Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2007, 04:08   #1
God Member

western troops dying to preserve this type of culture

American and British troops are being killed on a daily basis 'protecting and defending' the unfortunates in Iraq and Afghanistan yet this is being reported on the BBCs world news website
BBC NEWS | UK | England | London | Life for 'honour killing' father

a "honour" killing being carried out by Kurds living in the UK , if these folks can't or are unable to adjust to 'western' standards what chance is there for the folks (Kurds and other Iraqis) still living in their tribal homelands adjusting to democratic principles of Govt.

I may get some slagging , but I'm begining more and more to come to the realization that Democratic principles and ideals can only be understood and comprehended by peoples with Northern European/North American non-secratarian traditions (includes, Australia and New Zealand) .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-07-2007, 04:34   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: western troops dying to preserve this type of culture

Just hoping step-son is ok over in Basra. He was talking on phone to his Mum the other day and she said "whats that noise?" Heard him say "Mortor Bomb attack" and the a "CRUMP" when it exploded somewhere outside from him.

And with the news of 3 RAF being killed just seems it time to get them OUT!!!

Thats 162 killed in Iraq
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 01:34   #3
Senior Member+

the end solution will HAVE to be - split iraq up. under international supervision let the people go to areas appropriate to their own religious sects etc

it was the solution to the yugoslavia crisis so it'll be the same for this.
Old 23-07-2007, 08:48   #4
Resident Waffler

It won't stop them killing their own though will it? Don't these 'honour' murderers have any respect for the sanctity of human life? What part of 'Thou shalt not kill' don't they understand?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 13:47   #5
Resting in peace

What I can't understand is the majority of the girls born and brought up here still accept that they have to be selected for marriage, like the poor unfortunate girl who was the subject of the honour killing. May be they too are afraid that they will suffer the same fate, as who knows how many times this has happened before and nothing done about it. This may be an area worth investing more time and funds into.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 14:31   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
American and British troops are being killed on a daily basis 'protecting and defending' the unfortunates in Iraq and Afghanistan yet this is being reported on the BBCs world news website
BBC NEWS | UK | England | London | Life for 'honour killing' father

a "honour" killing being carried out by Kurds living in the UK , if these folks can't or are unable to adjust to 'western' standards what chance is there for the folks (Kurds and other Iraqis) still living in their tribal homelands adjusting to democratic principles of Govt.

I may get some slagging , but I'm begining more and more to come to the realization that Democratic principles and ideals can only be understood and comprehended by peoples with Northern European/North American non-secratarian traditions (includes, Australia and New Zealand) .
i aint gonna slag you steeljack but i'm not too sure they dont comprehend democratic ways of life, not all i might add, but some comprehend and have NO WISH to comply is my honest opinion,those people want US to comply with theirs to a degree.
Old 23-07-2007, 14:39   #7
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i aint gonna slag you steeljack but i'm not too sure they dont comprehend democratic ways of life, not all i might add, but some comprehend and have NO WISH to comply is my honest opinion,those people want US to comply with theirs to a degree.
Now then that is the point cashy. They understand ok, the idea of arranged marriages is in my humble opinion, purely and simply to keep the money in the family, or bring some more cash in. Have you noticed how many of the Asian families marry first and second cousins, this also can lead to genetic problems, but that's another subject.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 18:24   #8
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
What part of 'Thou shalt not kill' don't they understand?

There's a whole swathe of the Western world which struggles with that commandment.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 18:34   #9
Resident Waffler

The same applies to anyone who thinks the same.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 19:21   #10
God Member

They dont want power to the people just power to a "select few" group that want to do as they please and bring down those not in the "select group" Its got to the stage IMHO that the people in these countries aint a clue whats best for them. As for "honour killing" that is the "select few" wanting to exert power of the rest regardless of the laws of the country that the live in. Do we really have the right to impose democratic principles on those that dont or wont want?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..