Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-09-2008, 14:19   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Turn It Off.

Is there no end to local authority crackpot ideas to soak the poor old motorist?

This latest idea as a sop to ‘Global Warming’ is to fine motorists if they are stationary with the engine running.

It obviously makes economic sense to turn the engine off when parked but not at traffic lights or if the stream of traffic is stopped for some reason, which is what the proposal is focussing on. What about buses stopped at bus stops? Fire engines attending an incident?

Once again some bright spark has come up with an idea and not thought it through.

Even on modern cars, starting an engine takes a lot out of a battery and it can take several miles of constant motion to put back what has been taken out. So crossing a city can end up with a flat battery and then your car won’t start at all and will hold up the traffic behind you. And if the car is an automatic you can’t even bump start it. The best that you can hope is if someone has some jump leads, but then they would need to run their engine whilst trying to start yours if they don’t want a flat battery. Plus there is the extra wear and tear on the starter motor.
Old 17-09-2008, 14:25   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Turn It Off.

I had these same thoughts when I heard it today too Jambutty ... don't know how they could possibly police this ... . Are we going to see special wardens to check if we have been idling for over 5 minutes?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 17:10   #3
Resident Waffler

I thought it was intended more for those who 'park' outside of someone's house waiting for others to come out but keep the engine running ad nauseum. (word chosen intentionally on account of exhaust fumes make you feel sick)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 17:18   #4
Resting in Peace

Seemed to be part of it Willow, but did mention whilst waiting at Railway crossings/school gates etc.

Most motorists will switch their engine off anyway if held up for any length of time ... know I have when stuck in a Motorway queue for long periods of time.

Was guilty of switching my engine on though when having a cigarette in my car in the car park at work during an extremely cold spell.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 17:48   #5
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Turn It Off.

As I stated earlier it is an ill thought out idea that is unworkable but I’m sure that the person who dreamed it up will move heaven and earth to get it implemented.

I mean we can’t possibly have a council official being wrong, can we?

Thanks to anonymous for the good Karma. I don't know who to return the favour to.
Old 17-09-2008, 17:55   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Doesnt it cost more money in fuel to keep starting your engine?, or is it cheaper?
Old 17-09-2008, 18:19   #7

I had a look at this review for the Citroen C3 Stop & Start ( Assume other manufacturers will be developing similar ) It seems a good idea and savings seem to be able to be had. It’s fine if the car has been designed to run like this involving specific technology and systems I don’t think it’s a good idea to be doing it with cars without the technology.

Most of us use common sense if we are going to be at a standstill with the engine idling for any length of time and switch the engine off.
Old 17-09-2008, 18:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Doesnt it cost more money in fuel to keep starting your engine?, or is it cheaper?
Yes it does and no it isn't
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 18:27   #9

think this law should be primarily aimed at buses and wagons. In other words the vehicles that pump out the most fumes. It appears that as these types of drivers have no reason for turning off their engines (eg its not their money they are burning) they don't.
that said taxi drivers are also guilty of polluting our environment in this way.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 18:33   #10

My car will tick over using unburnt fuel if stationary. However if I switch it off and on the fuel pump has to pump petrol in to fire it. Add to that that usually you have to give it a bit of accelerator to get it going, its actually more sense to keep it running. Plus think of this. How long would it take everyone to start engines,gear and move off ? How many people will stall. Think what that would do to congestion.
Old 17-09-2008, 18:34   #11
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Agree with ya there polly, the buses are the worst!, sat in the bus stop and all ya get is ruddy fumes in ya face while half of the drivers are having a fag!
Old 17-09-2008, 18:37   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Turn It Off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Agree with ya there polly, the buses are the worst!, sat in the bus stop and all ya get is ruddy fumes in ya face while half of the drivers are having a fag!
What’s this?

Passive exhaust fumes breathing.

Get it banned!
Old 17-09-2008, 18:38   #13
God Member

Another crackpot idea if you ask me.............
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2008, 18:58   #14
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoman View Post
My car will tick over using unburnt fuel if stationary. However if I switch it off and on the fuel pump has to pump petrol in to fire it. Add to that that usually you have to give it a bit of accelerator to get it going, its actually more sense to keep it running.
That in itself is not eco friendly either is it? Bigger carbon footprint for using more fuel.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2008, 09:45   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Another crackpot idea if you ask me.............
must agree pipinfort, and it probably cost an arm and a leg in grants to do the reaserch to come up with this clap trap in the first place

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..