Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should we have the TV Licence?
Yes 9 19.57%
Yes, but we should review what programmes are shown (licence should be cheaper) 6 13.04%
No 31 67.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-02-2008, 22:15   #76
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: TV Licence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Blimey, that's a lot of money!
It is and many people are paying that much for Sky and the license fee
Old 22-02-2008, 23:09   #77
Give, give, give member

No licence fee equals no funding for the B.B.C.

Simple.

I notice that no defenders of the current system have commented on the fact that we pay for foreign language broadcasts to the rest of the world on the B.B.C,and which they get to listen to for free.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 23:17   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No licence fee equals no funding for the B.B.C.

Simple.

I notice that no defenders of the current system have commented on the fact that we pay for foreign language broadcasts to the rest of the world on the B.B.C,and which they get to listen to for free.
bet those defenders had no idea? i certainly didn't,thanks for the ammo.
Old 22-02-2008, 23:26   #79
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
bet those defenders had no idea? i certainly didn't,thanks for the ammo.
I thought I hadn't seen their replies because I hit the off button when they're on.

Old 22-02-2008, 23:42   #80
God Member

Quote:
I think the BBC gets funding or did at one time , from the foriegn office budget for its overseas broadcasts as part of the Govt. propaganda program, much like Voice of America, DW (German radio) , Radio France and Radio Moscow
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2008, 23:42   #81
Give, give, give member

The cost of producing newspapers/magazines certainly isn't covered by the retail price.

It's all from advertising.

If you don't want to see them just flick over, like you can do with commercial television.

Old 22-02-2008, 23:45   #82
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
I think the BBC gets funding or did at one time , from the foriegn office budget for its overseas broadcasts as part of the Govt. propaganda program, much like Voice of America, DW (German radio) , Radio France and Radio Moscow
The same F.O. which is funded by the British tax payer, so all these Johnny foreigners can listen to programmes we've paid for?

Last edited by garinda; 22-02-2008 at 23:48.
Old 22-02-2008, 23:51   #83
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
'BBC World Service's broadcasting costs are met by a separate Parliamentary grant-in-aid, totalling £252m in 2007/08.'

BBC - Press Office - World Service information pack Constitution and Funding

...and all for free, for everyone else around the world to listen to.

Old 22-02-2008, 23:53   #84
Give, give, give member

From the same link.

'The announcement formally confirmed £15m per annum funding for a BBC news and information television channel in the Farsi (Persian) language for Iran which will be launched next year.'

Good new all round then, if you're Iranian.

Old 23-02-2008, 00:02   #85
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
The cost of producing newspapers/magazines certainly isn't covered by the retail price.

It's all from advertising.
Yes and no. I have read it cost's a couple of pence to print a newspaper. They make several times the selling price on each one sold due to advertising.
Old 23-02-2008, 00:11   #86
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Yes and no. I have read it cost's a couple of pence to print a newspaper. They make several times the selling price on each one sold due to advertising.

...and who pays the journalists, illustrators, photographers etc., their lovely big salaries, nevermind the shareholders?

Don't argue with me, I'm always right.

Old 23-02-2008, 00:35   #87
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

reading that is very annoying. Why would I want my tax/license fee to be used to provide free TV to the people we are at war with in the middle east?
Old 23-02-2008, 00:44   #88
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Cyfr you are spouting a load of crap as usual and you could do well to determine the meaning of pedantic and misguided before using them.
I'm sure I knew exactly what I was saying with those words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
However it is comforting to know that you are privy to government thinking in that if the BBC was made private the license fee WOULD BE REDUCED. The arrogance? Sheeesh!

That is the problem with people - they have made the connection between the license fee and the BBC and just refuse to accept that it is tenuous at best. THE LICENSE MONEY GOES TO THE GOVERNMENT. IT COSTS A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF MONEY TO RUN THE BBC AND THE GOVERNMENT MAKES A GRANT TO THE BBC TO ENABLE IT TO RUN. THERE IS NO DIRECT CORRELATION BETWEEN THE LICENSE FEES AND BBC FUNDING.
Writing it in red capital letters doesn't make it more correct you know. How can you not see. The government takes a licence fee, then the BBC gets a grant from the government, can you guess where the money for the grant comes from? This is clearly us funding the BBC and I'm sure every other person will read the post and see it for themselves whether they agree with the fee or not.

Quote:
Calculations theoretical eh? Now let me see dividing the license fee of £135.50 by the number of days in a normal year (365) is a fraction over 37p per day. To be really pedantic about it, it is 37.1232877p per day. No theory there, just plain FACT. But then you do seem to have difficulty from distinguishing between fact and theory. Your comments are quite simply theatrical.

Try one film per week. It would still be cheaper (£2.60) than one ticket in a cinema.
Yes it IS theory. Your assuming people will use the 37p a day watching a film on the BBC. In practice people don't do that.

Also comparing BBC on your tv to the cinema is.. well do I even need to explain why that's a bad comparison?

Quote:
The real point is, that you cannot seem to grasp, the law of the land decrees that in order to have apparatus that can receive TV programmes installed in your house you must have a TV license. Whether you watch it or not or which channels, is completely irrelevant. If you have a working apparatus you must have a license. If you don’t want to pay the license fee then don’t have such an apparatus. It’s not rocket science.

Now toddle off to mummy and get your nappy changed.
I understand the law of the land, if you read my earlier posts I'm quite aware of what is and isn't allowed, hence I only use BBC iPlayer.

The real point is that we have MP's and a parliament to amend and create laws. I'm not advocating breaking the law, I'm saying lets discuss the possibility of changing it.
Old 23-02-2008, 09:42   #89

15m per annum for a News/information channel for Iran....thats a bloody outrage
Old 23-02-2008, 10:23   #90
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
15m per annum for a News/information channel for Iran....thats a bloody outrage
..but if you work out the price per day, I'm sure you'll find it's worth every penny, or rial as it is in Iran...if they were paying for it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..