Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-01-2008, 18:53   #1

Trees in Hodder St

Around last April or early May I posted a photo of one ot Hodder street`s cherry blossom trees in full bloom -- here it is again along with a few more photos taken today ( Monday 16th ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tree-A-A-April-07.jpg (89.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Tree-G-P.jpg (96.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Tree-B-P.jpg (94.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Tree-D-P.jpg (71.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Tree-F-P.jpg (111.1 KB, 39 views)
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-01-2008, 18:56   #2

Re: Trees in Hodder St

Any particular reason why this has been done ?
Old 16-01-2008, 18:59   #3
God Member

I agree it's a shame to fell any tree but they can damage house foundations when too near property - looks like that is the reason is here.(look at the state of the pavement)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 19:24   #4

Looks like you are right Margaret, in the same picture it looks like the roots have encroached into the road, you can see where it has been resurfaced a bit. Pity they couldn’t have saved the tree with some of its roots and replanted elsewhere. Most likely impractical or a cost issue.
Old 16-01-2008, 22:03   #5
Resident Waffler

This seems to be normal practice in Accy when trees get too big. I remember it being done in Avenue Parade.

When he first came up here Busman said there were no trees in Accrington, only saplings.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 13:41   #6
Senior Member+

I have been monitoring this and also lament the loss of those magnificent cherry blossoms. I live in Hodder Street now BTW.

1) The roots were wrecking the pavements etc...
2) A lot of the worst roots had been removed previously and the trees had become unstable
3) The remaining 5 are also diseased.
4) In trying to limit the damage previously, root repair and limited cull of 3 had taken place - this failed
5) Replanting will take place immediately
6) Hyndburn's Tree Officer, the person responsible for this decision, bought her house on Hodder St partly because the street had a nice look about it, felt there was little option.

Hope that helps
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 20:33   #7
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Sorry Graham but this is utter vandalism but it does look like this was the only way. Off topic there are whispers that after being an unadopted road for many years there are plans to tarmac the road and the whispers say its something to do with you, who only recently moved on to Hodder Street.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 21:57   #8
Senior Member+

Must be Tory voters! No I have asked around about the road for years. Thanks to Clr Britcliffe trying to say I was a landlord I think everyone knew I bought a house on Hodder St in 2002. Anyone can check on houseprices.co.uk and type the number in.

It's all rubbish. Most people I found (when I was going to sell it and didn't live there) were against because they didn't want a rat run. So that's where it has been left. I am going to look into getting some crush soon for Hodder and Annie St (which I have been working on even longer) to have them looking a bit better.

I separated so I had to move there. Spent too much of my life doing Council stuff and not enough looking after Paula.

BTW the grass should grow on the patch of land at the bottom of your street. Think it will look a lot better.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 19:08   #9
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
BTW the grass should grow on the patch of land at the bottom of your street. Think it will look a lot better.
Agreed once there is a bit of green growing but it's an improvement as it is now, thanks for your input and hardwork, if you could push for a couple of dog poo bins it would be appreciated.

Any chance of a skip amnesty (if that's what it's called) before the dumping starts, please?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 19:33   #10
God Member

I have a large scandinavian maple within 20ft of my front window. It towers a good 10ft above roof height. I am only a tenant so I am not concerned that it may cause damage to the foundations of these 2 storey flats. I am concerned that the leaves block the drain covers and cause a pond and slutch at the front door which gets trodden up the communal staircase which only I bother to keep clean.
Birds sitting in it crap on my car.
It also blocks my view completely when it is in full leaf.
There are some small compensations - birds nest in it - in a hot summer it will reduce heat gain via my windows.
I love trees but think that this one might be past its sell by date.
Perhaps I ought to contact 'the tree officer'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 14:59   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I have been monitoring this and also lament the loss of those magnificent cherry blossoms. I live in Hodder Street now BTW.
Must admit am a little puzzled here ... on the HBC site puts Cllr. Jones as living in Cedar Street .. has he not told 'em he has moved .. LOL
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 15:08   #12
Senior Member+

HBC site is rarely used / updated to be honest, i can remember when a deceased counciller was on as still working on that ward and he/she had died long before.

Might i add that as a resident of Hodder St, how different the street looks without the trees and i hope LCC hurry up with the planting of the new ones
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 17:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Must admit am a little puzzled here ... on the HBC site puts Cllr. Jones as living in Cedar Street .. has he not told 'em he has moved .. LOL
It's just not been updated yet

.. "The more u see the less u know. The less u find out as u go." 'Sir Bono'

WalkOnBRFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 18:02   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkOnBRFC View Post
It's just not been updated yet

Why do I get the feeling you know a lot more than what ya' telling
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2008, 18:05   #15
Senior Member+

The point is the site is rarely used by the council i would be suprised if there is someone responsible to edit that site (web master)
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..