Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 09:04   #1
Senior Member+

trench/sculpture on the hill

why can we not have a sculpture on top of the coppice and some war time/trench activity building?

just a thought

if HBC and half the folk of hyndburn had been in charge of the ROMAN/GREEK empires then half the wonders of the world would not have been built as they were not there 70 years ago and it was all alright then!!!!

loweiy
Old 12-08-2004, 14:08   #2
God Member

Re: trench/sculpture on the hill

>>why can we not have a sculpture on top of the coppice and some war time/trench activity building?<<

I think it is a brilliant thought. But I fear that the answer from HBC to that one would be- ' We couldn't possibly afford it'!

Funny that they seem to be more than capable of finding money to spend on their own pet projects/comfort/pensions/allowances/golden handshakes though.
Old 12-08-2004, 14:48   #3
Senior Member+

How about a big sign with Accrington on it? To think they actually thought of that and not a Museum or Trbute to the pals, what a council.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 15:14   #4

To be honest I'm beginning to think we shouldn't put anything on top of the coppice - the reason being that the people who will be in charge of any such project will no doubt be the same jokers who thought of the Accrington sign! I dont trust them not to make a complete hash of it and then we'll be stuck with some eyesore!

Theres not a cat in hells chance of them agreeing to both - and I'd be a bit dubious about the cost of any sculpture considering the 30 or so grand it cost for the cog outside Scaitcliffe House.
Old 13-08-2004, 11:57   #5
Senior Member+

What ever the council put on the coppice i'm sure it wont be long before hooligans of accy wreck it.
Old 13-08-2004, 12:09   #6
God Member

If Athens has got the Acropolis on top of it's hill, why don't we build the ACCYOPOLIS. In fact, what about an Olympic bid for Accy 2016....makes more sense than a London bid for 2012.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 12:18   #7

Why some form of Art??

Any money should be spent on improving the local services! For the benefit of everbody!!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 12:21   #8
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Why some form of Art??

Any money should be spent on improving the local services! For the benefit of everbody!!
Paying some bu**er for Sweeping the streets would be a start…………….
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2004, 23:46   #9
Resident Waffler

Amen to that one Doug.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 01:30   #10
Always EVIL within us

Angry Re: trench/sculpture on the hill

I agree with you Doug, I personally would like to see the coppice cleaned up, access improved, and leave it to the locals to enjoy the views! Accy will always be seen by outsiders as an industrial slum, What benefit is there in trying to educate them? How many people will come flocking to Accy just because we stick an eyesore on top of a hill?

The Coppice CAN become a place of beauty and tranquility.........but there is no benefit in sharing it with neighbouring towns! People will not flock to the town centre just because they are visiting a beauty spot out of town. If the council get it wrong, we will be the laughing stock of the U.K. Spend the money on something more worthwhile like educating the street cleaners on how to clean the streets! THAT would be a start in the right direction. Either knock down or preserve the old factories in the area, don't leave them to disintegrate on their own.

And the trenches? get them cleaned up, but why make an issue of them? Keep the knowledge of their history within the people that care about them.

As for the "Accy Cog" ...... 30 grand spent on a lump of iron that is out of the town centre and the only people that appreciate it are the office workers from the council who can enjoy their sarnies sitting in the sun on the benches supplied by themselves in an oasis surrounded by slums desperate for a cash injection!! I hope they choke on their prawn sarnies.....or get sun-stroke! (IF the sun ever comes out!)
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 08:07   #11
God Member

I dont think the Coppice needs anything, I live fairly close and regularly take a walk over and its nice as it is, well on a good day, there are lots of other things that the council can spend their money on, improving housing, roads and the cleanliness of the streets would just be a start!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 09:57   #12

I'm readin what you put Busman747 and you come from out of town and think Accy is a slum so why come here? i dont think everybody thinks its a slum. Thers worse Ive seen it. What we need is a clean up and leave Coppice alone it was better before all them trees. Nice to know what you think of us here.
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 06:30   #13
Always EVIL within us

sorry Ifty, perhaps I phrased that wrongly. I love Accy, but when I look around, I see vast areas that have been ignored for decades. Old factories that are an eyesore and are crumbling into the ground. Down south, if a building is empty for any amount of time, it is demolished (or preserved) and investers are clamouring for the chance to erect an office block or a small housing estate. O.K, Some modern buildings are not exactly beautiful ....but where land is at a premium, it has to be utilised...and fast!

"Nice to know what you think of us here." You obviously haven't read some of my previous comments Ifty, Accy does have a beauty and that is in the people who live here! Life down south is a rat race and it is a total pleasure to move here and be welcomed as part of the community. My reference to "slum" was not aimed at just Accy but the entire area, and not at the people but the authorities that will allow buildings to collapse because there is plenty of other land to build on. Why build a factory or office block on virgin soil when it can be built on the site of a previous building? The answer is that it costs money to clear a site and neither the council nor company are willing to pay out!!
Every time a new building is erected on the outskirts of the town, it takes away a little area that was the nesting place of a bird or the home of a particular plant and meanwhile, every building left to rot becomes a danger to our children and a home for inner city animals like rats and foxes.

My children? (now adult) recently visited me and fell in love with the views and the area generally but they all commented on the empty run-down buildings that they noticed on the latter part of their journey. This thread is about attracting "tourists" to the area and as a "southerner" I am trying to express my views as I and thousands of others might see it.You may not like what I say but it reflects the thoughts of every southerner who visits this area for the first time. The authorities must be made aware that expansion must only take place when no other land is available!!
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 09:49   #14
Full Member+

I agree with the previous posters, leave the Coppice like it is for the local residents to enjoy. I`ve been going up there since I was a little boy and thankfully it`s not usually been overrun; In fact during the recent hot spell I counted only five people enjoying the sunshine with me.
I frequently sit on the monument gazing down on Accy and thanking God that most of the residents don`t venture up here. Let them sit on Broadway supping cider !!
Old 15-08-2004, 09:52   #15

Them empty run down buildings your southern children saw are probly the houses the council has bought up and is going to demolish when the last people have moved out of the last lot. This is people like you and your lot arriving at conclusions when they havnt got the full story. Its like people saying its a slum its full of packies but just look and the Pakistani houses are clean and painted up nice and next to them is some white trashed dump. If thers chip trays in the streets they say its too many kebab shops but who eats all the kebabs?

I read some other things you said and agree with some but it got locked off so couldnt add my peice. Here you say no matter what Accy does it will always be seen by outsiders as an industrial slum. Your words.Well Ive been south and seen some slums theres nothing like as bad here with people living in. The houses your children complain about are due to come down. Yea thers more sense in buildin on land where houses or factories used to be instead of on outskirts and hey man guess what? Accy does just that! See you know nothing. The Globe Centre was a BIG factory. Now part is offices and similar and where the rest was demolished is new houses. It wasn NOT left to rot. You see they have to know who owns a thing before it can be done and that might happen to some. New houses in Church built on demolition sites at bottom of Market Street where old shops were. Latest lot there where old reservoir used to be. NOT green land. OLD brown land. You think us slum northerners are too stupid to do that? Ormerod Street has some old houses and some new. Where do you think the new ones got built? On land where old ones got knocked down! Other people can probaly tell you more.

Go back south and look around. See what I see. Its not all pretty places but maybe you can take the southerner out of the south but you can't take the south out of the southerner. You always think you are better than north. Dream on.
Ifty is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..