Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 17:52   #1

Volunteering

I feel as though I coud contribute more than i am, so I am looking to do some Voluntary work in the area. All I need to do is find a group that needs volunteers. Anybody know of any?
jrenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-01-2005, 19:10   #2

Re: Volunteering

Try the local libary or town hall, both should be able to supply you with a list of voluntary organisations.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 20:19   #3
Member.

Try your local Oxfam shop, Save the Children or the Sally Anne. How about the Vic or Age Concern giving voluntary support to the aged? Be prepare to under go a CRB Disclosure if your choose to work with kids or vulnerable people. Whatever you choose, good on you for standing up and doing something.......

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 20:37   #4
Beacon of light

The last time I was in the Accrington Cancer Research shop they were looking for volunteers,as was the British Heart Foundation. And If anyone receives a gift that they don't like or won't use....for whatever reason, then either of these charities would be glad of the donation.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 20:39   #5
Beacon of light

Oh... and for all of you that got some new clothes.....if you are thinking of having a wardrobe clearout then again these charities would be grateful of the donation.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 20:41   #6

It said on the TV earlier that Oxfam are crying out for people to work in there shops at the moment.

Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 21:45   #7
mez
God Member

i already do volunteer shopping for the age concern, organisation in accrington, they are always looking for volunteers in all areas of their work.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:52   #8

The Stables homeless shelter on Russia Street Accrington are always in need of volunteers they cater for young homeless male and females between the age of 16 to 25. The work is on rota you can do one shift a month or as many as you like, the shifts are 7-10pm or sleep in 10pm-8am. The co-ordinator's called Barbara Fishwick.
bobthedj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:12   #9
I am Banned

PLaces like the CAB are always on look out for volunteers, i did a voluntry placement there at Hyndburn or u could contact the CVS call Dorothy Symmes voluntry work sector on 879966 for information n placements interested for volunteers, thats how i did it.

HTH
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:03   #10

thanks for those suggestions guys. accystanmac who are the CVS?
Old 04-01-2005, 14:27   #11
I am Banned

I think its titled Central Volunteering Service they have all details n can put u down on the list for all volunteering jobs available n are best port of call as they have loads of volunteer positions possible n can put u in touch with a host of organisations needing help.

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenshaw
thanks for those suggestions guys. accystanmac who are the CVS?
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 17:28   #12
land of hope and glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrenshaw
I feel as though I coud contribute more than i am, so I am looking to do some Voluntary work in the area. All I need to do is find a group that needs volunteers. Anybody know of any?
are you looking for any payment of any sort,and can you travel?
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 19:06   #13

nope not looking for payment and can travel.

I've found this site http://www.do-it.org.uk/ which lets you search for volunteer vacancies within ant area of the uk.
Old 04-01-2005, 19:12   #14
mez
God Member

age concern are always looking for volunteers, telep: 01254 871010. e-mail [email protected] hope this helps in one cause.
Old 04-01-2005, 19:13   #15

why not try the local rspca s they are always struggling at this time of year due to thoughtless people at xmas either that or groups like the one at the foxhill bank nature reserve are always after volunteers to help keep the place clean and help improve it
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..