Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2011, 08:30   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Vodaphone Mast in Hollins Lane

Yes, we all have mobile phones and want there to be masts, but not in a corporation-owned park whch houses a war memorial. This application would not have been made if the council had said 'No' to the applicant company in the first place. It is tantamount to
giving approval before the application is heard, and the council applying to the council for approval.

Let the responsible officers be asked to explain, and any councillor voting to approve the application be asked to give reasons for doing so.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2011, 08:38   #17
JFT96

I am not saying that they should put a mast there, just using reason.
So we should not put anything like this near war memorials, but it is okay to stick one on a school?
One of the ones near me is on a School and I am with Margaret R on this.

Unfortunately unless we all stop using these things, we are stuck with it.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 12:25   #18
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
So we should not put anything like this near war memorials, but it is okay to stick one on a school?

All the money spent by O2 & Vodaphone on phone masts so far, had been used more wisely, they could have put a satelite in orbit, then there would be no need for phone masts.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 12:49   #19
JFT96

Sorry to say Retlaw, it does not work like that. I have access, through my job, to a handheld satellite phone, its a recent one and not really pocket sized also the costs of call's are a lot more than cell phones.
Also you need line of site for sat phones, that's why deep Africa is great for them, the satellites are positioned over the equator.
Cell phones use different bandwidth and the strength is much weaker.

If the cell phone companies had worked together better then there would be less masts as they could have shared stations. Not forgetting the last governments involvement in selling the 3G band at a very high cost.

Old 15-07-2011, 14:10   #20
Beacon of light

I have a mobile phone in my handbag...switched off and only used very rarely........I mean I have had £20 on it for nearly a year(pay as you go).
I hate mobiles and only have one because my family feel it is a necessary line of contact(how, it is always switched off?)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 14:15   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post

No its not ok to put these near schools, they already tried to put one near Hollins school & backed down with the protest, same as it shouldnt be put in a conservation area/park/war memorial area either thats why we have to stand up to these companies then we're not "just stuck with it", there are better areas for them to stick it without offending so many people
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 14:26   #22
JFT96

I am with you on this,but also I am a realist.
We are stuck with cell phones and part of the problem is they need masts that are within range of the mobiles that will use them. Seeing most people who use cell phones live in built up areas means they have to site masts there.
Good luck with your protest

Old 16-07-2011, 15:39   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
No its not ok to put these near schools, they already tried to put one near Hollins school & backed down with the protest, same as it shouldnt be put in a conservation area/park/war memorial area either thats why we have to stand up to these companies then we're not "just stuck with it", there are better areas for them to stick it without offending so many people
So where do you suggest they do put it?
Its ok to keep saying no all the time but if you cant come up with a suitable site I suspect they will win the argument.

I think the mobile phone coverage should be done like the gas and electric transmission with a company controlling all masts which are shared and the phone companies pay to use them. That way you would not need several masts to cover the same area.
Old 16-07-2011, 17:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So where do you suggest they do put it?
Its ok to keep saying no all the time but if you cant come up with a suitable site I suspect they will win the argument.

I think the mobile phone coverage should be done like the gas and electric transmission with a company controlling all masts which are shared and the phone companies pay to use them. That way you would not need several masts to cover the same area.
Neil i'd already mentioned in an earlier post (which you edited today!) that King Georges playing field to me would be an ideal place, there's a vast area to pick from which is away from houses, agree with you about the shared mast theory, good idea
Old 16-07-2011, 18:42   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Neil i'd already mentioned in an earlier post (which you edited today!) that King Georges playing field to me would be an ideal place, there's a vast area to pick from which is away from houses, agree with you about the shared mast theory, good idea
I only edited your post to fix the end quote, I think [/ was missing, my edit comment said that.

I dont see why its disrespectful to have it near a War Memorial. Where exactly do they want to build it?
If its within the park then yes I disagree with it.

Last edited by Neil; 16-07-2011 at 18:44.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 22:58   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post

I dont see why its disrespectful to have it near a War Memorial. Where exactly do they want to build it?
If its within the park then yes I disagree with it.
The proposed site is right at side of the top gates to the Park at the top of Hollins Lane at 13.8m tall (45 feet) then I think you can understand why no-one wants it there. I know I keep saying this but its a conservation area. Also when I go up in November every year and stand in front of the War Memorial paying my respects, I dont want to see that monstrocity staring back at me.
Old 16-07-2011, 23:00   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

would be better still if they just banned sodding mobiles, another benefit from that......the roads would be safer also.
Old 16-07-2011, 23:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
would be better still if they just banned sodding mobiles, another benefit from that......the roads would be safer also.
and I'd save money every month too
Old 16-07-2011, 23:30   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
and I'd save money every month too
there yeh go mate,everyones a winner.
Old 17-07-2011, 00:23   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
The proposed site is right at side of the top gates to the Park at the top of Hollins Lane at 13.8m tall (45 feet)......
I agree it should not be put in a conservation area. Hyndburn have never appeared to do much if any conservation in our conservation areas and they certainly should not allow a mobile mast in one.

In the time I have living in the Rhyddings conservation area I have seen lots of things happen that should not. To be fair though LCC have recently removed the tarmac from the cobbles and restored the cobbles at the park gates.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..