Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 11:34   #1
Resting in Peace

Water Water Water

United Utilities are planning to raise water rates by 3% above inflation over the next 5 years, I suppose it had to come
Old 11-08-2008, 11:41   #2
Loz

Re: Water Water Water

No great surprise with everything else going up.
Just another bit of bad news for everybody as if there isn't enough already!!
Old 11-08-2008, 12:43   #3
God Member

i pay £290 a year for my water, when i first moved into this house 12 years ago i only paid £150 a year, so its nearly doubled in that amount of time
Old 11-08-2008, 12:49   #4
God Member

We are on a meter so we pay for what we use.......does`nt work out to bad but we are careful with what we waste....
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 16:31   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
We are on a meter so we pay for what we use.......does`nt work out to bad but we are careful with what we waste....
I keep toying with the idea myself pipinfort, as I don't use that much water, I have a shower not a bath, only put the washer on about twice a week, only wash up once a day except at weekends, will have to give it some more thought
Old 11-08-2008, 17:52   #6

United Utilities are going to increase the rates for Churches of ALL denomonations by around 1300% rough guide is what costs £20 a week will cost around £250. This is mainly happening in the North West all will make some parishes uneconomical. UU are allowed to give reductions to charities and have refused to do so. Please sign the online petition www.petitions.pm.gov.uk/churchwaterbills and please email or write to Greg Pope. Even if you don't attend you may know someone who relies on their church for company etc.

If you spin the Windows Vista CD backwards you can hear satanic messages. Worse is if you spin it forward, it installs Vista on your computer.
No.9 Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 17:57   #7
Give, give, give member

...and guess who are the biggest polluters of our rivers and beaches?

Water firms are the biggest river polluters - Times Online

Sadly I second guess that this windfall will be trickling into it's shareholder's pockets, rather than be used to clean up our waterways.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 17:58   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I keep toying with the idea myself pipinfort, as I don't use that much water, I have a shower not a bath, only put the washer on about twice a week, only wash up once a day except at weekends, will have to give it some more thought

The rule of thumb is that if you have more rooms than occupants you will save money,my mum & dad had one put in, you can try it for a year and opt out if you don`t save money but when you sell the house the next occupants must be on the meter, they saved quite a bit as opposed their rates as only the 2 of them live in a big detached now we have flown the coup.....
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 18:52   #9
God Member

Paying for water What a concept! I pay a small amount to the city in my taxes so that I can use the city water, but it's such a small amount I don't bother to find out exactly what it is .... the only problem that we have is that sometimes in long hot dry spells the city puts some minor restrictions on watering lawns ... I suppose there are some advantages to living in a country which is home to most of the worlds available fresh water When we negotiated NAFTA with the yanks they wanted to make fresh water part of the agreement. Because we knew the buggers would try to screw us in the deal, and because Canadians want to keep control of our water, we refused .... if the yanks want our water and more access to our oil and natural gas the sons of bitches can damn well pay for it .... and pay large
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 19:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.9 Dream View Post
United Utilities are going to increase the rates for Churches of ALL denomonations by around 1300% rough guide is what costs £20 a week will cost around £250. This is mainly happening in the North West all will make some parishes uneconomical. UU are allowed to give reductions to charities and have refused to do so. Please sign the online petition www.petitions.pm.gov.uk/churchwaterbills and please email or write to Greg Pope. Even if you don't attend you may know someone who relies on their church for company etc.
Is it just churches or Places of Worship?
If it is the former I think there is a discrimination case here
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 19:25   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i think this increase is dead funny n ironic, bet more than half those complaining about it, will be the " Muppets" who pay through the nose fer bottled water.
Old 11-08-2008, 19:27   #12
God Member

How much water will a church use?- a water meter seems apt.
Other than for cleaning and, for some, blessing, what else?
If the vicar's residence has not paid in the past - he/she should have!

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 19:28   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i think this increase is dead funny n ironic, bet more than half those complaining about it, will be the " Muppets" who pay through the nose fer bottled water.
And how much of that bottled water has those three little letters on it PWS (Public Water Source). Which, I guess, means that it comes out of a bloody tap
Old 11-08-2008, 19:31   #14
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
And how much of that bottled water has those three little letters on it PWS (Public Water Source). Which, I guess, means that it comes out of a bloody tap
i know that eric, you know that, but try telling the muppets.
Old 11-08-2008, 19:47   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i know that eric, you know that, but try telling the muppets.
yeh ... I guess we are just not trendy .... I never drink water, fish screw in it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..