Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-09-2008, 17:01   #1
Resting in Peace

Voltaires Revenge!!

So yet another energy company has been sold off.

This time to the French. Sold down the Seine
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-09-2008, 17:37   #2
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Voltaires Revenge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
So yet another energy company has been sold off.

This time to the French. Sold down the Seine
Someone please remind me again how good a job Brown and co are doing.

EDF intend to build four new nuclear power stations in the UK. Then what - four more? Then four more again and again and again until the UK becomes one huge nuclear energy factory, supplying France with electricity?
Old 25-09-2008, 09:15   #3
Resting in Peace

Re: Voltaires Revenge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Someone please remind me again how good a job Brown and co are doing.

EDF intend to build four new nuclear power stations in the UK. Then what - four more? Then four more again and again and again until the UK becomes one huge nuclear energy factory, supplying France with electricity?
Well we've already been sold down the river to Europe, might as well go the whole hog JB
Old 25-09-2008, 10:37   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Voltaires Revenge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well we've already been sold down the river to Europe, might as well go the whole hog JB
According to reports EDF is 80% owned by the French government and it has decreed that energy prices will be capped at 5% increase. But that only applies to prices in France.

So we in the UK get slammed with 25% or more increases to maintain the profit margins of EDF after only increasing the energy price in France by 5%. So in effect it is our money that is subsidising the French.

All we can hope for is that the shareholders of our nuclear energy company will turn down the take over. Some hope that is.

If the French can cap energy prices so can Brown but to do so would mean huge VAT losses.
Old 25-09-2008, 10:56   #5
Resting in Peace

I wonder how many MP's have shares in Utility company's.Or am I just a skeptic.
Old 25-09-2008, 11:12   #6
Super Moderator

Yes, but if we have any complaints against the energy companies we can take them up with Energywatch - the gas and electric watchdog...oh no, hang on, we can't anymore, because the government are closing it down next month to cut costs.
Old 25-09-2008, 15:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Yes, but if we have any complaints against the energy companies we can take them up with Energywatch - the gas and electric watchdog...oh no, hang on, we can't anymore, because the government are closing it down next month to cut costs.

They are. When did this come about?
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 15:38   #8
Super Moderator

energywatch: Home Page
Old 25-09-2008, 15:53   #9

Thats good! So postwatch, who are already having to deal with record complaints against Royal Mail will now have to absorb Energywatch as well eh....

Though we're still spending 33k per year per prisoner and propping up the bone idle so at least we've got our priorities right!

Cos it rocks!!!

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates (396-314 B.C.)
MikeSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 16:16   #10
Resting in Peace

Well its in Gordons DNA, whatever that was suppose to mean
Old 25-09-2008, 17:00   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well its in Gordons DNA, whatever that was suppose to mean

It means DO NOT ALLOW the honest, hardworking people of this once great country to have any money for things necessary to live.
mothernature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 17:06   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Voltaires Revenge!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernature View Post
It means DO NOT ALLOW the honest, hardworking people of this once great country to have any money for things necessary to live.
Nice one mothernature.
Old 25-09-2008, 19:30   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothernature View Post
I always thought it was National Dyslexic Association.
Old 25-09-2008, 21:08   #14
God Member

all started by thatcher and her cronies,just shows that all free enterprise does not work.im losing all belief in new labour now in fact im losing all belief in politicians of all parties.i thought they were voted in for the good of the county and people this is nothing short of treason.it just shows it is nothing to do with nationality ,it is to do with the shareholder now.this all started with the tories who were supposed to do with being patriotic when they had the falklands war we now know it was a smoke screen to sell the country down the river.it just shows their ideology is a sham and new labour are on thir way to be the same.is there not a monolopy commission in europe ? will they not be looking into this ?i suppose theres no point moaning now we all let them get away with it with our political apathy in this country. this is the time for the masses to protest or join these political parties and change them from the inside ..no wonder the majority of the youth think there is no future,they need inspiration and they are not getting it from the treacherous politicians of today;.oh i forgot the tories made it illegal to protest without getting hassle of the authorities....
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..