Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2004, 09:12   #1
Always EVIL within us

Tv Licence

Why is it that the TV Licencing Authority seem unable to understand that some people can exist without a TV?

When I moved to Accy in March, my TV went straight round to my fiances address as I spend most of my time there. I am at home for probably 2 hours at the most during the day which is "quality" time with my dog and late evening which is "Accy web" time!

I receive letters on a regular basis that have become more and more threatening, the latest in bold letters says "An officer is already planning to visit you within the next few days and therefore, I strongly advise you to purchase a TV licence now"

There is a small section on the back of this letter where I am invited to give reasons as to why I do not need a licence but what concern of it to them?

I telephoned the TV authorities.... and was informed that an officer will be round in a few days to confirm that I do not possess a TV set in the house. If I was a frail pensioner without a TV, I might have "buckled under" by now and bought a licence just to stop the bombardment of letters coming through my door.
Busman747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-10-2004, 10:53   #2
God Member

Re: Tv Licence

Carefull here Busman. Does your computer have a TV card in it? Irrespective of whether you use it or not, it still requires a licence.
Old 11-10-2004, 15:36   #3
Always EVIL within us

Fortunatly A-B, The answer is no, in fact I am not even sure that an aerial is fitted on top of the house.!

My only concern is that I have a record deck to play my 45's which has a radio fitted, and I believe a TV licence also covers (or used to) the radio in the car, can anyone confirm this please?
Old 11-10-2004, 15:48   #4

try here - http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/index_frameset.html

no mention of radio to my knowledge
Old 11-10-2004, 15:52   #5
God Member

Next time you receive a letter from Bristol, return it with an invoice from yourself for the time incurred in filling out the form saying "I don't have a telly" and taking it to the post office. Make it worth while - say 50 quid and tell 'em you want payment 30 days. If you don't hear from them then write another letter informing them you are passing the case on to your solicitors for legal action to commence. I did this once and did'nt hear from the buggars for about 3 years.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 16:01   #6
Always EVIL within us

Just phoned them up from the number on that site Ceejache and they confirmed that I do not require a licence for my car radio....or the computer as the only cable into the house is downstairs and the PC is upstairs. Thanks all (but I'm still mad at them )
Old 11-10-2004, 16:35   #7
Junior Member+

Was in the same situation when at University. Just let the buggers try and issue a court summons, the Magistrate will give them a hard time when its plainly obvious you do not have a TV. Make sure you fill in the costs you wish to claim for the time they have cost you
mib666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 16:57   #8
Resident Waffler

Why should a man need to enter the house in order to ascertain the absence of a TV? Aren't they supposed to have fancy little vans with radar detectors on top that can even tell which program you are watching?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 17:26   #9

My housemates at Uni. were discussing whether they can really tell if a TV is in the house through the use of their Vans and equipment. We all came to the conclusion that there was probably not enough radiation (or whatever) given off from a TV set for them to know, and even if there was how could they pinpoint so accurately on a row of back to back terraced houses? I personally still think that the exsistence of these vans is on a par with that of the Bigfoot.
Old 11-10-2004, 23:23   #10
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceejache
My housemates at Uni. were discussing whether they can really tell if a TV is in the house through the use of their Vans and equipment. We all came to the conclusion that there was probably not enough radiation (or whatever) given off from a TV set for them to know, and even if there was how could they pinpoint so accurately on a row of back to back terraced houses? I personally still think that the exsistence of these vans is on a par with that of the Bigfoot.
I have suspected that for some time, Oh, how I wish they would take me to court!!
Old 12-10-2004, 15:06   #11
Junior Member+

During my third and final year at uni, my housemates and I made it from Sept to April without a T.V liscence in our house whilst enjoying watching the biggest widescreen T.V a group of students could afford. One day about four weeks before the end of uni life...a knock on the door...the usual game of 'bagsy not answering it' ensued, with one of the other 3 'slow off the mark' house mates, having to answer it. It was the 'dreaded TV liscencing men'. Listening from our living room..we heard Alex state bold as brass to the guy stood outside..."Yeah we've got a T.V" and then "No we haven't got a liscence".

Oh no....The thing being Alex just said to the guy, "look, we're gettin one tommorrow".

Happy as Larry the guy just gave us a form to purchase one with and carried on with his business.

I in no way do I condone the 'ficticious' act described above, and I certainly do not urge students to work the system.
Creweboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..