Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-06-2008, 18:24   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Well Done Eire.

The Irish voted with a resounding NO!

The word is that Brown is still going to ratify the treaty in spite of the fact that it is now dead and buried by the EU’s own rules. Is there no end to this man’s arrogance?

So what’s next?

You can bet your bottom Euro that in a few months time the same treaty will be re-presented with a few minor changes and a different name. Brown, if he is still in office, will refuse to hold a referendum on the grounds that the original agreement to hold a referendum no longer applies because this latest edition is totally different, just like he did last time.

Make no mistake, whilst New Labour is in office they will get a treaty ratified by hook or by crook.
Old 13-06-2008, 18:42   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Well Done Eire.

Hurrah!

We agree.

Well done Ireland, for hopefully throwing a bloomin' big spanner in the works.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 19:27   #3
God Member

does anybody know what this treaty contains and what it is about??
cmonstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 19:30   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
According to polls most people in Eire didn't have a clue.

Old 13-06-2008, 19:39   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The simple answer to that is no - not even the people that have read it can understand it.But it seems that at certain times only certain countries will decide the course to take while at other times the ones that were excluded in the first place will take the place of them that were included in the first place.Not withstanding that some countries will be there in the first and second case just in case them in the second case disagreed with them in the first place.Never tell me the Irish are thick.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2008, 20:51   #6
God Member

Quote:
It doesn't seem to matter what it is all about. It's the thought that counts, not the details. We've had NAFTA for quite a while now, and I don't think anyone understands all the details. However, not too many people really like it all that much.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 08:48   #7
Resting in Peace

The trouble is that they are trying to unite 27 member states with one document, which is barmy and always has been, its time every member state was allowed the same privilege as the Irish, but they know that Ireland wouldn't be the only ones to kick it into touch
Old 14-06-2008, 09:05   #8
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Well Done Eire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
The simple answer to that is no - not even the people that have read it can understand it.But it seems that at certain times only certain countries will decide the course to take while at other times the ones that were excluded in the first place will take the place of them that were included in the first place.Not withstanding that some countries will be there in the first and second case just in case them in the second case disagreed with them in the first place.Never tell me the Irish are thick.
Sir Humphrey couldn’t have put it better.

Have some Karma.
Old 14-06-2008, 09:18   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Well Done Eire.

All 27 countries must ratify the treaty for it to be accepted. Meaning that if just one country said NO then the treaty would be dead and buried.

The people of Eire came back with an unequivocal NO!

The message from one of the un-elected bureaucrats from Brussels on Newsnight last night was that they would look at it again.

Which part of the word NO do they not understand?

The real problem with the EU is that it is ruled by UN-ELECTED ministers and until that is put right the EU will stagger from one very expensive situation to another.
Old 14-06-2008, 10:10   #10
God Member

The trouble is that people rant on about being anti Europe for no logical reason.. did anyone posting actually vote for a Euro MP ?.. I can just about see the image.. JamButty in his wheelchair, bombing down to the polling station with Garinda on his back doing the "jiggy" strange bed couples but true Erophiles!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 10:25   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The trouble is that people rant on about being anti Europe for no logical reason.. did anyone posting actually vote for a Euro MP ?.. I can just about see the image.. JamButty in his wheelchair, bombing down to the polling station with Garinda on his back doing the "jiggy" strange bed couples but true Erophiles!
Yip I did, never miss my vote at any election, to many people gave so much so we can all vote anyway if you don't vote you don't have a say
Old 14-06-2008, 12:55   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Well Done Eire.

Quote:
The rant of a true toe rag whose political acumen can be expressed on a pinhead using a thick felt tip pen.

To set the record straight I did vote for my MEP, not that it will do any good when the real power lies with UN-ELECTED OFFICIALS. And that is the key UN-ELECTED OFFICIALS.

Is that the best that you can do? Make disgusting innuendoes. Grow up you silly little jerk.

Also for the record I don’t use a wheelchair and the last person on earth that I would associate with would be Garinda.

So get lost!
Old 14-06-2008, 13:44   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
The only place I've ever carried Jambutty was on my back, to an Accy Web award.

Without me his username wouldn't be that sunny gold colour, he'd be green, and it would only be his personality that was so cheerfully sunny.

Old 14-06-2008, 13:59   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Sir Humphrey couldn’t have put it better.

Have some Karma.
Thanks for that JB Just glad i could clarify the position
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2008, 14:06   #15
Junior Member+

Well i live here in Republic of Ireland ( its not Eire that was when we were part of commonwealth, Ireland left that years ago) I returned here with my work in 2003 i was amazed to find over 300hundred thosand people from all over the Uk now are resident here, Ireland gained alot from E.U membership since 1979 three years ago Ireland became a contributor to the E.U budget and is a strong supporter of the European project. The main reason for voting No was a number of factors, the Yes campaign were very slow off the mark, every home got a copy of the treaty and debates were held in every town and city in the country by both camps, the treaty made great bedtime reading as really no one could understand it as it was done in technical terms. Irelands population has risen in past six years from under 3 million to just over 4 million and we have needed everyone we could get as this economy has seen growth of over 10percent for over past ten years, the whole country has been transformed, most major U.S. compaines especially computers and software are based in Ireland due to a well trained and educated workforce, the U.S investment in Ireland last year was 87 billion, and we have low unemployment. The main reasons for voting NO was that we feel it will threaten our neutrality, and we cannot agree that we should lose our veto for five years at a time, some of the social changes also were hard such maybe the Euopean court could force abortion laws here and we might lose our very low company tax payment ( the lowest in Europe) if these things had been adressed then the Yes vote would have won, we are not as a people antieuropean we are all for Europe but we must stop and take stock now, we dont want to lose our culture or our influence and this treaty did not address these issues, we have been in the Euro since it started and its bolstered our economy and provided stability, we have gained so much and we have welcomed the hundreds of thosands of european workers from all over Europe who have moved here in past five years, without them our economy could not have coped. Many BRitish companies have moved here and i know many families who have made there home here, i believe that we will be made consessions our Prime MInister has no problems with allowing the other 26 countries including the Uk to ratify the treaty, Croatia joins the E.U in 16 months and we might have an enabling treaty to join with them in meantime our country can try and get the concessions it needs and their is a willingness to do it. I noted the Uk is not going to have a referendum on the treaty that is sad in many ways, but in Republic of Ireland we must have a referendum by law on all changes to our constitution, we remain strong Europeans and always will be, but maybe this treaty needed redrafting my regards to all in Accrington especially those i worked with at ASDA

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..