Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-05-2005, 22:47   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Cool Trouble In The Streets

this last few weeks theirs been a big focus on trouble on the streets i.e.youngstersi have come to the conclusion that the main factor in this lack of respect,discipline,is mainly down to boredom! i remember 6 cinemas in town, 4 night coffee bars in the bridge cafe the girls used to have a bop(sit in all night with a couple of drinks)all had good jukeboxes,their was also numerous church youth clubs(table tennis etc) there was always somewhere to GO, whilst not excusing moronic behavior where can kids go nowadays? mcdonalds or the pub,dosen't seem to be anywhere else,no wonder they get bored,i'd hate to be young today,thats not just accy its everywhere.and by the way i'm not a soft touch by any stretch of the imagination,but we certainly had NO NEED to hang around the street corners what do you think?
Old 20-05-2005, 23:37   #2
I am Banned

Re: Trouble In The Streets

even if you provide things for these kids to do they dont want any part of it

the simple reason for their behaviour is that they are scum

no matter how bored you are basic human decency should prevent you from vandalising nurserys by showering glass where the children play , mugging or picking fights with older people who happen to walk by at the wrong time , scratching and various other damage to cars

one example i can give is milnshaw park

where the tennis courts once were the council got together a number of kids from the area to work with to decide what they wanted

they came up with the idea of a skateboard park but lost interest within a few weeks so it never happened

the kids were supposed to help desighn it as they would like to see it as they were the ones going to be using it

i am 34 and when i was a kid there were no council funded ideas like this and we didnt go to the pictures etc that much

i know it sounds old but we made our own entertainment either by riding around on our bikes,playing kerby , football in the park or on moorhead fields , hangiong out at each others houses playing darts and other stuff

hell we did lots of things as teeneagers besides girls and none of it involved smashing windows or mugging people

the problem is that kids today have too much time on their hands as their parents want them out of the house for as long as possible so they dont have to bother looking after them and thats why you see 13 year olds out on the streets at 11pm onwards

what you have to remember is that the majority of kids do stay out of trouble and hang out at friends or find things to do

the kids on the street corners drinking booze and causing trouble are the ones that you are going to see on trisha in 5 years time wondering who is that father of whos baby that is born with a drug or alchol addiction

one more thing lol

we have a cinema and a bowling alley right next to each other and all these kids can find to do is buy drugs and drink alchol in their carparks yet there are plenty of decent kids using the cinema and bowling alley

its not that theres nothing to do its the fact these kids choose to hang around the streets and drink booze coz it makes them well cool
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2005, 09:48   #3

Panic on streets of ACCY
Driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2005, 18:24   #4
Beacon of light

I have to say that I agree with Chav.
When I was growing up we didn't have a TV.........we didn't have money to go to the pictures except on an odd accasion.
We were taught that whatever we did, there would be consequences.......if you didn't want a good hiding then you didn't get into trouble.
The local bobby walked the beat.......he knew you and he knew your parents......if he took you home for something like throwing stones or other mischief......it was guaranteed you would get a thrashing from your parents........and you would be made to do the chores you hated for months.

We made our own entertainment.......we played street games, fivestones, skipping, tag, hide and seek etc......we were often still playing these games at 14........we were healthier kids too.
Maybe the streets were safer when I grew up.......but wouldn't they be safer if we got rid of the disrespectful yobs with their bad language and their loutish behaviour?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2005, 20:33   #5
God Member

I also agree with Chav, though not all kids hanging on street corners are bad, I think children and teenagers lack imagination these days due to computer games etc, they always seem to have to rely on being entertained instead of making their own entertainment.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2005, 00:09   #6
I am Banned

i was aiming my comments mainly at the kids who sit on street corners in gangs of upto 20 drinking beer and smashing the bottles after they have finished the damaging other peoples property etc

i agree not all kids who hang on street corners are up to no good but the majority of them are

all i can say is that when my kids reach there teens and i see them dossing on the street they will be told to come in until they can find somthing to do besides hand around street corners
Old 22-05-2005, 21:01   #7

I seem to recall that places such as the New Era on Paradise Street were specially created to keep the kids off the streets.
These Lottery funded centres were the future!
What happened?
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2005, 19:13   #8

Unhappy Re: Trouble In The Streets

As a teenager myself i have to say i actually agree with you yes i know im not a perfect angel and have let my mum and dad down loads but i have started to see sense i dont go round breaking windows and vandalising things but i have drunk on the streets and i most deffinately regret it now i have never taken drugs and dont intend too.

They have built the cinema and bowling alley for entertainment for something to do but for 15+ its something like 5 pound to go to the cinema then you've got popcorn which is like 2.50 i mean 10pound for a friday nite to go to the cinema not every kid gets that much money they all go round drinking because its cheaper. And if community wardens did there jobs properly you wouldnt have teens drinkin on streets or out after 11 i hardly ever see them round were i live and when i do they go to the community centre for a bru.

They opened the anvangelical church i think thats how you spell it near us as a youth club and almost everyone went but the boiler melted or something so they shut it down and havent done anything since.

mel3ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2005, 20:26   #9
God Member

Actually in the defence of the wardens, my 8 and 6 year old went to the fair at bullough park yesterday.
The children went upto the wardens that were giving free things away. The wardens asked the children if they would be interested in helping 1 day a week for one hour going around our area cleaning litter and general things like that, my children thought this was fantastic and couldn't wait to sign up with them. The wardens also pointed out that if any of the children had been in trouble with the poilce then they would NOT be allowed to sign up with them. In return the children get a free day at BLACPOOL ZOO, PLEASURE BEACH ect....
I do think they are trying there best and yes they are not always around but, when they are I have always found them to be very approachable, polite and will always stop to talk to the kids in the area. So I do think they are doing the best job they can.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2005, 20:29   #10
Senior Member+

I agree with you there Slinky;the wardens we have do a great job,it's a shame that they are so thinly spread. If the council had any sense we would have more and not less!
Old 23-05-2005, 20:33   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
I agree with you there Slinky;the wardens we have do a great job,it's a shame that they are so thinly spread. If the council had any sense we would have more and not less!
Yes I agree, I think they are the ONE good thing the council did but like you said Too few of them.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2005, 22:30   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I would still prefer to see more police on the streets than more wardens.
Old 23-05-2005, 22:46   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

police on the streets always used to be the way,still should be the way.not decrying the wardens who do a good job,but it seems to me its just cutting costs as opposed to policemen.
Old 23-05-2005, 22:48   #14
I am Banned

crime gets higher but ammounts of police gets fewer

it has been this way no matter who has been in power

i am begining to wonder how long it will be before people say enough is enough and groups of vigilanties set up

if the police issue isnt sorted i can honestly see it happening where people will start taking the law into their own hands

Last edited by chav1; 23-05-2005 at 22:50.
Old 24-05-2005, 08:03   #15

The Wardens do a marvellous job,the fact that their numbers have been halved is a scandal.As I have said before they are the eyes and ears of the police authority,they are seen by the public to be more visible and approachable than the often car borne officers.
The fact is we should have had more not less of these men and women on the streets;they can have as many brews as they want....they do the job!
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..