Does anyone know who is responsible for this act of environmental vandalism? When grown the views will be gone and the whole area will be enclosed and potentially unsafe.
Answers please.
Houseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2012, 13:47   #2
God Member

Re: Trees???

Fraid I don't have any answers, just questions really!

Is it private or public land?

Is the planting very regular like managed woodland of more haphazard?

Perhaps you could take another walk along that way and take a few shots (if you have a digital camera) and put them on here to show just how much planting has gone on and what kind of trees have been planted...I'm not exactly sure of the view that way so would be useful to see that too!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 17:46   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Fraid I don't have any answers, just questions really!

Is it private or public land?

Is the planting very regular like managed woodland of more haphazard?

Perhaps you could take another walk along that way and take a few shots (if you have a digital camera) and put them on here to show just how much planting has gone on and what kind of trees have been planted...I'm not exactly sure of the view that way so would be useful to see that too!
It won't be private land Di, people with sense won't waste there money like
Old 14-08-2012, 18:07   #4
God Member

Government grants are awarded for creation of new woodlands

The Big Tree Plant funding scheme open for applications
"The campaign - to plant one million extra trees across England in the next four years - was launched by Defra Minister Jim Paice in December and is the first government tree planting campaign since the 1970s. It will plant trees in urban areas that need them most, harnessing the Big Society to deliver benefits to local communities."

Trees improve air quality and provide wildlife habitat.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 18:12   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Government grants are awarded for creation of new woodlands

The Big Tree Plant funding scheme open for applications
"The campaign - to plant one million extra trees across England in the next four years - was launched by Defra Minister Jim Paice in December and is the first government tree planting campaign since the 1970s. It will plant trees in urban areas that need them most, harnessing the Big Society to deliver benefits to local communities."

Trees improve air quality and provide wildlife habitat.
Well there was loads of wild life around Ossy the other week and ya didn't like it
Old 14-08-2012, 18:16   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well there was loads of wild life around Ossy the other week and ya didn't like it
Rumour has it that an ogre lives near me at the bottom of the hill .

(grammar now corrected)

Last edited by MargaretR; 14-08-2012 at 18:19.
Old 14-08-2012, 18:18   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Rumour has it that an ogre lives at the bottom of the hill near me.
Thought you lived at the top of the hill
Old 14-08-2012, 18:20   #8
God Member

Quote:
Thought you lived at the top of the hill
(grammar now corrected)

Old 14-08-2012, 18:25   #9
Resting In Peace

My cousin has got a huge tree right outside her house on the Milnshaw estate. It's growing in the pavement and the roots periodically come up through the paving which the council then replace with tarmac -which they come up through even faster. The thing spews branches and leaves all over her front garden as well.

There are a few trees like this on the estate -I reckon they were there before the houses were built and the council just left them.

Trees in urban areas are nearly always in the wrong place. The previous owner of our house had a thing about trees and planted lots of small saplings along the edge of our property. Far too close together, they have now grown, obviously, and are overshadowing and sticking out into the small narrow private road where we live. Which means we have to keep cutting bits off so vehicles can get through and because we are in a conservation area there is a limit to what we can do.

There was no need for these trees from an environmental point of view as right behind the house is the old cemetery which is full of trees and is being managed for wildlife.
Old 14-08-2012, 18:26   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
(grammar now corrected)
Well if you wrote what you ment you wouldn't have to correct it would ya
Old 14-08-2012, 18:39   #11
God Member

Quote:
Well if you wrote what you meAnt you wouldn't have to correct it would ya
(spelling now corrected)

Old 14-08-2012, 18:43   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
(spelling now corrected)
wrong post quoted
Old 14-08-2012, 19:29   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
Does anyone know who is responsible for this act of environmental vandalism? When grown the views will be gone and the whole area will be enclosed and potentially unsafe.
Answers please.

Surely that's a matter of personal opinion. Lots of people would no doubt prefer a wooded area.
Old 14-08-2012, 20:21   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Surely that's a matter of personal opinion. Lots of people would no doubt prefer a wooded area.
Plenty of trees to pick from
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2012, 22:29   #15

Ring the Special Branch
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..