Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2005, 12:10   #1
white rabbits

Troopingthe Colour

:engsmil: i know its not everyones cup of tea ,but i have just watched the trooping of the colour on the tele,,,FANTASTIC,,,it still boils down to the fact that not a single country anywhere can do what england does best .............remember the old addage .(you dont know what youve got till its gone...):engsmil:
Old 11-06-2005, 12:25   #2

There is another ceremony that is done just as well with the same precision. It's at Arlington cemetary in Washington D.C. at the tombs of the unknowns. I have seen it a few times and it amazes me how they remember all the moves and nuances.
acertun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 12:40   #3
white rabbits

Re: Troopingthe Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by acertun
There is another ceremony that is done just as well with the same precision. It's at Arlington cemetary in Washington D.C. at the tombs of the unknowns. I have seen it a few times and it amazes me how they remember all the moves and nuances.
i havent seen that acertun ,,but i love to watch anything like that,, the disciplin is marvelous .even the horses are well behaved ..maybe its time to bring back conscription..
Old 11-06-2005, 12:54   #4

Please dont mention Conscription. It took two years from me in 60. 62 and I still havent forgiven them. I do like to see other's that dont mind the army life though. The Edinburgh Tattoo is another worth watching
acertun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 20:03   #5
God Member

I saw the last half hour and thought it was great. Proud to be British, supporting the troops protecting our shores. Deep down bet the lads love dressing up day!!!

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 21:48   #6
white rabbits

i bet there were one or two proud mums videoing it...lol
Old 11-06-2005, 21:50   #7
God Member

I think the mother in me came out watching it cos I kept worrying about them overheating in them heavy uniforms and them furry hats (sorry can't remember what they call them)

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 21:54   #8
white rabbits

buzzby,s.... they are made of real bear skins,,they started to make them out of nylon for a while but even though they were lighter ,they were hotter ,now they have gone back to bear skin
Old 11-06-2005, 21:57   #9
God Member

cheers for that, but thought a buzby was a bird not a bear, wonder where the name originates from??

Old 11-06-2005, 21:59   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Smile Re: Troopingthe Colour

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
buzzby,s.... they are made of real bear skins,,they started to make them out of nylon for a while but even though they were lighter ,they were hotter ,now they have gone back to bear skin
i'm rather fond of bare skin pmsl.
Old 11-06-2005, 22:04   #11
white rabbits

lol ,,,,,,trust a man................buzby wasent he the little bird advertising b.t. at one time ..
Old 11-06-2005, 22:04   #12
God Member

oooeerrrr cashman

Old 11-06-2005, 22:05   #13
God Member

yeah I remember them BT adverts they went on for ages

Old 12-06-2005, 00:02   #14
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
:engsmil: i know its not everyones cup of tea ,but i have just watched the trooping of the colour on the tele,,,FANTASTIC,,,it still boils down to the fact that not a single country anywhere can do what england does best .............remember the old addage .(you dont know what youve got till its gone...):engsmil:
I think it would be most people’s cup of tea Grannyclaret. What you feel is pride in your armed forces and patriotism for your country. And guess what? We had it before the Yanks. I think we should be more like the Americans in this respect. They don’t quiver and hide at the thought of upsetting a few foreigners or immigrants irrespective of the race, religion or culture by flying there Flag or parading their forces, “although they do tend to do it in someone else’s country more often than not” lol. I think the must ardent sceptic, pc numpty or anti establishment a*** h*** would swell with pride at seeing British Troops parading……….I do!

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:30   #15

I agree totally I love to watch things like this, with a good band playing I alwys turn the volume up high and curse when someone is commentating over the wonderul music.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..