Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2007, 18:23   #1
Yank in King Art's Court!

Weapon of choice?

Just saw on the news that a local fellow (~65 years old) had a 16 year old kid break through his basement door. The home owner was in the kitchen. As he had yet to wash the dishes, he grabbed a frying pan and knocked the kid bloody as he came up the basement stairs.

In that situation, wonder what you'd grab to protect yourselves? Lot's of folks, myself including, have a club or bat near their bed. Think we'd use em? Or would some just run out of the house to a neighbors?

Although we all could escape out windows, I would really hope that I would be willing to head to the area of danger and confront the intruder(s). At least to give the family a chance to get free. My protection would be a broken maul handle as my guns are safely tucked away in the cellar!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-02-2007, 18:27   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Weapon of choice?

It's not quite the same over here. You can only use reasonable force, & even then it's usually up to the courts to decide if you had been a little heavy handed.

IMHO if somebody breaks into your home, you should be able to beat them senseless.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 18:28   #3
God Member

I don't know about weapon of choice, but in the UK the man protecting his home would end up being done for attempted murder or something equally daft.

I hope its not like that in the states!
Old 01-02-2007, 18:30   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

guns!!??
crikey got nowt like that over ere!!
I would probably run.....lol
honestly though I havent a clue what I would do, its always a different story when you get into that situation, but I would protect my kids anyway I can!!
Old 01-02-2007, 18:37   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
guns!!??
crikey got nowt like that over ere!!
I would probably run.....lol
honestly though I havent a clue what I would do, its always a different story when you get into that situation, but I would protect my kids anyway I can!!
Me too Panther, but surprising how much strength you acquire when in this type of situation, and especially with your kids in the house.

I only have a whistle by the side of my bed given to me by the Neighbourhood watch committee, in the theory that it's sharp shrill would awaken other neighbours .... mmmm.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 18:46   #6
Yank in King Art's Court!

Gosh, would you guys really get in trouble with the law if you used a frying pan on the perpetrator? In that case, my suggestion would be to finish him off then use all those shredders you have. No body, no problem (except for a bit of a messy shredder eh? ).

I'm pretty sure about this, over here if anyone enters your house, you have the right to protect yourself AND your property. I actually heard from the police that if someones trying to break into your home either wait until they get in, then dispose of them or nick em outside, drag em into your house and then call the police.

The police nor the courts have much simpathy for these kind of bad guys!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 18:51   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i know for sure if somebody broke in our house one of us would finish up eating hospital food. i also know if it was the felon I WOULD get done. i also know me head goes at injustice an i DO NOT give a stuff.
Old 01-02-2007, 18:59   #8
Resting in peace

I think that when self preservation kicks in, as must have done when the subject of this thread must have was attacked, the last thing on your mind (mine certainly) would be what punishment the courts would dish out to me for defending me and mine, as that does it not seem to worry the persons carrying out the attack on you.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 19:14   #9
Resident Waffler

Unfortunately Brian it's usually the victim of the break-in who ends up in court for defending themselves, and often in jail too.

Would you believe that burglars have even been known to successfully sue people when they get injured on anything a householder puts in their way as a means of burglar proofing the property? Mad isn't it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 19:14   #10
Foreign Correspondent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Gosh, would you guys really get in trouble with the law if you used a frying pan on the perpetrator? In that case, my suggestion would be to finish him off then use all those shredders you have. No body, no problem (except for a bit of a messy shredder eh? ).
Perhaps we could refer this one to the Holland's Pies thread?

When in darkness or in doubt, visit Oswaldtwistle!
Billcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 19:16   #11
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billcat View Post
Perhaps we could refer this one to the Holland's Pies thread?
emmm wonder what you mean
Old 01-02-2007, 19:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
My protection would be a broken maul handle as my guns are safely tucked away in the cellar!

Brian
As a good parent, I can understand your desire to keep the guns away from the children until you feel they are ready to be trained appropriately. My preference is a Smith & Wesson .38. My better half carries his dad's service semi - a Colt .45. Never had to face an intruder, (and hope we never do). However, are prepared should that time ever come.

Here in Georgia, you have a right to protect yourself, family and property. And that's how it should be.
bullseyebarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 19:18   #13
Senior Member+

I have both a hefty cricket bat and a baseball bat convienently placed to welcome the most un -welcome intruders and NOTHING would stop me protecting my little girl;be it the British law system or some knife wielding hoodie! It's a different matter at work (obviously when I was still employed) ,you are not paid enough to put your life on the line whilst lining some fat cat's pockets.
Old 01-02-2007, 19:18   #14
God Member

I confronted a burgler about 2 years ago.. it was around 2am and I was on the PC in the front room...I heard something in my kitchen and went to look and found a man (maybe teenage) half way through the window! he was was coming in head first (halfway in or halfway out).. I suppose I felt a mixture of fear and anger.. anyway the first thing to hand was a plastic broom (very light) by my kitchen door, to swing it and hit him with it would not have done much damage so I sort of prodded him back out of my window, shouting abuse at him.
I consider myself lucky, I dread to think what could have happend if this bloke had been fully in, a kitchen is full of knives and stuff and he might have got to them before me!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 19:28   #15
I am Banned

I have a carbon ceramic combat knife id use. With pressure relife hole to make it easier to take out and plunge back in again much quicker.
tadah is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..