Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 18:32   #1
Senior Member+

Troops Get Bonus

I've just heard on the news, that British troops serving in Afghanistan, Iraq & the Balkans will get a tax free bonus of £2240 for a six month tour.

It's about time

http://www.channel4.com/news/content...sp?id=20595275

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-10-2006, 18:49   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Troops Get Bonus

Quote:
The special bonus for the 7,200 troops in Iraq and 5,600 serving in Afghanistan will be issued when they return from war and will cover their tax bills.............
.........The move is designed to put troops on an even footing with their US counterparts, who do not pay tax while in war zones.
I'm actually quite disgusted to learn that soldiers out there risking their lives are still expected to pay UK taxes.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 22:04   #3
Resting in Peace

Just listened to the salaries on the news tonight and firemen/policemen appear to be earning twice as much (no grumbles there mind you), and that privates only £12,000 summat ? My son's friend, who is now a Lance Corporal, was earning more than this and he has served in Iraq and Ireland and Bazra (spelling ?) .. bit confused.

Anyway, as stated, 'bout bloody time .... these lads bigger heroes to me than footballers, singers and film stars any time.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 22:55   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I'm actually quite disgusted to learn that soldiers out there risking their lives are still expected to pay UK taxes.
Why, every time a fireman enters a burning building he is risking his life. Should he not pay tax while he is in the building?
If they want to pay them more money then give then a wage rise, not just a bonus for doing what they are paid for anyway.
Old 10-10-2006, 23:11   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Why, every time a fireman enters a burning building he is risking his life. Should he not pay tax while he is in the building?
If they want to pay them more money then give then a wage rise, not just a bonus for doing what they are paid for anyway.
agree 100% with that statement,but then always argued nurses should get more,must be a raging leftie or summat me.
Old 10-10-2006, 23:37   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Just listened to the salaries on the news tonight and firemen/policemen appear to be earning twice as much (no grumbles there mind you)
yeah well I am bloody grumbling ( not about firemen cos they do a fantastic job) ( oh and look good while doing it)

But tonight we had a SPOT of bother up our way. A lad ( numpty) that is well known to the police put his window through in a drunken frenzie (12th time this year)..... in the prossess he gashed his little girls head ( she's only approx 5 years old) when I asked the police why he hadn't been arrested, the police women replied " because it's a demestic"......when I asked why he wasn't being done for D&D she replied " oh because it's a demestic and he is only damaging his own property"....when I asked why the social services hadn't been called for this poor child that has been through this kind of behaviour night after night she replied " oh yes they are aware of the situation". COPPERS?? shove it I will deal with things myself thanks very much.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:25   #7
I am Banned

if they realy want to treat our troops then the troops shoudl be provided with adequate body armour and artilary etc

dont know the name of the guy but one of our soldiers was ordered to hand in his bullet proof vest as it was needed elsewhere and a few days later he was host and killed by a bullet that would have not killed him if he had been allowed to keep his jacket
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:26   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Troops Get Bonus

The armed forces have always been poorly paid compared to civilians.

The government would argue that servicemen get their food, accommodation and clothing free plus free transport three times a year to go on leave so their ‘take home’ pay would always be less than a civilians. They claimed that when you added in the cost of food, accommodation and clothing the resultant pay was on a par with civilians. They also argued that a married serviceman would also get an extra allowance. I think that it was here that creative accounting was invented.

There was a time when, as far as the navy was concerned, you could get discharged early, for a fee, if you had a job to go to that paid more than the navy did.

I understand that today a service person’s pay includes the cost of food etc and that cost is deducted from the weekly pay. So if he goes on leave for a few days there are no deductions for food for the duration of the leave.

You cannot compare a service person in action with a fireman or policeman doing their duty. There is one crucial difference – a soldier is being shot at and bombed. I accept that on occasion some firemen and police are pelted with missiles but their chances of being killed on duty are very small compared to a service person on active service. Neither will put their life on the line if their CO deems the situation is too dangerous. A soldier on patrol cannot opt out just because the bullets are flying.

Our service men and women deserve a higher rate of pay and just as important equipment fit for purpose.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:42   #9
Resident Waffler

What about people who work abroad as civilians? Where do they feature in the tax stakes?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:54   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Troops Get Bonus

I think that it depends on where they get paid from.

What I mean is that if someone is working abroad for a UK firm they are liable for UK taxes. If they are working for a firm in the foreign country they pay the local taxes.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:56   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
A soldier on patrol cannot opt out just because the bullets are flying.

Our service men and women deserve a higher rate of pay and just as important equipment fit for purpose.
Nor can they go on strike for better pay or better working conditions.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 14:46   #12
I am Banned

ime pretty sure when you join teh army they tell you how much you are going to be paid , teh problem is a lot of people join up as a cheap way to learn a trade and see the world then cry when a war breaks out

i didnt join the army because i didnt fancy the idea of been shot so if you dont liek the idea that you may one day be shot at dont join the army its as simple as that
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 20:37   #13

Whatever your personal stance on any given conflict/peace keeping mission you have to agree with this news. It's long overdue and I hope it's backdated to cover each and every serving member's complete tour(s) of duty.
Old 11-10-2006, 20:45   #14
God Member

I think its disgusting that they are paying tax whilst fighting a war!

I can understand if they having a training exercise abroad or summat. Surely paying tax is your (or the government enforced your) way of contributing to the community you are part of. I wonder if what council tax band a tent in Basra comes under?
Old 11-10-2006, 20:50   #15

They deserve so much more. God bless every one of them.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..