Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2011, 11:01   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

We're all in it together

Another link from Jay's favourite comic:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ss-months.html

It's a comforting feeling to know I'm not alone in bearing the brunt of the economic downturn.

Worst umemployment figures in 17 years, well, it's such a long time ago, can someone remind me, who was in power back then?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-12-2011, 11:38   #2
God Member

Re: We're all in it together

It's all doom and gloom Less.

I have 2 unemployed sons at home.

You wouldn't know there was a recession on though if you saw people's trolleys full of stuff at the supermarket...

My Xmas this year is going to be quite modest - I have instructions to buy no presents from "The Boss" -just want to see his face when there's nothing for him to open on Xmas morning...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 12:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Another link from Jay's favourite comic:-

UK unemployment hits 17 year high: Highest number of women out of work since 1988 | Mail Online

It's a comforting feeling to know I'm not alone in bearing the brunt of the economic downturn.

Worst umemployment figures in 17 years, well, it's such a long time ago, can someone remind me, who was in power back then?
Coincidence, i think not.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 12:35   #4
Beacon of light

Of course it isn't coincidence, there has been a huge economic downturn...not just affecting this country.........but our manufacturing base has shrunk......in times like this people do not spend money(that is if they have any money).
Companies are fearful for the future and don't take on workers.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 12:38   #5
God Member

"Youth unemployment rose to 1.027 million, the highest since records began in 1992, beating the previous record set only last month"

Hardship?..they don't know ther born..in 30's they had nowt on thier feet until grandma went to work in t'pit
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 12:43   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Of course it isn't coincidence, there has been a huge economic downturn...not just affecting this country.........but our manufacturing base has shrunk......in times like this people do not spend money(that is if they have any money).
True..and slinging 67,000 public workers onto the dole in the last three months don't help.
Old 14-12-2011, 14:39   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Yep n when n why did the manufacturing base start to shrink big time? unless me memorys totally failing.i seem to remember the "Bitch From Hell" destroying it, but never mind financial Yuppies were created.
Old 14-12-2011, 14:58   #8
God Member

The manufacturing base has shrunk by minute proportions over the last 20yrs.. fact is it was totally destroyed in the 80's in favour of the "financial market".. it was ideology and an obsession for Mrs T and her lappies.. it still is today with Cameron .
Old 14-12-2011, 15:16   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The manufacturing base has shrunk by minute proportions over the last 20yrs.. fact is it was totally destroyed in the 80's in favour of the "financial market".. it was ideology and an obsession for Mrs T and her lappies.. it still is today with Cameron .
Is that not what i just said?
Old 14-12-2011, 15:19   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Is that not what i just said?
It was..I missed the destroyed bit

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..