Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-10-2011, 09:45   #1
Junior Member+

undercover opera

Hi.. wondered if anyone here had seen the verdi flashmob done in grainger market uk by amateur musicians..200 of them...
antnhec is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-10-2011, 09:53   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: undercover opera

Perhaps the singing would have been more enthusiastic if they'd ditched the Italian, and sang The Fog on the Tyne.

We're pretty hard to please round here.

After being spoiled by our own fantastic flash mob event.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 11:12   #3
God Member

Flash mob of Ravel's Bolero in Copenhagen is much better, Accy's chav mob is a close second!

Verdi's "Va Pensiero" is usually sung with a bit more verve! It's aka The Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves and is from his opera " Nabucco". It's a great favourite in Italy and is seen as a bit of a patriotic song (always on at Xmas concerts!)

Found the following translation but as with so many things it's better in the original language!

Fly, thought, on wings of gold;
go settle upon the slopes and the hills,
where, soft and mild, the sweet airs
of our native land smell fragrant!

Greet the banks of the Jordan
and Zion's toppled towers...
Oh, my country so beautiful and lost!
Oh, remembrance so dear and so fatal!

Golden harp of the prophetic seers,
why dost thou hang mute upon the willow?
Rekindle our bosom's memories,
and speak to us of times gone by!

Mindful of the fate of Jerusalem,
give forth a sound of crude lamentation,
or may the Lord inspire you a harmony of voices
which may instill virtue to suffering.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 22-10-2011 at 11:13. Reason: 3 ttt's in Better!
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 11:46   #4
Give, give, give member

These Frenchies performed it with a bit more gusto.

The one in Grainger market, I don't think can be called a flash mob, with an orchestra already set up there.

Old 22-10-2011, 11:52   #5
I am Banned

Groove thinks the flashmob phenominum is highly entertaining.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 15:23   #6
Junior Member+

strange you should mention the bolero flashmob.. as I was involved in a very very similar happening last year... when we did undercover orchestra which was a bolero flashmob in a bus station.. coincidence!

orchestra..
Old 22-10-2011, 15:34   #7
God Member

Perhaps it is just as well that I don't visit shopping malls and stations with all this Ravels Bolero music about. I love it, but it brings on a 'Meg Ryan' (as in When Harry met Sally)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 15:49   #8
Junior Member+

I would be interested if anyone on these boards was invovled with the Copenhagen work as it was so close to our efforts I am interested in how they got the idea
Old 22-10-2011, 16:01   #9
God Member

Thanx for your PM antnhec -afraid I was sent the link by a friend -I can ask her if she knows anyone..It is quite similar in some ways -though the acoustics in Copenhagen are better and - no offence, the tuning of the instruments too in some parts!

In any case anything that brings classical music closer to the general public is a good thing. Most people think that it is not for them but nothing can beat live music of any sort, as these kind of events show.

Keep up the good work!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 22-10-2011, 16:12   #10
God Member

Frenchie "en plein aire" not bad G, thanks.

Try watching this one -it's how they do it in Italy for a big occasion -The Festa dell' Unità in Rome this year in March to mark the 150 Anniversary of the Unity of Italy (Garibaldi biscuits all round!) -directed by Riccardo Mutti.

Starts slowly and builds up incredibly after about 3 mins -even though it's a Hebrew Chorus you get a full blast of Italian Nationalism!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 22-10-2011, 16:13   #11
Give, give, give member

It's only a flash mob if the performers appear, and subsequently disappear, back into the crowd they came from.

If the flautist had suddenly pulled her instrument out of a frozen turkey, tucked away in her shopping bag, then it could conceivably be called a 'flash mob'.

Was there any cost to the tax payer, for these events in the north-east?

Be interesting to know, so we can weigh up the value of art.

Old 22-10-2011, 16:21   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's only a flash mob if the performers appear, and subsequently disappear, back into the crowd they came from.

If the flautist had suddenly pulled her instrument out of a frozen turkey, tucked away in her shopping bag, then it could conceivably be called a 'flash mob'.

Was there any cost to the tax payer, for these events in the north-east?

Be interesting to know, so we can weigh up the value of art.

It'd have to be a pretty big Turkey!

These kind of things may be considered priceless

What price the emotion felt ...cannot be quantified, methinks.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 22-10-2011, 16:49   #13
Junior Member+

I myself prefer the idea of a happening rather than a flashmob... I make lots of stuff in the north east.. I like to work with amatuers and also non professionals.. Just having an event on the street isnt the means and the ends, its more about getting peoples personalities into the work.. I did this one a while back about a tower block...Not a flash mob but is about getting peoples personalities across int he music by using non performers..

Old 22-10-2011, 21:45   #14
God Member

Realise the Italian version isn't a Flash mob, G -when would Mutti have the time for such things....

Don't think they've cottoned on to Flash mobs in Italy -perhaps i could introduce them as a medium....

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 22-10-2011, 22:47   #15
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnhec View Post
I myself prefer the idea of a happening rather than a flashmob... I make lots of stuff in the north east.. I like to work with amatuers and also non professionals.. Just having an event on the street isnt the means and the ends, its more about getting peoples personalities into the work.. I did this one a while back about a tower block...Not a flash mob but is about getting peoples personalities across int he music by using non performers..

Happening makes more sense artistic sense.

Interesting film.

Though setting it to music jarred with me. I'd have prefered to hear the stories as straight poems.

Who funds these events?

Tags
flashmob, opera, verdi

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..